Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Change In TPIR MDS...  (Read 11048 times)

urbanpreppie05

Change In TPIR MDS...
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:39:18 AM »
Link

If the link doesn't work, here's the skinny (via Brandon Bridges at GR.net)

-No more bonus wheel spinning- however the stakes have been raised
-$1M is awarded if the contestant completes a DSW within $1,000.
-The Million dollar game will be announced prior to playing (probably when the contestant is on stage, after the prize is announced) However, to win the game, the game must be played PERFECTLY. Ie., only two numbers pulled in Money Game, only the car numbers lit up in Any Number, Only three chances used in 10 chances, etc...

I think this format is MUCH better than the bonus spin used at the end of the show, and light years better than the "draw a name out of a drum" idea used in one of the previous MDS'.

Thoughts? Comments?
insert signature here

tvwxman

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:59:24 AM »
On one hand, I like it a lot more than the old way with the bonus spin.

OTOH, if I see Double Prices or Most Expensive played for a mil, I'm going to be more than slightly dissapointed. Same goes for a rediculously easy showcase.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TheInquisitiveOne

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:04:43 AM »
Okay. This I can roll with.

I said there should be no more "guaranteed spins," and I got that. The rest of the changes I can dig with...

...I just have one problem with the DSW window. Despite the showcases being of much larger value during the primetime shows, $1,000 is too large of a window in my honest opinion. For me, $500 would be the ideal range. Given the accuracy of bids in the previous 20 or so MDS, however, I can understand this logic.

As for the "Million Dollar Game," I think it would be fitting if it's played on a game where the chance of doing something to a tee is already rough as it is. Plinko is a prime example of this: if someone gets $50,000, the prize is bumped up to $1,000,000. If someone can pull the numbers on Three Strikes and put them in the right positions WITHOUT getting a strike, s/he wins $1,000,000. The concept works perfectly; just don't pitch any softballs (i.e. winning the car in the first two pulls on Money Game is a bit easier than what some circles think...)

Kudos to CBS for making the $1,000,000 spectacular work without changing the concept of TPIR.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Matt Ottinger

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:23:16 AM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'177653\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 11:04 AM\']
Plinko is a prime example of this: if someone gets $50,000, the prize is bumped up to $1,000,000. If someone can pull the numbers on Three Strikes and put them in the right positions WITHOUT getting a strike, s/he wins $1,000,000. [/quote]
But here you're talking about situations that fall into the category of Things That Will Not Happen.  (I know no one's ever come close to winning Plinko absolutely perfectly, and if a player has ever managed it on Three Strikes, I'd be mightily impressed.)  

There are certainly mid-range difficulty games that they could use.  Ten Chances strikes me as an ideal choice, and many of the better car games wouldn't be bad.  But a million dollar win has to at least seem plausible to people, which is why I thought the 'plus one' Big Wheel solution worked.  The odds were never worse than one in twenty that somebody would win the million.  What we don't know is whether TPTB want to make the million dollar win easier or harder at this point, but under this new plan they've given themselves more control over the odds.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 11:23:45 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TheInquisitiveOne

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'177655\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 12:23 PM\']There are certainly mid-range difficulty games that they could use.  Ten Chances strikes me as an ideal choice, and many of the better car games wouldn't be bad.  But a million dollar win has to at least seem plausible to people, which is why I thought the 'plus one' Big Wheel solution worked.  The odds were never worse than one in twenty that somebody would win the million.  What we don't know is whether TPTB want to make the million dollar win easier or harder at this point, but under this new plan they've given themselves more control over the odds.
[/quote]

I agree with what you're saying. I was speaking more in the relative sense...that being, there should be some challenge to winning the Million Dollar Game, instead of just attaching the cash prize to a game, something Matt the Weatherman implied:

OTOH, if I see Double Prices or Most Expensive played for a mil, I'm going to be more than slightly dissapointed.

The Three Chances Example works well...or (if I am wrong, please tell me so) getting all five cars on the first roll of Let 'Em Roll, aligning the right prices with the right prizes in Race Game. Again, these are just examples. Adding the challenge without changing the scope of the game would be the ideal way to go.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

Mike Tennant

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 11:49:13 AM »
Of course, aside from the potential Showcase win of $1 million, this still leaves the possibility that the Showcase, which is supposed to be the climax of the show, could end up paling in comparison to someone's earlier $1 million win in a pricing game.  The big winner of the night might not even end up in the Showcase.  If it were up to me, I'd use the Showcase-bid-within-$1,000 as the only way someone could win the million.  That way we have the biggest win at the end of the show (unless it's a double overbid, which ain't likely to happen) regardless of whether the big bucks are won, and a spectacularly big win if the winner also gets the million.  Bring the family and friends onstage and drop the balloons and confetti.  There's not even any need to stop tape for a cleanup since it's the end of the show anyway.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 12:22:39 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'177653\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 11:04 AM\']Given the accuracy of bids in the previous 20 or so MDS, however, I can understand this logic.[/quote]Surely you jest (yes, I know that only one bid was revealed).
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 01:13:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'177659\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 12:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'177653\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 11:04 AM\']Given the accuracy of bids in the previous 20 or so MDS, however, I can understand this logic.[/quote]Surely you jest (yes, I know that only one bid was revealed).[/quote]
Yes, he was jesting.  When he said "Given the accuracy...", what he literally meant was "Given the inaccuracy..."  He was saying that since the MDS typically have really, really bad bids, offering a $1000 window rather than a $500 window makes more sense if they ever hope to have a winner, even though his preference would be a $500 window as a measure of skill.

weaklink75

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 01:17:45 PM »
Here's some other possible games you could feasibly make MDG's:

-Hole in One (get all the prices right, and make the putt the first time)

-Five Price Tags (four for four on the small prices plus correct car pick first time)

-Range Game (put a smaller range within the $150 range- maybe $5 either side of the center)

-Pathfinder (no mistakes)

It does seem like a lot of the car games are the ones more suited for a MDG possibility, doesn't it?

mxc0427

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 01:25:20 PM »
So, is the whole $1,000,000 bonus spin (in the showcase showdown) still in effect then?

Matt Ottinger

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »
[quote name=\'mxc0427\' post=\'177666\' date=\'Feb 12 2008, 01:25 PM\']
So, is the whole $1,000,000 bonus spin (in the showcase showdown) still in effect then?[/quote]
No.  As the original poster said, there is no more bonus wheel spinning.  (Presumably that only refers to the Million Dollar Spin, and not to the bonus spin you get anyway - but for lower stakes - when you get $1.00.)

TheInquisitiveOne

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 03:45:38 PM »
I sense a slight augmentation in the bonus spin prize (probably $10,000 for green and $25,000 for the dollar), but the Million Dollar Spins are effectively done.

As for games where $1,000,000 prizes are feasible:

Punch-a-Bunch: just slip one (and only one) $1,000,000 slip in the field of 50.

Card Game: Get within $100 of the actual retail price of the car without going over (a slight nod to older daytime showcase rules).

Temptation: Have the right price of the car without having to change digits.

Pocket Change: Get the price of the car while keeping the "pocket change" value at $0.25.

Switcheroo: Get all five prices right the FIRST time.

Let me stop before this gets too fun. :)

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 03:52:50 PM »
I see this thread taking a nosedive in a hurry.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 04:07:03 PM »
I guess I'm no fun.  I think it just should have been a primetime special...kick up the prize budget a little and have the wheel bonus be $100,000.  No $1,000,000 special bonus or after-wheel "we guaranteed a million-dollar spin!!" spin.  Just good 'ol TPIR with a little prize extra.

/it's starting to reek of a Million Dollar Mission.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Casey

Change In TPIR MDS...
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 05:49:32 PM »
The only thing that bugs me about this is that where before, each contestant who won his way on stage had a chance (albeit a very small one) to win the $1 million, now, only the contestant who was lucky enough to be on stage when the million dollar game is played (and the 2 showcase players) gets that chance.  I was never wild about the million dollar spin idea before, but I'm not real wild about this either.  Just make the budget bigger...