Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid question  (Read 5582 times)

Jay Temple

Pyramid question
« on: January 25, 2008, 01:30:27 AM »
I'm aware of at least two trips to the Winner's Circle where they got buzzed on two categories for illegal clues. (One of them is the YouTube clip where Tom Poston receives and the contestant wins $0.) Has there been a round with three?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Kevin Prather

Pyramid question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 01:40:51 AM »
The Tom Poston clip only has one DQ, but I remember one time Adrienne Barbeau, of all people, getting zapped on two consecutive categories. "The flowers in spring" for "Things that bloom" and "Peanut brittle" for "Things with nuts."

To answer your question, though, Jackay Harry was on and got buzzed on three. The clip was on PoC a while back.

Eric Paddon

Pyramid question
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 02:30:33 AM »
I have just received a "lost" $20K Pyramid from Feburary 1978 where Joyce Bulifant in the Winners Circle gets buzzed on two consecutive categories.    "Things That Are Crossed" she starts getting desperate when the contestant isn't getting it and goes "Yourself in church" and then adds "When you genuflect" and after getting buzzed on this one, she gets all flustered on the top box "Things that are chopped" and gives as a clue "An axe."

William A. Padron

Pyramid question
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:52:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'176213\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 02:30 AM\']
I have just received a "lost" $20K Pyramid from Feburary 1978 where Joyce Bulifant in the Winners Circle gets buzzed on two consecutive categories.    "Things That Are Crossed" she starts getting desperate when the contestant isn't getting it and goes "Yourself in church" and then adds "When you genuflect" and after getting buzzed on this one, she gets all flustered on the top box "Things that are chopped" and gives as a clue "An axe."
[/quote]
Is that episode from the week Joyce played against Ron Glass?  I was in the audience, sitting in the balcony, for the Monday and Tuesday shows from that taping session at ABC Studio TV-15.  The only thing I could recall now, after the show went on its lunch break, was Joyce herself getting and acknowledging attention from the theater audience adoring her before she went back to her dressing room.
[Take The "A" Train]

jmangin

Pyramid question
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 09:01:30 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'176210\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 01:40 AM\']
To answer your question, though, Jackeé Harry was on and got buzzed on three. The clip was on PoC a while back.
[/quote]

She said "animals...stuffed animals" for "Things that are Stuffed",

"Contacts" for "Things with a Lens" (contacts are lenses),

...and "A wave....a wave top" for "Things with a Crest" (obviously, the wave top is the crest).

Am I mistaken or was she replaced part-way through the week due to her poor game play?

Fedya

Pyramid question
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 09:07:52 AM »
Didn't Dick Cavett get buzzed three times on the $100KP?  There's an episode from the season that GSN used to air ad nauseam in which he gets buzzed multiple times, and then on the $300 box, with time running out, unleashes a string of obscenities.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Eric Paddon

Pyramid question
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 12:39:59 PM »
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'176226\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 08:52 AM\']
Is that episode from the week Joyce played against Ron Glass?  I was in the audience, sitting in the balcony, for the Monday and Tuesday shows from that taping session at ABC Studio TV-15.  The only thing I could recall now, after the show went on its lunch break, was Joyce herself getting and acknowledging attention from the theater audience adoring her before she went back to her dressing room.
[/quote]

Yes, this show is from that week and it is the Monday show.    A contestant from Rhode Island, who had been on this show and the previous Friday show with Anne Meara and Nipsey Russell had both of his appearances taped by the local Radio Shack since he didn't own his own VCR at the time.

Jay Temple

Pyramid question
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 03:06:10 PM »
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'176226\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 07:52 AM\']
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'176213\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 02:30 AM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Sidetrack of my own thread: I had to re-read these posts to be sure I wasn't picturing Elaine Joyce. Apparently they both were aware of people confusing them. They should have done a challenge week, like Crystal/Viscuso.

William A. Padron

Pyramid question
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 04:09:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'176257\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 12:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'176226\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 08:52 AM\']
[/quote]

Yes, this show is from that week and it is the Monday show.    A contestant from Rhode Island, who had been on this show and the previous Friday show with Anne Meara and Nipsey Russell had both of his appearances taped by the local Radio Shack since he didn't own his own VCR at the time.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was also there for the Anne Meara/Nipsey Russell week also in 1978, for the Wednesday through Friday episodes, sitting on the right side balcony at TV-15 with some of my high school classmates that taping day.  One highlight I can recall easily from the Meara/Russell taping session was one of the old GE color cameras used [#4] had a malfunction, and taping had to stop to try in fixing the problem (the production crew then had to finish the episode with one less unit).  

Meanwhile during the stopdown, Nipsey gives out, by request from the theater audience, poems in any subject on the spot given.  As always, Nipsey brought the house in laughter for each poem he improvised and told.
[Take The "A" Train]

Eric Paddon

Pyramid question
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »
Great stories!    To complement them, here's the contestant's recollections of those two tapings (passed along by a mutual acquaintance).

"A good friend of our family's (and a long-time real estate agent) Marc Archambault started talking about his Christmas party and how he took out his old "Pyramid tape for laughs." I kept asking and was stunned to find out he was on the Pyramid, back when Dick Clark was hosting and it was filmed in NYC. I assume this was '78 or so?

"Apparently Marc was on 2 shows -- paired with Joyce Bouilfant (MATCH GAME, right?) on one show, and then with Ron Glass on the other.

"He hated being with Glass because, he said, Glass had a fetish for the camera capturing one angle of his face. So when Glass read the clues to him, he wasn't even looking at Marc's face but to an angle -- just because of how he looked on TV! And then when they had a choice of whether to give or receive, Marc tried to say he wanted to give (because it was obvious how bad Glass was), but Glass took the little monitor and grabbed it right from him.  

"Joyce Boiulfant was better, he said, though she did a "dumb blonde routine" but wasn't much smarter than she appeared!

"He also talked about how as soon as the taping was done Clark would move several steps where his handlers had his shoes and "comfortable clothes" waiting...apparently they were holding up a plane for him at LaGuardia. "

Jay Temple

Pyramid question
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 09:11:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'176311\' date=\'Jan 25 2008, 06:22 PM\']"Glass had a fetish for the camera capturing one angle of his face. So when Glass read the clues to him, he wasn't even looking at Marc's face but to an angle -- just because of how he looked on TV!"[/quote]
Interesting. I recall an ep of Barney Miller where his character, Harris, was supposed to shave his moustache for an assignment. (I want to say he was supposed to be disguised as a woman, but I may be conflating it with a Dietrich story line.) He really didn't want to, and he finally came right and said, "Because it just looks so darn good, Barn!" I guess Glass wasn't so different from his character.

Esoteric Eric

Pyramid question
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'176344\' date=\'Jan 26 2008, 06:11 AM\']Interesting. I recall an ep of Barney Miller where his character, Harris, was supposed to shave his moustache for an assignment. (I want to say he was supposed to be disguised as a woman, but I may be conflating it with a Dietrich story line.)[/quote]Over the course of the series, all the detectives took a turn in drag for a similar assignment.  Harris'* (and apparently, Glass'*) unwillingness to shave for the assignment / episode was the focal point.

(* ...or is it "Harris's" and "Glass's?"  I was at one of the events for KenJen's new book, at which he said he thought the title should be Ken Jennings' Trivia Almanac, rather than Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac, but someone told him "Jennings's" is acceptable now.)

(And you thought I couldn't bring this back OT (kinda)...)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Steve Gavazzi

Pyramid question
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 11:27:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' post=\'176354\' date=\'Jan 26 2008, 11:09 AM\'](* ...or is it "Harris's" and "Glass's?"  I was at one of the events for KenJen's new book, at which he said he thought the title should be Ken Jennings' Trivia Almanac, rather than Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac, but someone told him "Jennings's" is acceptable now.)[/quote]
<Fifth grade teacher's son>The only words you can turn into possessives with just an apostrophe are plurals that end with S.  "Jennings" is singular.</Fifth grade teacher's son>

Jay Temple

Pyramid question
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 12:58:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'176357\' date=\'Jan 26 2008, 10:27 AM\']
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' post=\'176354\' date=\'Jan 26 2008, 11:09 AM\'](* ...or is it "Harris's" and "Glass's?"  I was at one of the events for KenJen's new book, at which he said he thought the title should be Ken Jennings' Trivia Almanac, rather than Ken Jennings's Trivia Almanac, but someone told him "Jennings's" is acceptable now.)[/quote]
<Fifth grade teacher's son>The only words you can turn into possessives with just an apostrophe are plurals that end with S.  "Jennings" is singular.</Fifth grade teacher's son>
[/quote]
Your parent and my fifth-grade teacher taught us different things, then. I was taught that the sound is all that matters. (Hence the hymn, "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name".)

Robert Hutchinson

Pyramid question
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 01:12:45 PM »
My rule of thumb (much better than trying to remember what my 5th-grade teacher said) is to put apostrophe-s any time that you would add an extra "s" sound when saying the word. So, Jennings', Glass's, but (IMO) either Jesus' or Jesus's, since I can hear that being said either way.

In practice, though, I tend to write apostrophe-no-s almost all the time, since it looks cool.

And my only contribution to the Ron Glass discussion is that, AFAIK, he didn't have a problem in 2002 with a Firefly plotline involving another character being traumatized by his un-tied-back hair.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin