Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You be the Password judge  (Read 2116 times)

lobster

You be the Password judge
« on: December 21, 2007, 01:15:36 AM »
So in preparation for the audition, I was practicing with some pals and we came across an interesting scenario ..  (we were doing straight-up Password, not cashword-style which would have been tremendously easier)..words were chosen by a fellow Password nerd and knew how to pick quality Password-grade words.. :D and so (whispering) the password was "EMERALD"

Trying to think of the one quintessential clue was tricky, because there were many clues that would have allowed the challengers to lock on the follow-up.. so I couldn't give the clue "GREEN" or "GEM" because either would not obviously yield "Emerald" on the first shot (but would make for an easy 2nd clue solve).. Flashed through a few Oz references, but then decided to loophole it and settle for "GREENSTONE" since that's a somewhat known last name and proper words are acceptable.  (upon further review, it's actually also a small city in Canada :D)  Anyway, the debate comes in the way I pronounced it.  I held an ever-so-slight pause (if you can almost imagine Christopher Walken saying it) to suggest them as separate words, but really, it is also one word as well no matter how slow you say it :D..  

I slowed it down instead of saying it "normally" to avoid any chance they might think I'm trying to get them to guess the first name of someone w/ the last name of Greenstone.  devious, perhaps.. allowable?  Dunno...   I mean, at least on SP you were allowed to stretch words and change pitch and tone to subtly hint .. (uh, anyone remember Christopher Hewett actually SINGING the word "GARY-mm-mm-mmm-mm-mmm-mm-mmm-mmm-mm-mm-mmm-mmm" to the tune of the song "Gary, Indiana" to try to bait the contestant into the easy password of "Indiana"??  (didn't work.  btw, quintessential = "hoosiers"  ;D)

so, my question is, would my drawn-out pronunciation of "Greenstone" fly?

Just tryin' to get the record straight so I know what tricks I should and shouldn't unleash incase a call comes in January :D

cheers
LObs

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 01:40:04 AM »
If your partner is aware of the rules of the game, he or she would realize that using two words is unacceptable and that person might think you are trying to get them to say Canada.  

Why not try the -ed trick?  When I say Leggassied what do you say?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 01:43:43 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 02:36:27 AM »
would my drawn-out pronunciation of "Greenstone" fly?
Yes.

I'll leave it to others to determine whether emerald falls into the classification of greenstone (irrelevant for the purposes of playing Password).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 02:40:01 AM by chris319 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 03:34:42 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'172679\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 10:40 PM\']
When I say Leggassied what do you say?
[/quote]
"eh-eh-eh-eh", because "Lagasseed" is not a word. Clever thinking, but not a word, no matter how much "last name-ed" has entered the public lexicon.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 03:35:56 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

geno57

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 08:55:26 AM »
I'd be okay with the Greenstone, but only if the ever-so-slight pause would be eliminated between the syllables.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 09:14:24 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'172688\' date=\'Dec 21 2007, 03:34 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'172679\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 10:40 PM\']
When I say Leggassied what do you say?
[/quote]
"eh-eh-eh-eh", because "Lagasseed" is not a word. Clever thinking, but not a word, no matter how much "last name-ed" has entered the public lexicon.
[/quote]

Very true.  My only hope is if they use Wikipedia as the word authority.....:)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:17:06 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 06:34:01 PM »
"Greenstone" is an actual word and not just a proper noun, according to my word authority, Doctor Dictionary.com of the Favorites folder. The definition has nothing to do with "emerald," but the fact that it actually is one word is a sufficient loophole. It's legal.

lobster

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 07:07:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'172722\' date=\'Dec 21 2007, 05:34 PM\']
"Greenstone" is an actual word and not just a proper noun, according to my word authority, Doctor Dictionary.com of the Favorites folder. The definition has nothing to do with "emerald," but the fact that it actually is one word is a sufficient loophole. It's legal.
[/quote]

Yessir, I figured the word itself is legal, but if the delivery was "Greeeeennnnnnnn....stone" would there be a buzzer?  :D ..  Those who say such delivery would be illegal I point to my Christopher Hewett singing "Gary, Indiana" with his clue instance :o .. we'll see how clear they make the rules of tone and word-stretching ...

You'd hope that if the password was "Railroad" you can't sing "Iiiii'vveeeeeeee" to the tune of "I've been working on the railroad" -- cuz otherwise it becomes don't forget the lyrics :p

LObs

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 09:53:51 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'172726\' date=\'Dec 21 2007, 07:07 PM\']You'd hope that if the password was "Railroad" you can't sing "Iiiii'vveeeeeeee" to the tune of "I've been working on the railroad"[/quote]
You would? I wouldn't. (Singing "working" that way might be a better idea, though.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

lobster

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 10:28:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'172748\' date=\'Dec 21 2007, 08:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'172726\' date=\'Dec 21 2007, 07:07 PM\']You'd hope that if the password was "Railroad" you can't sing "Iiiii'vveeeeeeee" to the tune of "I've been working on the railroad"[/quote]
You would? I wouldn't. (Singing "working" that way might be a better idea, though.)
[/quote]

where would they draw the line though?  if the word was "Tequila" could I go "al-co-" and then sing the entire "tequila" song with the last syllable?  :p

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 11:07:13 PM »
Nothing in the bible against the sung clues as described here.