Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The return of the Not-so-easy questions  (Read 3876 times)

urbanpreppie05

The return of the Not-so-easy questions
« on: September 25, 2003, 06:30:04 PM »
1. Was there an armed forces TPIR special in the 90s? I've seen pictures of it on TV...when did it air?

2. Can someone either give details or forward me to a site that has pictures of the 1980 LMAD set? And, what made this version so bad, anyway?

3. Was it true that Feud was supposed to be revived back in 1997?

4. When they did the 1/2 hour specials of TPIR, did Bob ever acknowledge that it was a special version...or did Rod, even?

5. Weren't there pilots for Rock Pyramid, Rock Feud and a new version of Name That Tune? And if so, were pilots ever shot?

6. BONUS: was ever there a version of TPIR in Canada?
insert signature here

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 06:44:54 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 05:30 PM\'] 1. Was there an armed forces TPIR special in the 90s? I've seen pictures of it on TV...when did it air?

2. Can someone either give details or forward me to a site that has pictures of the 1980 LMAD set? And, what made this version so bad, anyway?

4. When they did the 1/2 hour specials of TPIR, did Bob ever acknowledge that it was a special version...or did Rod, even?

5. Weren't there pilots for Rock Pyramid, Rock Feud and a new version of Name That Tune? And if so, were pilots ever shot?

6. BONUS: was ever there a version of TPIR in Canada? [/quote]
 1. I've read early-90s, I believe during Desert Storm, making it 1991.

3. Was this supposed to be the version with Dolly Parton?

4. From the one I remember from c. 1992, yes, Bob did acknowledge it as a special half-hour ep.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 06:52:17 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 05:30 PM\'] 1. Was there an armed forces TPIR special in the 90s? I've seen pictures of it on TV...when did it air?

6. BONUS: was ever there a version of TPIR in Canada? [/quote]
 I can help with a couple

2: I saw the 1980-81 verison at this years GSC. The set was simular as the previous version but the budget was ULTRA cheep. The \"Big Deal\" was just slightly above $4000.

3: According to a fan site, they were planning a revival in 1997 with Richard Dawson as host.

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Little Big Brother

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 06:58:13 PM »

VH1 Did have \"Name That Video\" which was a VERY short-lived updated version of Name That Tune.  There were a number of differences from the old show (number of contestants, category format, bid-a-vid based on seconds rather than notes, etc.), but the gist of the program was the same.

I think this was back in 2001, but I could be mistaken.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 07:06:57 PM »
Rock Pyramid = No
Rock FEud = Yes
Name that Tune = No Idea.

I do know that a Rock Feud was planned for VH1 back a couple years ago, near the waning days of R&RJ!, but, around the time that Rock J! was canned, the Rock FF plans were cancelled too

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 07:19:54 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 05:52 PM\']
3: According to a fan site, they were planning a revival in 1997 with Richard Dawson as host.

-Joe R. [/quote]
 3. Dolly Parton hosted a Feud pilot in 1997, Dawson did not.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 08:18:06 PM »
I'm with you. I wanna know more about the '80 LMAD's set and flaws, but we'll wait until somebody who knows comes along...as for my usefulness here:

3. I believe this was around the time they (Pearson) announced they'd revive \"Feud\" with Dolly Parton as host. If a pilot was produced...here's betting Mr. Ottinger will know...

5. ...because he provided my answer for this one. According to a post I believe on ATGS, Matt said the pilot for \"Rock Feud\" was on Louie's set. I can't remember any other details other than the awful addition of a handheld cam that did some seisure inducing shots.

The only NTT pilot of somewhat recent time I can think of is the '89-90 area in which a pilot was done with Fred Allen. Its format was paralleled a deal in the CD-I game \"Name That Tune\" released in the mid-90s.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 08:21:30 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 08:18 PM\']
The only NTT pilot of somewhat recent time I can think of is the '89-90 area in which a pilot was done with Fred Allen. Its format was paralleled a deal in the CD-I game \"Name That Tune\" released in the mid-90s.

[/quote]
Fred Allen died in 1956. Peter Allen [who also hosted the pilot of The Hollywood Game] hosted the aforementioned NTT pilot.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=peter+al...vard.edu&rnum=4

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=peter+al....aol.com&rnum=3

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=peter+al....aol.com&rnum=6
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 08:25:14 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

Skynet74

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 08:40:29 PM »
------------------------------

It seems like most members here never even saw this version. So since I hardly missed an episode, perhaps this question is for me.  

I don't think the 1980 version of Let's Make A Deal was bad at all. As a matter of fact it is my favorite version to Date! I'll tell you why. The show had a nice new feel from it's ABC Days. Revamped set. Awsome theme music. As a matter of fact all the music was updated. Much of that prize music made it's way to the The All New Let's Make A Deal from 1984-86 too.

The 1980 version also wasn't taped in Los Angeles. It was taped in Vancouver Canada. So I think that added to the diversity of the contestants. The studio also seemed a tiny bit smaller. So it was more intimate as well. The announcer Chuck Chandler did an awsome job. Just like Jay Stewart, I remember Chuck being a husky guy with a booming voice. He did a great job. Yes the prize amounts were nothing spectacular, but this was 1980. At that time they really didn't need to be. People were just happy with whatever they won. It was definately a good revival. A definate favorite of mine that I wish Game Show Network could get a hold of.

John
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 08:42:35 PM by Skynet74 »

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2003, 08:47:19 PM »
I don't think the 1980 version of Let's Make A Deal was bad at all. As a matter of fact it is my favorite version to Date!

I liked that version a lot, too. A UHF station in my area ran it at 10:30am followed by The Hollywood Squares from Las Vegas at 11am and The $50,000 Pyramid at 11:30am and I recall that game block fondly.
A highlight of LMAD '80 was during the quickie deals at the end, Monty Hall asked an elderly gentleman on the trading floor to whistle a particular tune (I forget which song) for $100. The old man then said, \"All right, but I'll have to take my teeth out first\", which he started to do [which, of course, was met with much laughter] but Monty stopped him and said, \"Just for saying that, you've already earned the $100\".
« Last Edit: September 25, 2003, 08:47:42 PM by Don Howard »

bricon

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 08:48:21 PM »

A demo tape was made for Rock & Roll Pyramid (only one game), a pilot was made of Rock Feud, and indeed the last version of Name That Tune to be put on tape was the Peter Allen hosted pilot in 1989.  A syndicated version was being prepared in 1991 or so, and a 13-week revival was announced for summer 1998, but neither came to pass.  The 1991 version came about three weeks from taping date when the plug was pulled.

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2003, 09:14:58 PM »
4. From the one I remember from c. 1992, yes, Bob did acknowledge it as a special half-hour ep.

They also did half-hour TPiRs in 1988, 1990, and 1994...Rod's opening spiel was even modified to begin \"Here it comes...a special half-hour edition of television's most exciting show, the fabulous PiR!\"

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

ChuckNet

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2003, 09:16:47 PM »
The announcer Chuck Chandler did an awsome job. Just like Jay Stewart, I remember Chuck being a husky guy with a booming voice. He did a great job.

For those who've never seen the 1980 version, Chandler was best described by the GSC-X gang as \"looking like Jay Stewart and sounding like Brian Cummings\". :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

vtown7

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2003, 10:41:15 AM »
6. BONUS: was ever there a version of TPIR in Canada? 

There was... sort of.  Television Quatre Saisons, a Quebec television network, did \"Misez Juste\" in the early nineties.  It wasn't half bad, actually.  Pricing games were changed accordingly - grand game, for example, offered a prize of $2000 CDN.  This I would think was to parallel their grand prize of $2000 on La Guerre des Clans (Family Feud).  Interesting to note as well that you only got $1000 on the wheel if you got the $1 in one spin.  No bonus spins either.

Tis Canada, after all!

Most of the other info relating to this can be found on Chris L!'s TPIRFaQ.

Cheers,

Ryan :)