Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If you win a car on a game show...  (Read 4892 times)

cmjb13

If you win a car on a game show...
« on: September 22, 2003, 08:09:05 PM »
Are you allowed to pick the color or are you stick with what you are given?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 08:13:17 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 07:09 PM\'] Are you allowed to pick the color or are you stick with what you are given? [/quote]
 I was told this in an IM several years ago(forget who told me though): For at least some game shows, the contestant wins a voucher worth the amount of the car seen and won on the show. The contestant can then go to the dealer nearest their home that carries that make of car, and buy that car(in any color they want), or put that money towards buying another car. The car is NOT delivered to the contestant's home.

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 12:48:51 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 07:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 07:09 PM\'] Are you allowed to pick the color or are you stick with what you are given? [/quote]
I was told this in an IM several years ago (forget who told me though): For at least some game shows, the contestant wins a voucher worth the amount of the car seen and won on the show. The contestant can then go to the dealer nearest their home that carries that make of car, and buy that car(in any color they want), or put that money towards buying another car. The car is NOT delivered to the contestant's home. [/quote]
Correctamundo, Zach   ;-)

A dealer near your home provides the car. You get to AT LEAST choose the color.

With the car I won from CBS on PYL (granted it was some years ago) I was sent to a mega-dealership in LA that handled cars from many, many manufacturers. I schmoozed at length with the general manager who ultimately allowed me my pick from any of the cars he sold (Nissans, Mercedes, etc.). As he said his dealership would receive credit for an amount equal to the price of the car I had won, he would give me that credit toward anything I wanted. By the time I received the paperwork (90 days after airdate) the vehicles for the new model year were in. CBS bumped me up to a higher credit equal to the price of the same car in the next model year. I threw in a bunch of cash with the deal and drove out in style with a car I loved.

Now I can't win; I only get to shout \"a new car!\" 2 or 3 times a day.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: September 23, 2003, 12:49:38 AM by tvrandywest »

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 09:35:04 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 11:48 PM\']
Now I can't win; I only get to shout "a new car!" 2 or 3 times a day.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
 Nice to hear you're back on TPIR, but this must mean Rod is still sick.
It was certainly nice to hear him yesterday on the season premiere, and it will be nice to hear you again on the shows you've taped for this season so far.

tvrandywest

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 10:18:11 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 08:35 AM\'] Nice to hear you're back on TPIR, but this must mean Rod is still sick.
It was certainly nice to hear him yesterday on the season premiere, and it will be nice to hear you again on the shows you've taped for this season so far. [/quote]
It's awkward and perhaps a breach of confidentiality for me to comment in any detail on Rod's health. My friend of many years and one of the game show greats has indeed had a rough spell of late. Both he and the show are hoping that very soon he'll be back where he belongs. Nothing would make me happier than to get the call from Roger telling me to stay home because Rod's coming in. I've been doing the show for 3 weeks straight this month (as opposed to drunk?) and in every warm-up I solicit \"a little love\" (applause) for Rod. The audience is madly in love with him. He's a big part of the TPIR experience.

The good news is that Rod can be heard on the shows scheduled for airing this Thursday and Friday!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: September 23, 2003, 10:19:19 AM by tvrandywest »

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 10:40:18 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 09:18 AM\'] and in every warm-up I solicit "a little love" (applause) for Rod. The audience is madly in love with him. He's a big part of the TPIR experience.

The good news is that Rod can be heard on the shows scheduled for airing this Thursday and Friday!

[/quote]
 I think the audience has probably grown to like you in the way they grew to like Rod when Johnny O. passed.

tvrandywest

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2003, 10:48:19 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 09:40 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 09:18 AM\'] and in every warm-up I solicit "a little love" (applause) for Rod. The audience is madly in love with him. He's a big part of the TPIR experience.

[/quote]
I think the audience has probably grown to like you in the way they grew to like Rod when Johnny O. passed. [/quote]
 If and when.... I can only hope that becomes the case.

HSquares2003

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2003, 11:13:16 AM »
Randy, if you are still here, your show is being at least partially pre empted in the East. I really wish Bush would sthu and if he can't, at least do his sppeches in the afternoons.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2003, 11:18:48 AM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 10:13 AM\'] Randy, if you are still here, your show is being at least partially pre empted in the East. I really wish Bush would sthu and if he can't, at least do his sppeches in the afternoons. [/quote]
 Oh, give me a damn break.  Gameshows are not as important as the future of the country.  Get off your 7 year old rear and go to the mall, read a magazine or something.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2003, 12:47:29 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 10:13 AM\'] Randy, if you are still here, your show is being at least partially pre empted in the East. I really wish Bush would sthu and if he can't, at least do his sppeches in the afternoons. [/quote]
 Bush: \"And so, the key to winning the war in Ira...\"

CBS: \"We interrupt this broadcast to bring you a Breaking News Special Report\"

Barker: \"YOU WIN BOTH SHOWCASES !\"

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Skynet74

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2003, 03:31:33 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 12:48 AM\']
Now I can't win; I only get to shout \"a new car!\" 2 or 3 times a day.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]

Awwww. I weep for your misfortune Randy. ;-)

P.S. Those crank calls you've been getting at 3AM are from a pissed off Burton.  ;-)

John
(who's really grown to like Randy West.)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 03:33:03 AM by Skynet74 »

cmjb13

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2003, 06:19:15 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 10:18 AM\']It's awkward and perhaps a breach of confidentiality for me to comment in any detail on Rod's health[/quote]
I'm no lawyer, but unless you signed something, there is no breach.

Of course friendship and trust are different are more important.

What you have said is more than enough.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2003, 04:26:50 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 07:09 PM\'] Are you allowed to pick the color or are you stick with what you are given? [/quote]
 From www.cbs.com and the official Price website:

If the person won a car on the show, how will the person receive the car? Will it be shipped, or do they have to go to a dealer near their home, and get the same car that looked a lot like the car on the stage? If they won cash (like it they won $32,000 on Plinko) is that money taxed, and you have to take out taxes?
Cars are purchased through dealers in the Los Angeles area. Local contestants take delivery at those dealerships. If they're not local, the cars are courtesy shipped to a dealer closer to the contestant. All prize winnings totaling over $600 (including cash) are subject to California State and U.S. Federal taxes.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

LA the DJ

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2003, 08:21:28 PM »
I'd generally rather hear anything Bob or Rod have to say than anything Duh-bya has to say, unless it's \"I'm resigning\".

But in seriousness, I caught TPiR today for the first time this new season, and I must say, it seems Rod sounded a little fatigued or something...certainly not his old self. I hope he's all better soon, it's kinda sad hearing him unable to give his all.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Skynet74

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2003, 01:48:52 AM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 08:21 PM\']
But in seriousness, I caught TPiR today for the first time this new season, and I must say, it seems Rod sounded a little fatigued or something [/quote]

Rod is fatigued. That is why Randy has been announcing for the last 6 months. I hate to say it, but I don't think Rod is going to be returning full time again. He just doesn't have the strength anymore. \"Price\" is the most difficult game show to announce for. Tons of copy to read. (Far more than any other show!) It can take a lot out of a person. Especially a person going through Rod's challenges. Just ask Randy.

It's very clear to me that Randy is being groomed to become Rod's successor. That sucks in a way because Rod is such a great guy. In a perfect world TPIR would have a successful syndicated version of the show for Randy to announce and Rod would feel O.K. to come back to days.

At this point in time Rod would be a lot better off announcing on a show that's not so intense. If Press Your Luck was still on the air I think that he could still handle that O.K. Just the introduction at the top of the show, a few prize announcements and fee plugs at the end. However Price is a totally different beast. Not longer than 5 minutes goes by without having to read something. Plus there is lots to keep track of. It's mentally draining. Rod just doesn't have that energy anymore. Geez, Most totally healthy people don't have that energy.  ;-)  

Get well Rod. We miss you and Love you Big Guy.

John
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 01:51:39 AM by Skynet74 »