Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Slightly OT: Amazing Race at the Emmys  (Read 2535 times)

vtown7

Slightly OT: Amazing Race at the Emmys
« on: September 22, 2003, 10:06:53 AM »
Don't know if I'm allowed to post this in here, but I know that some members here consider AR in the game show vein.

I missed AR getting its emmy last night - does anyone know where I might be able to find some video clips?  Apparently George Lopez spoofed the whole genre.  My TV was acting up horribly so I turned it off - it worked fine later on but alas I missed this section.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan :)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 01:48:56 PM »
Excite dabout the win for AR, which deserved the honor (and a renewal!). As for Lopez, don't bother hunting it down because he wasn't funny at all.

Phil was onstage but the Producer (sub-Bruckheimer, bertram whatshisname) did the acceptance speech.
@lambertman

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 05:15:51 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 12:48 PM\']Phil was onstage but the Producer (sub-Bruckheimer, bertram whatshisname) did the acceptance speech.[/quote]
Bertram Van Muster.

And his wife Elise is one of the producers and comes up with many of the stunts--I believe that was her standing behind Van Muster to the right.  The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel did an interview with them where they said that a lot of what they come up with for the show comes from their own personal travels--they claim they actually ate in that Seoul restaurant that served bugs long before they even started the show and that they really try to make everything in line with each country's traditions and customs.

Although the Perfesser claims that they're renewed, nobody else seems to--but I think they just might get a renewal for sure after last night.  Congratulations to all involved.

Little Big Brother

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 09:05:30 PM »
Although the Perfesser claims that they're renewed, nobody else seems to--but I think they just might get a renewal for sure after last night. Congratulations to all involved.

There is a contestant application that has been available for at least a week or two at http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race5/

So I'm guessing that it is at least going into production since the deadline is in October and it starts filming January-ish.

Alas, I will have to wait for an AR6 before I can apply (lousy 21 rule, if only the deadline were January) :-(
« Last Edit: September 22, 2003, 09:06:03 PM by Little Big Brother »

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 06:58:33 PM »
There is a contestant application that has been available for at least a week or two at http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race5/
What's interesting is that there's nothing on the application or rules about appearances on other shows.  I assume that CBS follows the one-show-in-a-year/two-in-the-last-five-years rule that NBC uses (whether they be game or other contest shows).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 10:44:03 PM »
What's interesting is that there's nothing on the application or rules about appearances on other shows. I assume that CBS follows the one-show-in-a-year/two-in-the-last-five-years rule that NBC uses (whether they be game or other contest shows).
Seems to me that if you're casting for an ongoing reality show, it's in your best interest to have as few arbitrary rules as possible.  Cover the basic eligibility issues (they can't work for CBS or Bruckheimer, for example) but allow yourself the opportunity to choose whomever you want.  

Seems if someone was a Survivor or even a Big Brother housemate, or heck, even a former Jeopardy champ, CBS might want to consider what the extra publicity would be worth rather than just dismiss them out of hand because of some sixties-throwback concern over the illusion of fairness.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 07:58:21 AM »
The story going around was that they indeed wanted Big Brother 2's Mike \"Boogie\" and Krista to appear on Amazing Race 3. Fortunately for us (and for the longterm image of TAR), the couple was well on their way to a breakup and couldn't do the show.
@lambertman

Little Big Brother

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 05:51:39 PM »
I was over at the TV Clubhouse (BB Finale Countdown 3 hours, 10 minutes BTW), and came across this link which confirms that AR has a green light for 2004

http://www.tvguide.com/news/robins/