Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whazzup on TPIR?  (Read 11454 times)

Neumms

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2007, 12:54:26 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'161587\' date=\'Aug 22 2007, 06:51 AM\']
I took a class in college called "Math for Liberal Arts" and had to write a 15-page paper on why pyramid schemes were mathmatically impossible.

The class is no longer offered.
[/quote]

Speaking on behalf of liberal artists everywhere, that's "mathematically."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2007, 01:09:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'161615\' date=\'Aug 22 2007, 09:50 AM\']
/Silly liberal arts majors
//No, I don't want fries with that
[/quote]
Some of us are doing just fine, kid.

/liberal arts major
//there is a *little* more to college than job training
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2007, 01:17:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'161615\' date=\'Aug 22 2007, 12:50 PM\']
/Silly liberal arts majors
//No, I don't want fries with that
[/quote]

You know, instead of criticizing people who are actually making the effort to improve their life, maybe you should look at your own life and what people could criticize about IT.

(Sorry for the snark, but ignorance bugs the everloving crap out of me.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

urbanpreppie05

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2007, 03:19:25 PM »
Meaning your paper must have been really, realy good.

85%, A solid B. They did realize that the class was completely and totally useless.

Speaking on behalf of liberal artists everywhere, that's "mathematically."

See why I didn't become an English teacher? :-)

/liberal arts major
//there is a *little* more to college than job training

Thank you. The same people who made fun of the lib arts people are the same ones still working the jobs they had during college, now putting off the eventual real world by going to law school or grad school.
insert signature here

BrandonFG

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2007, 03:26:37 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'161623\' date=\'Aug 22 2007, 01:17 PM\']
You know, instead of criticizing people who are actually making the effort to improve their life, maybe you should look at your own life and what people could criticize about IT.

[/quote]
In this case, it's understood. Perhaps Joe needs to look at the rate of college grads able to find jobs before he makes such a ridiculous comment. That way he'd know that a lot of grads have trouble finding something regardless of major. I'm thankful I got in when I could.

/And Liberal Arts is not the lazy major everyone thinks it is.
//That stereotype really annoys me.

ObGameShow: "College Mad House" used the original theme to "Shop Til You Drop".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 03:27:37 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

dzinkin

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2007, 03:41:16 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'161630\' date=\'Aug 22 2007, 03:19 PM\']
Thank you. The same people who made fun of the lib arts people are the same ones still working the jobs they had during college, now putting off the eventual real world by going to law school or grad school.
[/quote]
Just a friendly reminder that at least one of your three moderators has been attending graduate school with both feet still firmly planted in the real world, thank you very much.

Face it, folks -- unless someone's proudly proclaiming that he earned a master's degree in Prehistoric Underwater Basketweaving, we shouldn't be prejudging people based on their education.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 03:41:42 PM by dzinkin »

urbanpreppie05

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2007, 04:17:09 PM »
Just a friendly reminder that at least one of your three moderators has been attending graduate school with both feet still firmly planted in the real world, thank you very much.
\

And I respect them for that :-) Especially as I plan to do the same thing in 2008.

It just irritates me when people assume that Liberal Arts/Communication Majors=no skills/worthless degree; and that's just not true.
insert signature here

JayDLewis

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »
I spent a little time today putting together some backgrounds for your computer.

I modeled them after the designs (astroids?) from on the new Price is Right set. There are 4 color choices (orange, green, blue, purple) in 2 formats (wide screen and 4:3) and the new logo is livin' large.

Inspired by the one Cory "pacdude" Anotado made. :)

http://www.qwizx.com/gameshows/backgrounds/index.html
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

clemon79

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2007, 06:00:03 PM »
Lookin' sharp! I think I would have made the blue and green ones a little more pastel, though.

Props to you for offering up both regular and widescreen flavors, too. :)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2007, 07:15:22 PM »
Hypocycloids.

dale_grass

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2007, 11:47:06 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'161659\' date=\'Aug 22 2007, 07:15 PM\']
Hypocycloids.
[/quote]
See, isn't it fun to learn something new?  Next week, Garbiel's horn and the Sierpinski carpet (next to the Flokati rug).

PYLW

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2007, 12:29:07 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'161537\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 08:57 PM\'] But that begs the question for the teachers in the audience...is the Wik allowed in any way shape or form? [/quote]

Where I work, I sometimes send my classes to the school library during the period I have them. The two librarians always say, right off the bat "NEVER use wikipedia..."

Although I'm a frequent editor of wikipedia, I would never let any of my students use it. As someone who's seen firsthand, some crap can stay on an article for MONTHS without someone noticing.

In all fairness, it's not as overblown as people make it out to be; I know some co-workers who think every article has some form of "vandalism" in it. It's not THAT bad, especially for articles that students would generally look up. 95% of "vandalism" on the site is taken off about two minutes later. I still wouldn't let my students use it, but wikipedia is trying. They've even made programs for editors to use to knock off vandalism very quickly.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:29:23 AM by PYLW »

Kevin Prather

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2007, 12:38:28 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'161687\' date=\'Aug 22 2007, 09:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'161537\' date=\'Aug 21 2007, 08:57 PM\'] But that begs the question for the teachers in the audience...is the Wik allowed in any way shape or form? [/quote]

Where I work, I sometimes send my classes to the school library during the period I have them. The two librarians always say, right off the bat "NEVER use wikipedia..."
[/quote]
The thing about Wikipedia is that it's not a good source IN AND OF ITSELF, but if it's properly notated, it can send you to good sources.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2007, 02:42:54 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'161688\' date=\'Aug 23 2007, 12:38 AM\']
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'161687\' date=\'Aug 22 2007, 09:29 PM\']

[/quote]
The thing about Wikipedia is that it's not a good source IN AND OF ITSELF, but if it's properly notated, it can send you to good sources.
[/quote]

Yes, but it's good at exploiting loopholes in a term paper guideline rulesheet.

(Yes, I used two articles from Wikipedia on a research paper I did looking into careers in video game development. I got an A- on the paper...go figure.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2007, 03:26:08 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'161691\' date=\'Aug 22 2007, 11:42 PM\']
Yes, but it's good at exploiting loopholes in a term paper guideline rulesheet.

(Yes, I used two articles from Wikipedia on a research paper I did looking into careers in video game development. I got an A- on the paper...go figure.)
[/quote]
Proving nothing more than that your instructor isn't up on their technology. No more, no less.