Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whazzup on TPIR?  (Read 11309 times)

BMaurice06

Whazzup on TPIR?
« on: August 20, 2007, 06:06:51 PM »
I am curious to know from anyone who has attended at least one on the first tapings of "The Price is Right" with Drew Carey how well he is doing as host.  Aside from the set changes, what's a firsthand POV from an audience member?  I ask this because I, like Steve Beverly, am concerned about the early audience reception post-Barker.

BrandonFG

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 06:53:06 PM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'161400\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 06:06 PM\']
I am curious to know from anyone who has attended at least one on the first tapings of "The Price is Right" with Drew Carey how well he is doing as host.  Aside from the set changes, what's a firsthand POV from an audience member?  I ask this because I, like Steve Beverly, am concerned about the early audience reception post-Barker.
[/quote]
Somewhere on the board, there's a link to a golden-road.net posting. According to first-hand reports, Drew was VERY well-received by the audience, and that he performed pretty well, stepping into Bob's shoes.

From all indications, I think you can sleep easier. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BMaurice06

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »
Just went on golden-road.com and read about the first tapings, and I also saw what the set for this season is going to look like.  After looking at that observation there I think with his good, professional work on "Power of 10" he'll be alright on Price as long as he doesn't slip up too much.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 08:13:39 PM »
That said, it will be interesting (as interesting as things involving him get, anyhow) to see if the Perfesser craps on Carey because he's not a Good And Holy man like Beverly likes all of his TV personalities to be, or if he starts sucking-up hardcore because he thinks it'll get him somewhere.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:16:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'161426\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 08:13 PM\']
That said, it will be interesting (as interesting as things involving him get, anyhow) to see if the Perfesser craps on Carey because he's not a Good And Holy man like Beverly likes all of his TV personalities to be, or if he starts sucking-up hardcore because he thinks it'll get him somewhere.
[/quote]
I don't remember how Drew ranked on Steve's candidate list, but I imagine he's giving Drew one strike for not being Todd Newton. Wrong? Yes. Biased? Extremely. Would I be surprised. Not in the slightest.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:17:26 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Casey Buck

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:24:53 PM »
Here's a fairly lengthy and detailed report from golden-road's Voltron291, who attended along with some other board members.

Apparently, they had quite a hard time getting the audience filled, but that's probably because there's very little promotion that TPiR is currently taping now, other than at TPiR's website.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:25:24 PM by Casey Buck »

gaptoothed

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'161405\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 03:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'161400\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 06:06 PM\']
[/quote]
Somewhere on the board, there's a link to a golden-road.net posting. According to first-hand reports, Drew was VERY well-received by the audience, and that he performed pretty well, stepping into Bob's shoes.

From all indications, I think you can sleep easier. :-)
[/quote]

I attended the first taping of the Drew era. He did a good job considering the rehearsals have been with staff. He seemed genuinely surprised at the audience reaction when he came through the big doors. During the first break, he said he almost started to cry! The ovation went on quite awhile; hopefully they won't cut too much out of it because it was a very lovely 'welcome to the family' type vibe that afternoon. (Gameplay information deleted by moderator. -DZ)

Having attended many Whose Line tapings, Drew can get a little blue, but nothing came up during this first show. As someone over on golden-road posted, later in the week Drew's humor may have gone places that could offend some. Luckily, I don't offend easily! One of the models came down to contestant's row to show off a necklace for an IUFB, and this young kid obviously wasn't interested in the necklace. Drew was busting a gut watching this kid! He's obviously personable enough and once he gets all the game play down, he'll relax a bit. The one thing that I think might upset loyal viewers is some of his playful 'disdain' of some of the prizes and/or showcase skits. (Gameplay information deleted by moderator. -DZ)

I was lucky enough to attend six Barker tapings over the years and you could telegraph the stories he'd tell. Drew did the Q and A and unlike Bob, signed many, many autographs. I predict this will stop since it seemed like they were ready to proceed but Drew was still signing. The pages had to stop people from heading over to Drew. It was also quite nice to see the crew laughing at Drew's jokes. The only person who did not look happy at all was Rich! During some of the down time while Drew was signing stuff, he looked quite annoyed.

The only quibble I have with the set is that since it's so retro, all of the pricing games look completely out of place. I was surprised that there was so much white surrounding the set pieces as well. But otherwise, as been noted, it's the same but different.

Clearly there were a handful of fans who went to the tapings who really, really love the show and hopefully they will accept that the show they love is moving on. I grew up with the show and was lucky enough to see it with Bob. Based on this first taping, I think the show will do just fine with Drew at the helm. If there was a major staff shake-up and Fremantle could enact the changes they wanted to make, then it would be time to worry. We'll see how the line changes once the shows start to air. I'm thinking about going up next week if you can easily get into the second taping.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:37:38 PM by dzinkin »

xavier45

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 08:34:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'161426\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 08:13 PM\']
[/quote]

He had one of those Audio Commentaries a few weeks ago and he went through the pros and cons of having Drew as host. I really can't remember what he said, but most of it was crap. And he also listed people who he thought should have been given a chance like Bob Goen, Larry Anderson, Rich Fields, and of course Todd Newton. He really wanted to hear the story about why Fields was not even given a chance.

So as you can see it was mostly saying they had better choices for the job than the person they picked.

BrandonFG

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 08:40:48 PM »
[quote name=\'gaptoothed\' post=\'161432\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 08:31 PM\']
The only person who did not look happy at all was Rich! During some of the down time while Drew was signing stuff, he looked quite annoyed.
[/quote]
This statement stood out to me. Around here, it's no secret that Rich worships the ground Bob walks on. I just hope it doesn't create hostility toward the new kid on the block. Rich is the one person who needs to make Drew feel welcome.

Matt Ottinger

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 08:54:40 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'161434\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 08:40 PM\']This statement stood out to me. Around here, it's no secret that Rich worships the ground Bob walks on. I just hope it doesn't create hostility toward the new kid on the block. Rich is the one person who needs to make Drew feel welcome.[/quote]
"Colin, who's the next player in Contestant's Row?"

[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'161430\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 08:24 PM\']Apparently, they had quite a hard time getting the audience filled, but that's probably because there's very little promotion that TPiR is currently taping now, other than at TPiR's website.[/quote]
This strikes me as a bigger issue than people are making it.  The show has not lacked for publicity, and there ought to be a huge curiosity factor right now.  In a few months, there will be much less interest in the show than there is now.  If they're currently having a problem filling the house, I can only imagine the problem will get worse when the show is just a show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 09:04:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'161436\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 05:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'161434\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 08:40 PM\']This statement stood out to me. Around here, it's no secret that Rich worships the ground Bob walks on. I just hope it doesn't create hostility toward the new kid on the block. Rich is the one person who needs to make Drew feel welcome.[/quote]
[/quote]
QF 'Friggin T. The only people Rich should be making welcome are on the unemployment line.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 09:04:26 PM »
This strikes me as a bigger issue than people are making it.  The show has not lacked for publicity, and there ought to be a huge curiosity factor right now.  In a few months, there will be much less interest in the show than there is now.  If they're currently having a problem filling the house, I can only imagine the problem will get worse when the show is just a show.
I would actually think it's the opposite. Most people who visit price are from out of state and thus need some notice in order to make travel plans. Once they get back in the groove, I think it will be easier. If not, there's always the paid audience they could use.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

DrBear

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 09:20:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'161436\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 05:54 PM\']
[/quote]
I keep hearing Colin do the "cheezy announcer" voice from Whose Line:
"Puh-LEEEZE ac-cept my con-DOOOOOOO-lences!"

All seriousness aside, what's wrong with Drew (gently) tweaking some of the things that have become ossified in 30-plus years? We love Tom Bergeron for that ("I have two jobs: refereering tic-tac-toe and showing films of people getting hit in the groin.") What's wrong with a little laugh at the expense of the Cliffhangers guy?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

aaron sica

Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 09:38:34 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'161442\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 09:20 PM\']
All seriousness aside, what's wrong with Drew (gently) tweaking some of the things that have become ossified in 30-plus years? We love Tom Bergeron for that ("I have two jobs: refereering tic-tac-toe and showing films of people getting hit in the groin.") What's wrong with a little laugh at the expense of the Cliffhangers guy?
[/quote]

I can see Drew having a little fun with him, much like Doug Davidson did...He may give him a "name", etc..

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Whazzup on TPIR?
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 09:53:56 PM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'161400\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 03:06 PM\']I ask this because I, like Steve Beverly, am concerned about the early audience reception post-Barker.[/quote]Concerned about what? That Drew will try to ape style? That the show will change too much, not enough? Steve seems to be stuck in a place where game shows have bright lights, moving parts, full theme songs, and everything else that has changed.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'161426\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 05:13 PM\']That said, it will be interesting (as interesting as things involving him get, anyhow) to see if the Perfesser craps on Carey because he's not a Good And Holy man like Beverly likes all of his TV personalities to be, or if he starts sucking-up hardcore because he thinks it'll get him somewhere.[/quote]Because, y'know, it's impossible to be foul-mouthed and of the faith. (Not the point you were making, I know, but his Good And Holy shtick wore out on me years ago)

I would be completely unsuprised to find out that if the ratings and reviews are positive, he'll turn around and claim all along that Carey was the right man for the job. Of course, I wouldn't read that from his site.

[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'161433\' date=\'Aug 20 2007, 05:34 PM\']e had one of those Audio Commentaries a few weeks ago and he went through the pros and cons of having Drew as host. I really can't remember what he said, but most of it was crap. [/quote]Since my tolerance for all things Steve is very, very low, I was told this by someone who listened, who may unveil himself if he so chooses, but it was a big long fat joke from start to finish. Every single chance he took, out came another potshot about the guy being overweight. Even if he was making a "pro" comment, it was couched in a joke.
Travis L. Eberle