Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grand Slam  (Read 10351 times)

vtown7

Grand Slam
« on: July 09, 2007, 02:40:33 PM »
Just saw a commercial for Grand Slam - wondering why the network is burying it Saturdays at 7pm?

Any thoughts?

Ryan.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Grand Slam
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 03:45:24 PM »
Any chance of getting this up on torrents? I'm going to be GSN-less come August.
@lambertman

itiparanoid13

Grand Slam
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:19:12 PM »
I thought I'd share this with you guys.  It's a tournament bracket courtesy of GSN.  There's only one GSN champion, and it's the highest money winner from Lingo.  For anyone who saw Amy Kelly's game, did she do well on the show word wise, or did they just say "She won an assload of money, why not let her in.  We need someone from this network."  I'm half interested to see how she does, but if I had to guess, I'd say not very well.  Also, I'm wondering why they have a TBA listed on there, counting they've already taped the episodes.  Anyone who went to see it, any idea who it is?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 02:21:22 PM by itiparanoid13 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Grand Slam
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:22:52 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'157598\' date=\'Jul 16 2007, 11:19 AM\']
I thought I'd share this with you guys.  It's a tournament bracket courtesy of GSN.  There's only one GSN champion, and it's the highest money winner from Lingo.  I'm half interested to see how she does, but if I had to guess, I'd say not very well.
[/quote]
Particularly because the only reason she's the high money winner is because she lucked into that huge jackpot, right?

(Edited. Originally I said Ken wasn't in the bracket. Turns out I'm just blind.)

(Legler v. Spangenberg should be a GREAT match.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 03:19:53 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

xavier45

Grand Slam
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 02:23:38 PM »
BTW, looking at zap2it they are going to be having a marathon on that Saturday promoting this show. Here is the schedule:

2-3pm: Jeopardy
3-4pm: Twenty One
4-5pm: Millionaire
5-5:30pm: Millionaire
5:30pm: Tic Tac Dough

I wonder if GSN will lease an episode of Jennings on Jeopardy?

colonial

Grand Slam
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 02:59:30 PM »
Spangenberg-Legler and Carpenter-McKee look like fun first-round matches, as does Toutant-Pawlowicz.

Why is Ken Jennings listed as facing "TBA" in round 1?  That was the first thing I noticed when I saw the brackets -- did something happen during the taping (opponent didn't show, GSN employing a gimmick for this match that it won't reveal until airing)?

Curious if GSN tried to contact one of the three $100,000 winners of Russian Roulette to fill the "GSN slot" before turning to Amy Kelly.

James

Linkbowler

Grand Slam
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
This is a total and complete guess that kinda makes sense, but also doesn't.

What if number 15 is Nancy Zerg?

Yeah, you would think they'd be hyping the hell out of that, plus she doesn't really fit into the overall seeding structure, but it makes sense in a "Ken Jennings' big surprise mystery opponent" sort of way.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Grand Slam
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 08:37:01 PM »
Maybe it's Bob Harris.  That would also fit into the "Ken Jennings' big surprise mystery opponent" at least in terms of books and maybe fit the seeding as well (not knowing the gap between 16 and 14).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:37:40 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

vtown7

Grand Slam
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 08:49:41 PM »
Although it's a bit odd, my first thought for the mystery slot was Ben Stein.  Longshot, but you never know.

Ryan.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Grand Slam
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 10:43:34 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'157601\' date=\'Jul 16 2007, 11:22 AM\']Particularly because the only reason she's the high money winner is because she lucked into that huge jackpot, right?[/quote] Treble lucky, in fact. First, to be on the show during the time that they've had that goofy jackpot. Second, to be on an episode when the jackpot was insanely high, and third, to find the one ball in 13 that wins the money.

Could be they just want to have Brad get an easy pass into the round of eight; who knows.

(Legler v. Spangenberg should be a GREAT match.)
Actually, all of them but one seem like they would be exciting. The one I can't figure out is Michelle Kitt. I remember that she was one of the big winners on Weakest Link, but that doesn't seem like the same kind of achievement as almost anyone else on the list.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 10:44:04 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Grand Slam
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 11:46:20 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'157662\' date=\'Jul 16 2007, 07:43 PM\']
Actually, all of them but one seem like they would be exciting. The one I can't figure out is Michelle Kitt. I remember that she was one of the big winners on Weakest Link, but that doesn't seem like the same kind of achievement as almost anyone else on the list.
[/quote]
Hell, if they're gonna do that, they should have called Catherine Rahm, who HAD A FREAKIN' PITSTOP... :)

(Me and Travis are gonna be 70 years old, sitting on a park bench feeding pigeons, I'm gonna turn to him, put in my teeth, and say "She HAD A FREAKIN' PITSTOP...")
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 11:47:27 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Grand Slam
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 12:21:09 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'157670\' date=\'Jul 16 2007, 08:46 PM\']Hell, if they're gonna do that, they should have called Catherine Rahm, who HAD A FREAKIN' PITSTOP... :)

(Me and Travis are gonna be 70 years old, sitting on a park bench feeding pigeons, I'm gonna turn to him, put in my teeth, and say "She HAD A FREAKIN' PITSTOP...")[/quote]To which I'll reply:

"THE BONUS! YOU GOT THE BONUS!"

/Pit Stop slays me every time
//Come to think of it, Rahm actually has a few other game show appearance credits besides her most lucrative one.
Travis L. Eberle

colonial

Grand Slam
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 08:52:20 AM »
This article appears to solve the mystery of Jennings' opponent.

http://blogs.courant.com/roger_catlin_tv_e...ennings-at.html

Mr. Catlin says Jennings will play the winner of the 2007 World Series of Pop Culture in the first round.

Actually makes sense -- explains why the slot is "TBA," and it's refreshing not to see a result spoiled -- but now I'm curious how they'll do this.

If it's a four-round game, I'm guessing each WSoPC player will face off once against Jennings, with one player receiving two rounds (or actually employing a 3-on-1 handicap match for one of the rounds).

mmb5

Grand Slam
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 11:15:49 AM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'157621\' date=\'Jul 16 2007, 02:59 PM\']
Why is Ken Jennings listed as facing "TBA" in round 1?  That was the first thing I noticed when I saw the brackets -- did something happen during the taping (opponent didn't show, GSN employing a gimmick for this match that it won't reveal until airing)?
[/quote]

The TBA has not had his game show fame unleashed on the world yet.  However, that fame will be unleashed by his/her first episode.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Grand Slam
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 08:05:40 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'157690\' date=\'Jul 17 2007, 08:52 AM\']
This article appears to solve the mystery of Jennings' opponent.

http://blogs.courant.com/roger_catlin_tv_e...ennings-at.html

Mr. Catlin says Jennings will play the winner of the 2007 World Series of Pop Culture in the first round.

Actually makes sense -- explains why the slot is "TBA," and it's refreshing not to see a result spoiled -- but now I'm curious how they'll do this.

If it's a four-round game, I'm guessing each WSoPC player will face off once against Jennings, with one player receiving two rounds (or actually employing a 3-on-1 handicap match for one of the rounds).
[/quote]
Or, it's just one member for the entire game.  Note that Amy is sans partner.
This signature is currently under construction.