Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC renews "National Bingo Night"  (Read 6877 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
ABC renews "National Bingo Night"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 11:56:56 AM »
Cool! That's great news.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 12:13:42 PM »
Well, there you go then.  Apparently we HAVE reached a place where online traffic accounts for something when it comes to renewals.  I also couldn't help but notice the little slam that the ABC guy gave Neilsen, comparing their sample-based ratings to "concrete online numbers that don’t lie."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 01:41:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'156962\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 10:56 AM\']
Cool! That's great news.
[/quote]

It is?

What might be great news is if they said, hey, the interactive component worked, now let's see if we can put good television with it.

And even though they're attracting eyeballs to ABC.com, frankly, I'd have to question what those eyeballs are worth, given what they're willing to sit through just for a crack at a large Kmart gift certificate.

GSmaniac

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 03:25:08 PM »
I think Chris was being sarcastic.

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 03:36:55 PM »
[quote name=\'GSmaniac\' post=\'156994\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 12:25 PM\']
I think Chris was being sarcastic.
[/quote]
You'd be wrong. I've said from Day One that I enjoyed NBN. I'm glad to see that it's being picked up. I didn't find the television component nearly as bad as some people did.

Is it perfect? No. Is it better than some crappy reality slopfest or horrible sitcom? Yeah.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 03:37:07 PM »
That's one thing I'd have to agree with, Neumms. I really enjoyed the game play, but snickered at each announcement of a home prize with an ABC/Disney or K-Mart tie-in. A visit for 2 to the set of Ugly Betty? And those whopping $5 gift cards? Gotta jack up the values somehow, fellas. Now admittedly some of the regular prizes - cars, trips, cash - were very good. But I'm not sure how I'd feel after getting an at-home bingo and being told I'm being put on a trade-out flight to LA and get to sit behind William Shatner's desk between takes on Boston Legal. Or be mailed an actual dinner place setting used on According to Jim. Or VHS copies of Dumbo and Mary Poppins. Etc, etc, etc...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 04:41:56 PM by The Ol' Guy »

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 06:02:06 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'156997\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 02:37 PM\']
That's one thing I'd have to agree with, Neumms. I really enjoyed the game play, but snickered at each announcement of a home prize with an ABC/Disney or K-Mart tie-in. A visit for 2 to the set of Ugly Betty? And those whopping $5 gift cards? Gotta jack up the values somehow, fellas. Now admittedly some of the regular prizes - cars, trips, cash - were very good. But I'm not sure how I'd feel after getting an at-home bingo and being told I'm being put on a trade-out flight to LA and get to sit behind William Shatner's desk between takes on Boston Legal. Or be mailed an actual dinner place setting used on According to Jim. Or VHS copies of Dumbo and Mary Poppins. Etc, etc, etc...
[/quote]

On the other hand, you'd probably take the NBA playoff trip or (if you're a country music fan) the CMA Awards tickets.  And if you had kids, the thought (if they had done it) of going to LA to meet Miley "Hannah Montana" Cyrus would get them stoked.

Yeah, some of them were schlocky (two free hours of "Pirates of the Caribbean Online"!) but there were some nice prizes in the mix.  They could be better (how about some Disney World trips?).  

And like Lemon, there was something to like in the show.  Despite the schlocky elements, overhyper contestants and Ed's overemoting, it still seemed like the producers did find the right tone between being too campy and too earnest.  Yeah, it's stupid, but it wasn't supposed to be "Jeopardy!"  I'll be interested to see if the NBC-style week-before-Christmas roadblock works here.

And Sunil will be back, so hey.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:47:42 PM by uncamark »

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 06:35:24 PM »
There ya go, Mark! Diz/ABC has the parks, the cruises (unless it'll get Royal Caribbean all po'd)....I remember those other event trips, but as you said, if you're not into either the music or sports... How about some choices? See the Kentucky Derby or a weekend at the Diz park of your choice? A list of two or three prize options sounds like you're giving away the store, but the net's only paying for one. Just for what it's worth...
And by the way, hopefully Yessinia will be back, too....  ;-)

Oh..and as of this posting, just call me Daffy Pat. I've made it to The 700 Club.....
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 06:38:05 PM by The Ol' Guy »

vtown7

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 10:30:09 PM »
As least you guys GET to play along...

Ryan, a canuck.

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 01:20:37 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'156997\' date=\'Jul 9 2007, 02:37 PM\']
That's one thing I'd have to agree with, Neumms. I really enjoyed the game play, but snickered at each announcement of a home prize with an ABC/Disney or K-Mart tie-in.
[/quote]

That you and Chris liked the game play stuns me. NBN is like watching a total stranger scratch off a lottery ticket, except louder and pokier. Deal or No Deal isn't Jeopardy either, but at least a player makes a decision once in a while. And sure, I like Plinko as much as the next guy, but that takes about two minutes, including regularly amusing banter between host and contestant.

And that's to say nothing of the commissioner. He's not from here! He looks and sounds funny! Ha ha ha ha!

To each his own, of course, but cripes, I'd rather hope for partial nudity on "Big Brother" than watch another episode of Bingo Night.

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'157107\' date=\'Jul 10 2007, 10:20 AM\']
That you and Chris liked the game play stuns me.
[/quote]
I didn't say I liked the game play. I said I enjoyed watching the show. It's only a mediocre game at the very best. I freely admit that.

But dig: it doesn't pretend to be anything else. NBN to me isn't a game show, it's a lottery show. And as such my expectations for engaging game play are WAY lower.
except louder and pokier.
Exactly! It's flashy eye candy.
And that's to say nothing of the commissioner. He's not from here! He looks and sounds funny! Ha ha ha ha!
See, the second they let Commissioner Sunil have some semblance of a personality, I started to like him, stereotype be damned. If he just stood there and Noooo Bingoed all the time, yeah, he'd bug me. Really, the turning point for me was the first time they let him pitch to a break. I thought "okay, that's clever."
To each his own, of course, but cripes, I'd rather hope for partial nudity on "Big Brother" than watch another episode of Bingo Night.
I've seen two shows worth of the current season of BB. With a few of those contestants, believe me, I'm hoping for a lot more than "partial." :)

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'157127\' date=\'Jul 10 2007, 03:00 PM\']
I've seen two shows worth of the current season of BB. With a few of those contestants, believe me, I'm hoping for a lot more than "partial." :)
[/quote]

Midnight-3 a.m. ET/PT, Showtime Too.  If I could only stay awake.  :)

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 02:58:54 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'157249\' date=\'Jul 11 2007, 11:22 AM\']
Midnight-3 a.m. ET/PT, Showtime Too.  If I could only stay awake.  :)
[/quote]
Yep, I don't get teh Showtime. But I bet my Friendly Local Torrent Store could help me there.

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 03:41:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'157107\' date=\'Jul 10 2007, 01:20 PM\']

That you and Chris liked the game play stuns me. NBN is like watching a total stranger scratch off a lottery ticket, except louder and pokier. Deal or No Deal isn't Jeopardy either, but at least a player makes a decision once in a while. And sure, I like Plinko as much as the next guy, but that takes about two minutes, including regularly amusing banter between host and contestant.

[/quote]

To echo the sentiments of Mr. Lemon, the show is flashy eye candy, and is fun to watch -- especially for the young'uns.

There are kids ranging from 3 to 10 years old who are mesmerized at the giant bingo "gumball machine" who don't really get nor care about the gameplay.  When some of us forum members were that age (including myself), we were all mesmerized by a giant pinball machine, the gameplay (although much better than NBN) took a back seat -- hell, I couldn't even have told you how the main game was played until I saw the show years later.  

What I'm saying is as far as mind-challenging play-along games, decent contestants and a mature, entertaining host go, Bingo aint got it.  But one thing that the show has going for it is that it is keeping the spirit of game shows alive for the future generations -- who hopefully some will grow up to create and produce better shows, and sometimes it's the flashy-but-dumb shows that get the kids hooked on the genre...It did for me!!