Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Combs FF  (Read 5269 times)

JMFabiano

Combs FF
« on: September 19, 2003, 10:42:32 AM »
Yesterday I was watching Combs FF on GSN and saw something I saw before...a different version of the opening where instead of the family name panel opening up, you see the teams already posing, but in a kind of yellowed B/W photo effect that goes color as they \"come to life.\"  Any idea as to why they were doing this?

Also, I read that GSN recently showed the TPIR/Y&R week.  Was this the one with the weird railing-like podiums?  I wondered about those as well.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

David Lawrence

Combs FF
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 11:16:18 AM »
Yes, that was the week with the railing-like podiums.
Episodes with the different coloring during the family pose have been airing for a few months. I don't know how long it lasts.

I have a seperate Combs Feud comment/question:
Until GSN started airing them, I'd never seen the daytime Combs run. (In Houston, the CBS affiliate wasn't airing it.) So I only ever saw the syndie version. I recall that for a brief time, contestants had to hold up little signs with an \"X\" on them if they got a strike. Did this also occur on the CBS version? How long (on either version) did this last?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Combs FF
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 11:49:14 AM »
[quote name=\'David Lawrence\' date=\'Sep 19 2003, 08:16 AM\'] I have a seperate Combs Feud comment/question:
Until GSN started airing them, I'd never seen the daytime Combs run. (In Houston, the CBS affiliate wasn't airing it.) So I only ever saw the syndie version. I recall that for a brief time, contestants had to hold up little signs with an "X" on them if they got a strike. Did this also occur on the CBS version? How long (on either version) did this last? [/quote]
 The only thing I can think of is that maybe for a taping or two their Chyron that superimposed the strikes was broken, so they used these signs you speak of as a reminder to the folks at home. 'Cuz I NEVER remembered seeing THAT done on the Combs show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

Combs FF
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 12:12:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 19 2003, 10:49 AM\'] [quote name=\'David Lawrence\' date=\'Sep 19 2003, 08:16 AM\'] I have a seperate Combs Feud comment/question:
Until GSN started airing them, I'd never seen the daytime Combs run. (In Houston, the CBS affiliate wasn't airing it.) So I only ever saw the syndie version. I recall that for a brief time, contestants had to hold up little signs with an "X" on them if they got a strike. Did this also occur on the CBS version? How long (on either version) did this last? [/quote]
The only thing I can think of is that maybe for a taping or two their Chyron that superimposed the strikes was broken, so they used these signs you speak of as a reminder to the folks at home. 'Cuz I NEVER remembered seeing THAT done on the Combs show. [/quote]
 I can't remember if it was the chyron or the lights above the family name that tells Ray what the strike count is that broke, but yeah, the family members got little paddles with strikes on.

BrandonFG

Combs FF
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 12:52:18 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Sep 19 2003, 09:42 AM\'] Yesterday I was watching Combs FF on GSN and saw something I saw before...a different version of the opening where instead of the family name panel opening up, you see the teams already posing, but in a kind of yellowed B/W photo effect that goes color as they "come to life."  Any idea as to why they were doing this?
 [/quote]
 I think it was sort-of like a joke on those novelty photos you see in the mall, etc. The ones where you dress up in 1920s clothes and what not. At least that was the impression I always got. I know this was done from c. 1991-92 season to the end of the Combs run, and at one point they also superimposed the name of the family in that sampler needlepoint font, right around the time they became \"The NEW Family Feud.\"
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Combs FF
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 03:53:42 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Sep 19 2003, 09:12 AM\'] I can't remember if it was the chyron or the lights above the family name that tells Ray what the strike count is that broke, but yeah, the family members got little paddles with strikes on. [/quote]
 That woulda been my second guess, but I figured that would be easily replaced with a dry-erase or chalkboard or cue-card or something if it were just for Ray to use.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

LA the DJ

Combs FF
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 05:02:42 AM »
Still no responses I see as to why the TPiR/Y&R week had thsoe weird podiums.
I was also curious as to why Bob didn't play Fast Money (or at least if he did, I missed it)?

As for the X's, I assume it's akin to what Davidson Squares would do when they (frequently at one point) would have problems with the board and had to hold up those X/O signs.

Though, it seems MGP was a lot quicker to solve such problems than Orion was.

As for those photos, maybe they just tried something different and rejected it. After all, someday there may be a post on this very same board asking why Karn Feud only used the actual Feud theme for about half a season.

I'm full of speculation tonight...Maybe it's the cold medicine speaking.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Michael Brandenburg

Combs FF
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 11:41:30 AM »
As for the X's, I assume it's akin to what Davidson Squares would do when they (frequently at one point) would have problems with the board and had to hold up those X/O signs.

I do recall episodes during the Davison HS run that were shot on location on a Florida beach.  They couldn't bring in the big electronic tick-tack-toe board from the studio, so they built a non-electronic game board with giant card holders in the front and had the celebrities insert appropriate cards into the holders after the play of each question.

As I recall, the cards for the \"X\" player had two crossed banannas on them, and the cards for the \"O\" player had oranges on them.

But the wildest time on HS was when the X/O lights malfunctioned during a program on the hour-long Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour on NBC in 1983.  They finished out that show with the celebrities making the \"X\" and \"O\" symbols by holding their arms aloft in the appropriate positions!

Michael Brandenburg
   (Presumably, though, there was someone offstage with a tick-tac-toe grid drawn on a chalkboard to lend a little sanity to the contestants' play that day!)

inturnaround

Combs FF
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2003, 12:15:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Sep 20 2003, 10:41 AM\']
   As I recall, the cards for the "X" player had two crossed banannas on them, and the cards for the "O" player had oranges on them.
 [/quote]
 I thought the Hollywood, FL Squares had crossed waterskis. I could just have a misprint on my memory, though. It has happened before. :)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

BrandonFG

Combs FF
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2003, 12:39:55 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Sep 20 2003, 11:15 AM\'] [quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Sep 20 2003, 10:41 AM\']
   As I recall, the cards for the "X" player had two crossed banannas on them, and the cards for the "O" player had oranges on them.
 [/quote]
I thought the Hollywood, FL Squares had crossed waterskis. I could just have a misprint on my memory, though. It has happened before. :) [/quote]
 Now, see, I thought they were palm trees! :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SplitSecond

Combs FF
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2003, 01:02:35 PM »

Just a question implying a hypothesis on my part...  When did this happen in relation to the displays being added to the podiums for the Bullseye family bank totals?

Brandon Brooks

Combs FF
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2003, 01:18:00 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Sep 20 2003, 12:02 PM\']

Just a question implying a hypothesis on my part...  When did this happen in relation to the displays being added to the podiums for the Bullseye family bank totals? [/quote]
 If IIRC, a long way off.

Brandon Brooks

PeterMarshallFan

Combs FF
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2003, 03:10:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Sep 20 2003, 11:41 AM\'] But the wildest time on HS was when the X/O lights malfunctioned during a program on the hour-long Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour on NBC in 1983.  They finished out that show with the celebrities making the "X" and "O" symbols by holding their arms aloft in the appropriate positions!

[/quote]
 I wish that ep was on the circuit. One of the funniest moments from the whole series. It began when an X began flickering on a square it didn't belong in, followed by a quip from Jon: \"We don't allow flashers on this show!\" They went to commercial, and when they came back, the board was completely broken.

zachhoran

Combs FF
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2003, 07:21:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'Sep 20 2003, 10:41 AM\']

I do recall episodes during the Davison HS run that were shot on location on a Florida beach.  They couldn't bring in the big electronic tick-tack-toe board from the studio, so they built a non-electronic game board with giant card holders in the front and had the celebrities insert appropriate cards into the holders after the play of each question.

\ [/quote]
 It was crossed water skis for the X's. The last game played on the Friday before their first stint in Hollywood, Fla. had the stars standing up at center stage, and holding up  plastic X/O tiles to indicate the progress of that game(Davidson joked that they had to start packing the stage to get ready for their road show, or something to that effect)

LA the DJ

Combs FF
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2003, 03:13:19 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 20 2003, 06:21 PM\']
It was crossed water skis for the X's. The last game played on the Friday before their first stint in Hollywood, Fla. had the stars standing up at center stage, and holding up  plastic X/O tiles to indicate the progress of that game(Davidson joked that they had to start packing the stage to get ready for their road show, or something to that effect) [/quote]
 Yes, this is one of the ocurrences I'm referring to, though I seem to remember it happening on more than one occasion, once in the middle of the show, due to \"board problems\".
....Or is it the cold medicine again?
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.