Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Clark's mic on Pyramid  (Read 3002 times)

cmjb13

Dick Clark's mic on Pyramid
« on: September 18, 2003, 06:02:49 PM »
Any reason why he had to use a clip on mic that had a cable that stretched a long ways as opposed to one that didn't?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Pyramid80

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 06:33:04 PM »
I have always wondered the same thing myself.  They did make cordless mic's back then, in the 80's anyway.  Maybe he didn't want to have the battery pack thing strapped to his belt or something.

SteveRep

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 06:56:58 PM »
Probably the same personal preference that has Bob Barker still using a corded mic on TPIR.

If any show screams for a wireless handheld, isn't it TPIR?

jrjgames

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 07:56:12 AM »
Im assuming the same reason that Bob said, since Bob walks all over studio 33, a wireless mic would cut out.

Plus I think Dick liked to swing and play with the cord! :)

John

Argo

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 09:18:29 PM »
just wondering, where did the wire go for those? i saw a few pictures of a few shows, and Jack Narz had one, and the cord would come out of his pant leg, or looked like it did. Also, on one of the publicity pics for the 80s pyramid, they had a pic of 2 celebrities and Dick in the middle, with an ecm-51, holding it rather oddly.

Dat Weird.

Btw, it seemed that all game shows other than MG/GT shows had the use of ECM-51. Was this just a coinsidence or was there a reason? or did it just happen to be that i havent seen a non MG/GT show that has used those.

Thanks

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 10:23:15 PM »
I've watched the latter episodes of Wink's TTD, he had the mic too. I saw him walk into the stage, and he'd swing the mic around too...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 10:36:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' date=\'Sep 24 2003, 06:18 PM\'] they had a pic of 2 celebrities and Dick in the middle [/quote]
 Man, you guys make it too easy sometimes. :)

just wondering, where did the wire go for those? i saw a few pictures of a few shows, and Jack Narz had one, and the cord would come out of his pant leg, or looked like it did.

This is a common way of wiring someone up with lavolier mic, particularly one with an XLR (or Cannon) connector. The connector is where the battery for the mic lives (assuming you're not using phantam power at the audio board, but now I'm trying your patience), so it's kinda bulky. (Picture a tube about the size of a cigar, and about as heavy as an equivalently-sized MagLite with the battery in.) Since the lav wire is very thin. you don't want that thing dragging around freely, as it will cause stress on the lav wire and will eventually break. So, to keep the mic wire out of the shot, what the talent will do is run the wire up their pant leg (usually stuffing the connector in their sock), up under their shirt, and then clip it on at the appropriate location.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 01:00:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 24 2003, 09:36 PM\'] This is a common way of wiring someone up with lavolier mic, particularly one with an XLR (or Cannon) connector. The connector is where the battery for the mic lives (assuming you're not using phantam power at the audio board, but now I'm trying your patience), so it's kinda bulky. (Picture a tube about the size of a cigar, and about as heavy as an equivalently-sized MagLite with the battery in.) Since the lav wire is very thin. you don't want that thing dragging around freely, as it will cause stress on the lav wire and will eventually break. So, to keep the mic wire out of the shot, what the talent will do is run the wire up their pant leg (usually stuffing the connector in their sock), up under their shirt, and then clip it on at the appropriate location. [/quote]
 I only wish our college TV station were that professional...

The connector you speak of runs right into the camera for our mics, and boy are those wires thin. For a reason I've yet to figure out, they seem to just accept that they will break and have to be replaced every fifteen minutes, rather than slapping the talent around until they are more careful.

Oh, and given the fact that the connector goes into the camera, it's fairly impossible, given the length of the cord, to hide it anywhere, so you just see the black cord running down everyone's clothes (sometimes they will run it down their shirt , so it's fairly invisible if they're sitting, but then if they have to stand up...boy does that look peculiar...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 04:45:59 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 10:00 AM\'] The connector you speak of runs right into the camera for our mics, and boy are those wires thin. For a reason I've yet to figure out, they seem to just accept that they will break and have to be replaced every fifteen minutes, rather than slapping the talent around until they are more careful. [/quote]
 Maybe I just had good professors in college, then, because they taught us respect for the equipment above everything else...a real TV station has the budget to do crap like that, a college one definitely does not. The first TV station I worked at was impressed that I knew how to properly wrap a mic cable. :)

Maybe you can impart the financial benefit to buying a few feet of mic cable in lieu of re-soldering those lav wires every other day :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe