Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestants who did poorly in one show and well in another  (Read 15187 times)

chrispw1

Contestants who did poorly in one show and well in another
« on: June 04, 2007, 11:46:45 PM »
I was watching the $25,000 Pyramid clip of the winners circle on youtube with the contestant and Tom Poston getting $0 and one of the posters commented that she also went on Super Password and won the $5000 in alphabetics. I was wondering, are there other examples of a contestant who did poorly in one game show but did well in another?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
Dan Avila, who's been on a pile of game shows, comes to mind.  He didn't do too well on Break the Bank, or Greed (if you take into account he didn't win anything), but he did pretty well on WWTBAM.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:12:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'154307\' date=\'Jun 5 2007, 05:07 PM\']
Dan Avila, who's been on a pile of game shows, comes to mind.  He didn't do too well on Break the Bank, or Greed (if you take into account he didn't win anything), but he did pretty well on WWTBAM.
[/quote]

How did he do on Joker's Wild?
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 06:14:55 PM »
How did he do on Joker's Wild?

I'm pretty sure he was on the CBS version of the show (I believe in 1974), and we all know GSN dropped those episodes before they got to that part of the run, so unfortunately that looks like it remains a mystery for now.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 06:25:33 PM »
Randy West...I think his first appearance was on "Face the Music", where he didn't do so well.

Became the last champion on "Hit Man"...then a few months later, won a nice haul on PYL, and some other prizes on "All-Star Blitz".
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Allstar87

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 06:35:35 PM »
I can think of quite a few examples:

Howard Wilson won $25,000 on Whew, but lost on Jeopardy five years later.

Michael Lagmay lost in the first round of Face the Music, but took home the $100K on Name That Tune four years later.

Paris Themmen won it all on Trivial Pursuit, but was the first to be eliminated on Win Ben Stein's Money four years later.

Sharlene Roth won $25,000 on Monopoly, but lost her game on Shopping Spree six years later. (Might not be fair to say she did poorly though, since she wasn't the one doing the shopping on that episode...)

bandit_bobby

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 06:37:16 PM »
Barry Lander, who won only $1,000 on WWTBAM in 2005, but rebounded this year to set the current all-time record on 1 vs. 100 with $343,000.

Also, Gene Synder, the big, crazy PYL champ, lost on Card Sharks with Bill Rafferty.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 07:03:07 PM »
Vanna White didn't do so good on TPIR, but struck it rich on WOF.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 07:12:18 PM »
How about Alan Lusher, who was good on Double Dare and lousy on Jeopardy?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 07:21:03 PM »
I just remembered another one. There was a guy by the name of Steve Doshay, who lost on both TJW and Hollywood Connection, but won a Mazda RX-7 and some other goodies on Wheel.

Chuck Donegan mentioned he won during one of the hostess tryout weeks in fall-1982.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gameboy2000

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 07:56:33 PM »
Here is one: David Hargett. He lost on Tic Tac Dough, but played Most Expensive on the Kennedy version of Price and won.
gameboy2000.weebly.com

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 09:13:48 PM »
Mark Gluckman bombed out on $ale of the Century in 1983, but was a 13-game winner in 1978 on The Joker's Wild.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 10:32:07 PM »
Mark DeCarlo won the lot on $ale of the Century but lasted just one entire segment on Tic Tac Dough in 1990.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:32:35 PM by MikeK »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 10:59:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'154307\' date=\'Jun 5 2007, 03:07 PM\']Dan Avila, who's been on a pile of game shows, comes to mind.  He didn't do too well on Break the Bank, or Greed (if you take into account he didn't win anything), but he did pretty well on WWTBAM.[/quote]Not only didn't he win anything on Greed, but without a great deal of prodding on Curtis's part, they would have been trying to sell off a Jaguar each, instead of counting = piles of money they eventually won.

For those who remember that particular game, how many correct answers did Dan come up with on his own? And for that matter, how many chances did the captain have to do so? I submit that Millionaire is a much better test of a person's trivia quotient. Much better.

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154317\' date=\'Jun 5 2007, 04:03 PM\']Vanna White didn't do so good on TPIR, but struck it rich on WOF.[/quote]Didn't she get slaughtered in that April Fools Day episode, though?

/If Jimmy wants to get in a race with Chuck Donegan for longest string of unfunny game show jokes, that's his own deal, but I can play with the worst of 'em.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 01:04:53 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'154337\' date=\'Jun 5 2007, 10:59 PM\']

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'154317\' date=\'Jun 5 2007, 04:03 PM\']Vanna White didn't do so good on TPIR, but struck it rich on WOF.[/quote]Didn't she get slaughtered in that April Fools Day episode, though?
[/quote]

I didn't see that particular show, but I dare say she has made more money on Wheel over the years than what she may have lost on the April Fools Day episode.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.