Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two TPIR questions  (Read 5787 times)

Skynet74

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2003, 11:43:24 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 18 2003, 10:36 AM\'] I believe Burton gets the full program mix in one ear and the booth in the other, and is still wearing the IFBs even though we're never on camera. Paul Boland hears the full program mix on Channel 2 at 10AM  (ouch, did I really say that?!

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]

Oooh, Good One Randy. I'm sure he's a nice guy as well, but similar to my philosophy in life, you must always go for the joke!  :-)

John

tvrandywest

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2003, 12:54:00 PM »
(Re: Burton) Oddly, I remember seeing a screenshot from the first week that he announced which must have been one of the few (if only) times a guest announcer was seen on camera, and there he was, headphones and all. When did he switch to IFB's?
Well, we're never in the same room at the same time, so I don't know. But Diedre (a duchess of decibels at TPIR) asked me if I wanted the IFBs \"like Burton uses\".  Someone who sees him at one of the tapings can ask him all about it and post his response to this fascinating discourse   ;-)

And what is it with you former DJ's being half-deef anyhow? ;)
What? Can you type louder please? Volume is like heroin, you need more every day!      :-|

V-6's, or the newer V-600's?
V-6, me thinks. I'll check. Yes, they rock!!

Gotta run - we play Master Key today   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com

Jay Temple

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2003, 01:14:51 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 18 2003, 09:36 AM\'][quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Sep 18 2003, 05:08 AM\'] For a number of the years in the early 1980s on TPIR you could actually hear some of the headset announcements, although very faintly, over the air.  It seemed to happen a lot on \"Pyramid\" as well, when the show started you could hear \"music\" and then the theme would play. Just another weird observation on a board full of 'em. [/quote]
The \"bleed\" on Pyramid was extreme. I heard it also, but I think I remember it as being on the New York shows.[/quote]
I have on tape a pair of N.Y. episodes of Pyramid where you can hear background sounds.  One is some sort of conversation which I can't make out but which could be from the control room.  The other is a siren!

As an aside, it is really cool to have someone who works on a show visiting the board and telling us what goes on.  Thank you so much!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

uncamark

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2003, 03:27:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Sep 18 2003, 12:14 PM\']I have on tape a pair of N.Y. episodes of Pyramid where you can hear background sounds.  One is some sort of conversation which I can't make out but which could be from the control room.  The other is a siren![/quote]
IIRC, the Elysse Theatre was across the street from a fire station and when the firemen got the call, you could always hear the sirens in the theater (and on the air).  Dick Cavett did his show from the Elysse and made jokes about the fire truck sirens wailing during his show--once they moved a camera across the street (in the days before hand-helds were prevalent) to allow Cavett to chat with the firemen and make some mock complaining about them running the siren while he was doing his show.

I know the Elysse is long gone, but if a fire station was anywhere near the Ed Sullivan Theatre, you know Dave would be playing pranks on them all the time short of false alarms.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Two TPIR questions
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2003, 04:58:52 PM »
You could hear Marc Breslow quite distinctly on Johnny's earphone when Lucky Seven was being played, during that pregnant pause between the emcee's cue and the appearance of the car.

Randy - how much do you rely on cues from the booth vs. your own timing instincts? Could you announce the show just as effectively without the booth? I'm surprised they don't have you on an interrupt where you would hear the booth only when the appropriate key is pressed. The production people might argue that it's too inconvenient but they're not the ones having to read announce copy and listen to camera cues at the same time.

Paul Boland hears the full program mix on Channel 2 at 10AM
In stereo where available.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 05:04:43 PM by chris319 »

Casey

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2003, 06:23:31 PM »
I have to say, Randy, that this is fascinating stuff, at least for me.  I'd be afraid my brain would explode trying to deal with everything going on at the same time and still sound like I knew what I was doing.  

This kind of discussion is why I come to this board.  It's great to be able to interact with someone who is directly involved in our favorite pasttime.

tvrandywest

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2003, 10:58:50 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Sep 18 2003, 03:58 PM\']Randy - how much do you rely on cues from the booth vs. your own timing instincts? Could you announce the show just as effectively without the booth? I'm surprised they don't have you on an interrupt where you would hear the booth only when the appropriate key is pressed. The production people might argue that it's too inconvenient but they're not the ones having to read announce copy and listen to camera cues at the same time.
[/quote]
Chris, I'd be NOTHING without the genius of the director! The director is the conductor, the maestro, the master of all... he told me so himself!!   ;-)  

Truly, I rely on the cues and find them reassuring. With an audible cue I KNOW it's my turn, and it keeps me from having to keep one eye focused intently on the monitor while reading with the other eye to see exactly when an item/prize first enters the frame. With cues I can relax and simply dart my eyes back and forth more \"leisurely\" instead of constantly staring to check that every item is clearly visible before I announce it. But I think it's vital that I watch the reveals during the showcase reads as a second pair of eyes to be sure we're in snyc. \"Tipping the reveals\" would kill a lot of the excitement and drama of the show.

Happily I'm left to take my own cues for the \"Who's our next player\" interplay/dialogue with Bob; it keeps the conversation natural. But I get cued for all other reads so we can have perfect sync with the reveal of items/prizes. Still, I occasionally jump the cue on the reveal of one-bid items (and the car in \"Lucky 7\" and/or the money reveals for \"Plinko\", \"Grand Game\", \"Punchboard\", etc), because sometimes Bob has already thrown it to me (\"Randy, what is the next item\") and I want to avoid the \"dead air\" / delayed response that I think can be awkward. I fill with a stretch until I see the item or get the cue. I would guess that's most obvious on the \"train\" and \"tugboat\" one-bid reveals.

The only show I EVER worked with my own PL was \"Hollywood Showdown\". Associate Director Lisa Todd would cue me... it was just she and I in that cozy little set-up. Damned if I know WHY it was that way (I was on Charlie O's mic at the WOF studio at Sony for that show; perhaps Charlie gets the luxury of working that way. I never asked him). Too bad that show had so little copy. It would be sweet for a copy-intensive show like TPIR! But it's a rare luxury that makes more work for the booth. Clearly the expectation on any show is that the announcer can find his cues in the cacophony; I'd never expect to see it again. Hell, if you rent your services as a professional, union, experienced truck driver it's expected that you can handle the biggest 18-wheeler, double, cab-over-Pete with a reefer on. (I have no idea what that means, but it's on that 1970s hit record \"Convoy\")!   ;-)

At TPIR the gig is clearly about me fitting into the well oiled mechanism that has been cranking so successfully with comfortable consistency for the many staffers who have worked 25+ years on the show. Besides, I'd be terribly disappointed to think that the bar had been lowered from the expectations placed on Johnny and Rod.

To those enjoying the thread, it's MY pleasure. I only wish I had this kind of internet capability and access when I was thirsting for the knowledge. I had to evade the security staff at 30 Rock until Johnny appreciated and nurtured my interest in his career.

But if you're REALLY grooving on this, gifts are accepted for my birthday on the 29th   ;-))

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 11:04:59 PM by tvrandywest »

trainman

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2003, 12:10:08 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Sep 18 2003, 01:58 PM\'] In stereo where available. [/quote]
 It's more than stereo, it's CBS StereoSound.
trainman is a man of trains

joshg

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2003, 12:29:57 AM »
And what is it with you former DJ's being half-deef anyhow? ;) 

What? Can you type louder please? Volume is like heroin, you need more every day! :-|

Randy's not going deaf, he just uses selective hearing...

;-)

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...