Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Two TPIR questions  (Read 5621 times)

SteveRep

Two TPIR questions
« on: September 17, 2003, 05:37:56 PM »
Got two things to bring up involving TPIR.

1) In the pricing games, does Bob get any sort of silent communication, hand signal, clue, etc., that the pending reveal of a price is going to result in a win for the contestant? He seems to get in that \"i'm going to push the button now .... 'Wouldn't it be great if you won that _____?' ..... here we go, let's see if you've won\" stop-and-start tease mode more often before a win than a loss.

2) Any word as to which models are getting the early calls? I think Brandi and Shane deserve the first go-round.

cmjb13

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2003, 05:59:16 PM »
Got two things to bring up involving TPIR.

1) In the pricing games, does Bob get any sort of silent communication, hand signal, clue, etc., that the pending reveal of a price is going to result in a win for the contestant? He seems to get in that \"i'm going to push the button now .... 'Wouldn't it be great if you won that _____?' ..... here we go, let's see if you've won\" stop-and-start tease mode more often before a win than a loss.

I don't think so. He doesn't get any hand signals or silent communication. He might very well know the answers, but I don't think he does. He likes to play along.

2) Any word as to which models are getting the early calls? I think Brandi and Shane deserve the first go-round.

I don't think it's which ones they like the best as much as who's available when they request them. Don't expect any announcement on permanent models.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvrandywest

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 08:32:27 PM »
Bob definitely does NOT get any clues about wins and losses. He has expressed during commercials that he thought a contestant had won or lost, and was surprised with the outcome of the game, which indicates he, like us, is playing along.

On the other hand, just about the entire crew (announcer included  ;-)   has access to the info as it is being screamed over the PL headsets. The director is told instantly after the contestant has made their decision, and the info is then broadcast loud and clear for all the folks who need to know... audio sfx, music, cameras, among them.

As of this moment Claudia remains the only regular \"Barker's Beauty\". Brandi is in rotation with folks like Shane and Rachel. There's even a Penelope, a Lanisha and a brand new Gabrielle, with more on the way; some quite lovely!      ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Two TPIR questions
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 09:06:08 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 05:32 PM\'] On the other hand, just about the entire crew (announcer included  ;-)   has access to the info as it is being screamed over the PL headsets. [/quote]
 Randy, do you keep your PL headset on while you're making announcements or reading copy, or do you have some sort of mute switch, or something? I've had pieces in my ear when I was announcing sports, but they were never chattering at me when I was actually speaking, they were for me to hear the air feed and for communications during breaks. I would think it would be terribly distracting to hear director chatter while you were reading off a Showcase...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SteveRep

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 10:56:30 PM »
Bob definitely does NOT get any clues about wins and losses. He has expressed during commercials that he thought a contestant had won or lost, and was surprised with the outcome of the game, which indicates he, like us, is playing along.

Thanks Randy. He's just so good at what he does that there are times I'd swear he knew beforehand, especially in a game like Temptation.

On the other hand, just about the entire crew (announcer included  ;-)   has access to the info as it is being screamed over the PL headsets. The director is told instantly after the contestant has made their decision, and the info is then broadcast loud and clear for all the folks who need to know... audio sfx, music, cameras, among them.

Very interesting info. I can see why all those folk would need to know.

As of this moment Claudia remains the only regular \"Barker's Beauty\". Brandi is in rotation with folks like Shane and Rachel. There's even a Penelope, a Lanisha and a brand new Gabrielle, with more on the way; some quite lovely!      ;-)

You write that in almost announcer speak.

Bob: \"Randy, tell him what he could win ....\"

Randy: \"It's a brand new Gabrielle!\"
(and a case of Turtle Wax)

Robert Hutchinson

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2003, 12:49:09 AM »
I can't remember where I read it, but isn't it true that he's informed about especially close Showcase bids, so he'll know to put some drama into reading out the ARP?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

tvrandywest

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2003, 02:13:28 AM »
I can't remember where I read it, but isn't it true that he's informed about especially close Showcase bids, so he'll know to put some drama into reading out the ARP?

Ah, you have found the exception to the rule. The announcer keeps the audience's attention and enthusiasm on his own during the final commercial break, just before the showcase actual prices are revealed. During that break Bob meets with Roger and Phil to decide in which order to reveal the prices for maximum drama. \"In the course of that discussion the actual identity of the winners and/or losers may be discerned\"   ;-)  

The director is informed as to which contestant Bob will talk with first, and whether or not it's a double showcase win or double overbid. Again he passes that info along on PL for all who need to know... cameras, sfx, stage hands (which doors), lighting, etc.. A lot depends on that information, including the producers' and PAs' prep of the winner's \"posse\" so they can join him on stage. No, the friends are NOT told, but the staff must have them ready.

I listen to know if it's a double overbid. Then I know whether or not Bob will be entering \"the pit\" and shaking hands with the audience. In which case I remember NOT to shake hands with him later!   ;-p

[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 08:06 PM\']Randy, do you keep your PL headset on while you're making announcements or reading copy, or do you have some sort of mute switch, or something? I've had pieces in my ear when I was announcing sports, but they were never chattering at me when I was actually speaking, they were for me to hear the air feed and for communications during breaks. I would think it would be terribly distracting to hear director chatter while you were reading off a Showcase...[/quote]

Oh Chris, you have identified the hardest part of the job! It is wildly distracting until you develop the knack. But the announcer MUST listen because some of the chatter is directed at him... cues to start reading at the top of each prize description, and after each of those reaction shots:

(\"Announce\") \"A lovely dinette set!\"  [reaction]
\"Standby announce... and... announce\") \"From Broyhill it's....\"
(\"go ahead\") \"Or would you rather have.....\"
(\"Announce\") \"A new car!\"  [reaction]
(\"Wait for it.... and... announce\") \"It's Ford F150....\"

And the announcer must listen, especially during the showcases, for the \"faster\" and \"slower\" cues shouted at him (nobody in a control room has ever whispered during a show!) in order to keep the show timed. It's especially critical in those last two long spiels of the hour. There's a lot of copy there that lasts several minutes. It's the last big chance to stretch or to make up for a long show The showcases have to end with enough time (but not too much time) for the rather brief reveal, goodbye and credits. As such it's not unusual to be prodded along or told to stretch during those reads

And the announcer has to listen in order to be corrected during those crazy moments... like when the grocery items are being shot in a different order than the script (watching the monitor is critical) or like when the announcer starts reading the wrong page, or other lapses of sanity. Otherwise you'd be merrily reading the wrong copy on-and-on without a clue while everyone in the studio is screaming that you're a jerk!

\"music, push 1, ready 2, announce, and take 2, push 2, ready 1, announce, take 1, chyron, push 1, ready 2, lights, take 2, open the doors, music, announce, pan 2, ready 1, take 1, roll (vtr) A, take A, and chyron in, who wants that crappy trip, ready 3, chyron out, take 3, follow her, ready Bob, take 3, cue Bob....\"

You have to \"listen\" to it all, but only \"hear\" the stuff relevant to you. The rest you sort of filter out of your consciousness.

Randy
tvrandywest.com

clemon79

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2003, 04:07:36 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 17 2003,11:13 PM\']You have to \"listen\" to it all, but only \"hear\" the stuff relevant to you. The rest you sort of filter out of your consciousness.[/quote]
That makes perfect sense, now that you explain it. When I worked in TV news it was the same thing...the director is shouting readies and cues to every member of the crew, but you're only interested in the ones directed at you. It's just far easier to do that when you're not talking yourself and instead moving a camera, or opening a mic, or shoving a tape into a machine and cueing it up...

Robair

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2003, 06:08:39 AM »
For a number of the years in the early 1980s on TPIR you could actually hear some of the headset announcements, although very faintly, over the air, primarily when Johnny was about to speak.  You could hear \"music\" and then a cue would star to play or maybe \"open doors\" and the doors would open on a car.  Probably the headsets leaking out and being caught by John's mic? It seemed to happen a lot on \"Pyramid\" as well, when the show started you could hear \"music\" and then the theme would play. Just another weird observation on a board full of 'em.
--Robair

cmjb13

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2003, 06:26:58 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 17 2003, 08:32 PM\'] The director is told instantly after the contestant has made their decision, and the info is then broadcast loud and clear for all the folks who need to know... audio sfx, music, cameras, among them. [/quote]
 $1201. Over
$1100. Over
$1000. Over
$1        Number 3. Number 3. Zoom to 3.

Couldn't they call people who don't win non-winners rather than losers?

At least on H2, when they pick the wrong key, it's \"Bad key, Bad key, Bad key\", rather than Loser.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Ian Wallis

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2003, 09:08:32 AM »
During that break Bob meets with Roger and Phil to decide in which order to reveal the prices for maximum drama. \"In the course of that discussion the actual identity of the winners and/or losers may be discerned\" ;-)

I wonder if there are some shows where they just leave it to Bob (or even a contestant) to decide who to reveal first.  I was watching a CBS rerun over the summer, and after the commercial break, Bob asked one of the contestants which one she wanted him to reveal first.

Was that just for show, or would he have taken her decision regardless?  If I recall, on that show the contestant said it didn't matter.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2003, 09:50:24 AM »
They probably choose to do it that way every once in a while for variety's sake, but even then it's a carefully determined decision and not nearly as devil-may-care random as it appears.  They must have scenarios where the producers decide there's not much difference in which price is revealed first.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvrandywest

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2003, 10:36:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Sep 18 2003, 05:08 AM\'] For a number of the years in the early 1980s on TPIR you could actually hear some of the headset announcements, although very faintly, over the air, primarily when Johnny was about to speak.  You could hear \"music\" and then a cue would star to play or maybe \"open doors\" and the doors would open on a car.  Probably the headsets leaking out and being caught by John's mic? It seemed to happen a lot on \"Pyramid\" as well, when the show started you could hear \"music\" and then the theme would play. Just another weird observation on a board full of 'em. [/quote]
The \"bleed\" on Pyramid was extreme. I heard it also, but I think I remember it as being on the New York shows. As it was prevalent with many different announcers I suspect it was not about hot headphones too close to an open mic.

I never heard it on TPIR. Does anybody have an example of the audio that they can post? It's doubtful you'd hear the control room when Rod is announcing as he wears IFBs that fit into his ears, but in the earlier days he wore those Sennheiser foam-phones that were capable of some bleed if your headphones were up loud. Dear Johnny, on the other hand, had a single earphone that he held to his ear for cues and would sometimes place on his music stand or podium during long reads. That's a scenario that's more prone to bleed, except that I recall him running his volume quite soft (he used to let me listen  ;-)

For the record, I wear them Sony \"studio monitor\" closed heaphones so I can play my custom mix LOUD (just me, Bob, the one-bid mics at half volume, and a little of the music - the audience and sfx are loud enough in the house). I believe Burton gets the full program mix in one ear and the booth in the other, and is still wearing the IFBs even though we're never on camera. Paul Boland hears the full program mix on Channel 2 at 10AM  (ouch, did I really say that?! Sorry, brother. Although we've never met, I hear Paul's really a nice guy. I often step over the line in pursuit of a laugh, but I'm on medication for it   ;-)

Just another moment of minutiae on a board wonderfully laden with them!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 10:51:59 AM by tvrandywest »

tommycharles

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2003, 11:16:22 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 18 2003, 09:36 AM\'] I believe Burton gets the full program mix in one ear and the booth in the other, and is still wearing the IFBs even though we're never on camera. [/quote]
 Oddly, I remember seeing a screenshot from the first week that he announced which must have been one of the few (if only) times a guest announcer was seen on camera, and there he was, headphones and all. When did he switch to IFB's?

clemon79

Two TPIR questions
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2003, 11:39:08 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 18 2003, 03:26 AM\'] Couldn't they call people who don't win non-winners rather than losers?
 [/quote]
In most control rooms, the concept of \"political correctness\" is completely and utterly foreign. (As it should be, IMO, but that should surprise nobody. :)) That, and the risk of a crewmember mixing up \"winner\" and \"non-winner\" is far greater than if you use a less-aurally-similar designation like \"loser\".
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Sep 18 2003, 07:36 AM\']For the record, I wear them Sony \"studio monitor\" closed heaphones so I can play my custom mix LOUD [/quote]
V-6's, or the newer V-600's? I got a set of V-6's in college that I still use today, and you will pry that headset from my cold dead fingers. My brother has the V-600's, and while they seem to be lighter and possibly more comfortable for long-term wear, I still prefer my V-6's. In fact, every so often I see a store still selling them, I should pick up another pair next time I see one just to put on a shelf in case my current ones ever die...

And what is it with you former DJ's being half-deef anyhow? ;) When I was working at a rock radio station in the summer of '93, I would on occasion come in after the Grizzled Veteran who had been doing middays at that place since I was teeny. (He's still there today, in fact. Rich Berlyn. Great guy.) I would invariably forget to turn down the studio monitors when I took over, and I would invariably be blasted out of my shorts with the first few bars of AC/DC or whatever until I could force my way through the sonic shockwave to the monitor volume knob. :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 11:39:29 AM by clemon79 »