Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Endemol, Purveyors of Fine Television Worldwide...  (Read 8392 times)

curtking

Endemol, Purveyors of Fine Television Worldwide...
« on: May 29, 2007, 10:01:35 AM »
Endemol is producing a show in the Netherlands (debuts Friday night) which will feature contestants competing to receive a donated kidney.  The donor is terminally ill and will make the selection herself:

BBC Article on End-Em-All's New Show

Stay classy, Endemol!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 10:09:55 AM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' post=\'153667\' date=\'May 29 2007, 09:01 AM\'] Endemol is producing a show in the Netherlands (debuts Friday night) which will feature contestants competing to receive a donated kidney.  The donor is terminally ill and will make the selection herself:
[/quote]

A television contest in which the losing participants may very well die as a result.  Absolutely wonderful.  You know, until now, my gripe with Endemol were limited to their mediocre-to-awful formats, desire to have caricatures as contestants instead of actual people (the networks really helped on this one), ADHD-inspired production quality, and just in-general urinating on the genre.  

But garbage like this is a wholly different animal - this isn't some harmless little game where the winner goes home with a wad of cash and the loser gets Turtle Wax and Lee Press-On Nails - this is giving the winner a kidney transplant, and possibly condeming the losers to death.  There are so many things I could call this concept of a show, but for the benefit of those who abstain from the profane, I'll simply say - it's sick.  Absolutely sick.

tpirfan28

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 10:11:55 AM »
I heard about this show on the news this morning.  While it probably looked good on paper, it doesn't translate well, at all.

There are words I want to say about this show, but it'd probably get me banned.  So I won't.

Good f'in job.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

dzinkin

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 10:16:25 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'153669\' date=\'May 29 2007, 10:11 AM\']
There are words I want to say about this show, but it'd probably get me banned.  So I won't.
[/quote]
After hearing Mike Klauss's story of the DoND audience member with diabetes, I thought that the company couldn't sink any lower.  I was wrong.

I'm really, really tempted to open a special no-holds-barred subforum for venting at Endemol.

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 10:35:21 AM »
Queen For A Day doesn't seem so bad now.

J.R.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 10:58:34 AM »
Hey Endemol, what's next? A game show where the losers are shot?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:09:16 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 11:57:05 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'153669\' date=\'May 29 2007, 07:11 AM\']
I heard about this show on the news this morning.  While it probably looked good on paper,[/quote]
I fail to see any scenario where that even looks good on paper.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 12:48:30 PM »
How long before one of the US networks tries to pick this up. (rolls eyes)

This makes "Who's Your Daddy" look somewhat respectable.

[quote name=\''curtking'\']
Stay classy, Endemol!
[/quote]

Heh...I'm thinking of another Ron Burgundy sign-off for Endemol.

/The one that got him fired.
//And hated by most of San Diego.
///Scotch-scotch-scotch!
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 12:58:10 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'153680\' date=\'May 29 2007, 11:57 AM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'153669\' date=\'May 29 2007, 07:11 AM\']
I heard about this show on the news this morning.  While it probably looked good on paper,[/quote]
I fail to see any scenario where that even looks good on paper.
[/quote]When the paper just said "NEW REALITY GAME SHOW IDEA" and nothing else.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'153684\' date=\'May 29 2007, 12:48 PM\']
[/quote]Fox hasn't had an Endemol production yet, have they?

Heh...I'm thinking of another Ron Burgundy sign-off for Endemol.

/The one that got him fired.
//And hated by most of San Diego.
///Scotch-scotch-scotch!
If they decide to make a "no holds barred" subtopic for ranting about Endemol, then I'll make that my first post.  Might even make it my sig before then.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 01:26:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'153668\' date=\'May 29 2007, 07:09 AM\']But garbage like this is a wholly different animal - this isn't some harmless little game where the winner goes home with a wad of cash and the loser gets Turtle Wax and Lee Press-On Nails - this is giving the winner a kidney transplant, and possibly condeming the losers to death.  There are so many things I could call this concept of a show, but for the benefit of those who abstain from the profane, I'll simply say - it's sick.  Absolutely sick.[/quote]Except for one thing; I'm going to guess that the losers are still on the waiting list, and they still would be even if they hadn't signed up. So they're no worse off than they were before. And one person does get a transplant, so there is that. There are more than enough people adding gas to the fire in Europe, so I'm not going to jump in the fray.

Make no mistake, I don't like the idea, and I'm completely unsurprised that it's Endemol that came up with the program. The best idea, which I'm sure never even entered the thoughts of those involved, would be something along the lines of a documentary detailing the problem, which is a grave one. Show the audience who benefits from the donation, and implore more people to sign up.

To sum up: noble idea, really really bad execution.
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 01:28:06 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'153686\' date=\'May 29 2007, 12:58 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'153684\' date=\'May 29 2007, 12:48 PM\']
[/quote]Fox hasn't had an Endemol production yet, have they?[/quote]
It's not a rip-off of any current show, so Murdoch would want no part of it.

Have you read Chuck Barris's new book?
This signature is currently under construction.

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 01:42:44 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'153675\' date=\'May 29 2007, 10:58 AM\']
[/quote]

They'd have to buy the rights of the concept from Chuck Barris!!!

Joe Mello beat me to the punch!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 01:43:48 PM by TimK2003 »

JayDLewis

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 01:46:23 PM »
What's the big deal? It's the donor's kidney and "Lisa" can do with it as she pleases. To me, it doesn't seem much different than that basketball player who got a kidney(?), basically jumping the list and taking away an organ from someone who wasn't a "celebrity."

Besides...it's been done. there was a show in The Netherlands (IIRC) where the winner of a "Queen For A Day" contest received some sort of experimental cancer drug. Taking it down one peg, Venezuela (Colombia?) had that game show where the winner got a government job (when people were begging for jobs, the unemployment rate was so high).
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

TimK2003

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 01:47:31 PM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' post=\'153667\' date=\'May 29 2007, 10:01 AM\']
Endemol is producing a show in the Netherlands (debuts Friday night) which will feature contestants competing to receive a donated kidney.  The donor is  terminally ill.[/quote]

There, Fixed That For Ya!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 01:59:01 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'153697\' date=\'May 29 2007, 10:46 AM\']
What's the big deal? It's the donor's kidney and "Lisa" can do with it as she pleases.[/quote]
"These ten people need a new kidney, or they will die. Week by week, "Lisa" will eliminate these people, condemning them to possible death, until only one is left.

"Ten people on their death bed. One will rise as they become...THE PHOENIX."

You don't have a problem with that? Yeah, she can do what she wants with it, but you don't think that basically putting it up for auction (essentially what this is: "who's willing to prostitute themselves enough for me to give them my kidney!") isn't a LITTLE morally tasteless?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe