Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 444661 times)

Adam Nedeff

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1980 on: November 04, 2012, 01:59:35 AM »
Spotted at Barnes & Noble: Endless Games's Password 7th Edition. I hope they proofread the words this time.
No, Alfonzo, no, "Password" is FAR more fun to play when you have to come up with the perfect clues for "luckfear" and "freezeopinion."

narzo

« Reply #1981 on: December 05, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »
two new game shows have appeared on the Canadian iTunes store, "1 vs 100" and "Deal or No Deal" in what appears to be extensions of games already launched by iWin.  You do not need an iwin or Gree account to play, but logging into Gree will track your scores and compare them to the leader-board.  Cost for each game? free.  Obviously there are in game purchases they want you to make but don't have to.

"1 vs 100" is actually very well done, true to game play as you know it with the scoring difference being each question starts at a dollar amount and decreases the longer it takes for you to answer.  You win that times the number of persons eliminated.  You get in game bonuses for achieving targets and breaking personal records.  I would actually have paid for this one, it's very well done.

Now...

If you can't find one of the other 5,276 ways to play "Deal or No Deal", then you may be interested.  For a free game, I still feel like I'm owed a refund.  Plays just like the TV show, but with graphics that rival the finest nintendo 64.  Play with or without a Gree account, or just don't play it at all.  Period.  There, I've said enough.

Speaking of, there is also a new "Deal or No Deal" game in the UK iTunes store, but the second it detected I wasn't in the UK or Ireland, it wouldn't even open the game for me to play.  I think it's connected with a gambling site over there.

pacdude

« Reply #1982 on: December 12, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »
For those with the ability and the wherewithal to do so, the UK iTunes store has an updated official version of Countdown which is far more faithful to the show than the previous official version. Updated set, definitions with your words, and the ability to play against someone via Game Center. An Instagrammed screenshot in which I spelled a 7-letter pluralized genital, is here.

There's also games for Mastermind and Strike it Lucky available as well.

Edit: I've posted a video to showcase the game in motion.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:31:48 AM by pacdude »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1983 on: December 12, 2012, 12:25:08 PM »
Is there any sort of trick for those of us in the US gaining access to the UK app store?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pacdude

« Reply #1984 on: December 12, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Is there any sort of trick for those of us in the US gaining access to the UK app store?

1) Get a new e-mail address.
2) Buy a UK iTunes Gift Card (here will just e-mail you the code).
3) Switch to the UK App Store.
4) Attempt to download a free app (so you don't need to add a credit card)
5) Create your Apple ID with your info and a UK address (I used BBC Television Center's address)
6) After you get your free app, redeem your gift card.
6) Go to town.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:45:33 PM by pacdude »

tvwxman

« Reply #1985 on: December 12, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »

1) Get a new e-mail address.
2) Buy a UK iTunes Gift Card (here will just e-mail you the code).
3) Switch to the UK App Store.
4) Attempt to download a free app (so you don't need to add a credit card)
5) Create your Apple ID with your info and a UK address (I used BBC Television Center's address)
6) After you get your free app, redeem your gift card.
6) Go to town.

Many thanks for this - i have been told that the BBC radio app is.....awesome.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

narzo

« Reply #1986 on: December 12, 2012, 05:28:43 PM »
looks like they also have a "Mastermind" app out.  This new version of "Countdown" is a drastic improvement over the other app.

Before you get too excited about downloading apps from the UK store, be advised ones that involve streaming will still not work outside the UK in some situations.  If it's free you've nothing to lose, but don't spend money on streaming apps as it may not work in the USA.  

Also if you make in-app purchases (like "Million Pound Drop") from your device, it will not allow you to make in-app purchases from a different country store for 90 days.

pacdude

« Reply #1987 on: December 12, 2012, 07:03:57 PM »
Before you get too excited about downloading apps from the UK store, be advised ones that involve streaming will still not work outside the UK in some situations.  If it's free you've nothing to lose, but don't spend money on streaming apps as it may not work in the USA.  

Unless you use Tunlr. I have it set up at home and BBC iPlayer works wonders. I can even download episodes and watch them elsewhere. It works aces on apps that use IP locating to sense where you are I have it set up at home and BBC iPlayer works wonders. I can even download episodes and watch them elsewhere. (If an app asks to use your location to see if you're eligible to watch something, Tunlr won't work.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 07:04:18 PM by pacdude »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1988 on: December 12, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
Unless you use Tunlr. I have it set up at home and BBC iPlayer works wonders.
Am I right in saying that all that is is "use our DNS servers?"

MAN, that would have been useful during the Olympics.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pacdude

« Reply #1989 on: December 12, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »
BBC's coverage of everything except Basketball was fantastic and streamed nicely in HD on my iPhone.

pacdude

« Reply #1990 on: December 13, 2012, 12:15:23 PM »
Oh, and You Don't Know Jack has an app that nicely ties into their Facebook game. Out today.

tvmitch

« Reply #1991 on: December 13, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »
To throw my two cents in this discussion about accessing UK things.

I have a subscription to a service called IBVPN. This is a VPN service that is useful for the UK stuff plus many other things, the first of which is that it gives you good US VPN speed, for flipping it on when in Starbucks to really protect your connection.

Now, this is a paid service. It is a step above a service like Tunlr (which is in itself very neat). With VPN you are getting location switching plus privacy. There are UK servers and servers from many other countries. I have tried several of these VPN services and have found IBVPN to be a good mix of quality and price.

YMMV.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:02:06 PM by tvmitch »
You should follow me on Twitter

narzo

« Reply #1992 on: December 13, 2012, 03:38:19 PM »
Looks like we have a new "Wheel of Fortune" app for iPad/iPhone and this could be interesting, it's celebrating 30 years with Pat and it appears you can play the show at various stages through his tenure.  You start with "present day" but will be able to unlock "millennium" "90's" "80's" and "premiere"

EDIT: now that I've had a chance to play a full game I can say with certainty, that's the best 3 bucks I've dropped in ages.  Some thoughts in no particular order:

1.  The animation is a vast improvement over the last one.
2.  Yes there is an animated Pat, but his vocals are in text only.
3.  plays like todays show without prizes. TU, TU, Jackpot, Mystery, Round 3, TU, Round 4 which will be interrupted for the final spin of the day.
4.  After you play your first game with one of three basic characters, you can customize him/her
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:02:30 PM by narzo »

Brig Bother

« Reply #1993 on: December 13, 2012, 04:33:33 PM »
If you can get UK iTunes, the The Chase app is very good.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1994 on: December 14, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »
Looks like we have a new "Wheel of Fortune" app for iPad/iPhone and this could be interesting, it's celebrating 30 years with Pat and it appears you can play the show at various stages through his tenure.  You start with "present day" but will be able to unlock "millennium" "90's" "80's" and "premiere"
I have to agree- the game is quite nice. Once you win five shows on a set, you get to go a decade back.

A couple other things I like:
-The in-game store takes place on the '80s shopping turntable. Nice tie-in. Still waiting for the eventual ceramic dalmatian reference.
-When you go back an era, the scoreboards go back to eggcrate. and the contestant backdrop changes.
-The staging is set up so that when you're given the spin/buy/solve option, the camera zooms into the puzzleboard (kinda hard to explain without you seeing it, but it's a nice addition)

Nitpicks
-Free Play only gives you a chance to choose a letter- you can't solve the puzzle. Granted, I don't think anybody has ever used the space for the latter, so it's no big deal.
-Same music/cues throughout. Like I said, it's a nitpick. I don't program, so I don't know the difficulty of having the puzzle solve cue be different for each era- I'm happy with what they've done here.
-I always thought Wheel would work great as a turn-based online game (in the same vein as Words With Friends), but alas, there's no multiplayer at all.

I can't say anything past that since I've only reached the early 2000s stage, but if I get to the 90s and tossups are gone, that would be awesome. Anyhoo, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives here, and for $3 bucks, I highly recommend it over the previous version. I'd love to see Jeopardy get the same treatment for its 30th season next year.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.