Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 445904 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1935 on: September 17, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »
If you're a Windows Phone user, you're in luck- Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune just dropped on the WP Store this morning for $2 and $5 respectively.
That second one is gonna be an issue; for five bones I had better get cheevos.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1936 on: September 17, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »
Two things I hope they've improved with the app:

1) I'd like to be able to play a full 15-to-20-minute game.  In the last edition, the main game ended after three rounds--we don't get to see the $5K!
2) Computer opponents aren't always the brightest.  They'd sometimes call a "Q" or something near the start of the round.

I agree with you on the timed game option. For them to put so much emphasis on the $5K space in their marketing, it's kinda a bummer that we don't see it in the actual game.

Regarding your second point: are they doing this on hard mode? If so, my only explanation of why that happens is that the game may have probabilities for picking a right or wrong letter like so:

Easy mode: CPU has 40% chance of picking a right letter.
Regular mode: CPU has 60% chance of picking a right letter.
Hard mode: CPU has 80% chance of picking a right letter.

Once the program sees that the computer player has landed on a valid wedge, it runs a random draw program based on the probabilities above to see what kind of letter the CPU player chooses. If the random draw comes up "right letter", the computer chooses a random good letter from that pile. If it comes up "wrong letter", the computer player chooses a random letter from the bad stack- hence why you would get computer players choosing X, Q, and Z more often than not.

I don't code computer programs (and never have), so if my statement above seems illogical, let me know.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:10:09 AM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1937 on: September 17, 2012, 02:48:12 PM »
No, it's very likely you nailed the computer AI perfectly.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1938 on: September 21, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
If you're a Windows Phone user, you're in luck- Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune just dropped on the WP Store this morning for $2 and $5 respectively.
That second one is gonna be an issue; for five bones I had better get cheevos.
One small error I'm seeing with the game is that the player who solved the last puzzle begins the next round. Is that how the iphone game plays out too?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1939 on: October 01, 2012, 04:53:17 PM »
Hey all,

There's a game on the Windows Phone store called This or That- it's kinda like a game show speed round (even using some game show SFX). You're given a pair of opposite words (first and last, black and white), and given a clue, the answer to which includes one of those two phrases. For example, if given right and wrong, and the clue "Hosted by Bob Barker", you'd pick right, for The Price is Right. It's a nice little time waster if you have a couple minutes, and it's $2 in the marketplace. Pics and description are in the link below.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/this-or-that/6e29eb31-8595-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8

Marc412

« Reply #1940 on: October 01, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
There's a similar (but not the same) iOS game called "This or That".  It's free to download, and you can buy more question packs for a buck apiece.

Marc412

« Reply #1941 on: October 02, 2012, 05:49:52 PM »
There's also a new iOS game called Weakest Link and Friends.  It's based on the game show, but with some differences:
1) You play individually against four other players in three rounds, then the head-to-head.  There's no waiting your turn.
2) Each round lasts 45 seconds, and each question has 4 possible answers.  If you don't know an answer, you can bank, then guess.  When you get 7 correct answers in a row, you complete the chain and the $2,000 is automatically banked, and with the time left you can try for more.  When time runs out, whatever money's on the chain you're working on is banked too.
3) Rather than being voted out, the player with the lowest bankroll at the end of each round is eliminated.

pacdude

« Reply #1942 on: October 03, 2012, 09:59:46 AM »
There's also a new iOS game called Weakest Link and Friends.  It's based on the game show, but with some differences:
1) You play individually against four other players in three rounds, then the head-to-head.  There's no waiting your turn.
2) Each round lasts 45 seconds, and each question has 4 possible answers.  If you don't know an answer, you can bank, then guess.  When you get 7 correct answers in a row, you complete the chain and the $2,000 is automatically banked, and with the time left you can try for more.  When time runs out, whatever money's on the chain you're working on is banked too.
3) Rather than being voted out, the player with the lowest bankroll at the end of each round is eliminated.

I'm surprised that this isn't worse, since it's Ludia. Maybe the BBC had a tighter hold on Ludia's leash than Fremantle does.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1943 on: October 03, 2012, 10:46:31 AM »
I'm surprised that this isn't worse, since it's Ludia. Maybe the BBC had a tighter hold on Ludia's leash than Fremantle does.
I don't know about you, but it does sound faintly ridiculous and pointless. No risk of losing the money, no voting out? That just makes it Generic iPhone Quiz Show.
Travis L. Eberle

Marc412

« Reply #1944 on: October 03, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
If you guess wrong without banking first, you still lose the cash on the chain so there is some risk involved.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #1945 on: October 03, 2012, 12:36:50 PM »
If you guess wrong without banking first, you still lose the cash on the chain so there is some risk involved.
Not enough, though -- especially if the questions are multiple-choice.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

alfonzos

« Reply #1946 on: October 11, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »
Went to a local thrift store and found DVD games by Imagination of BTC and TTTT. The back of the boxes tout versions of Double Dare (90s version), WML?, Tattletales, and Play Your Hunch. Is anybody familiar with theses games?
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1947 on: October 11, 2012, 08:41:55 PM »
From a cursory and furtive look at Twitter, apparently there's a Pointless quiz book.
Travis L. Eberle

Brig Bother

« Reply #1948 on: October 12, 2012, 04:55:01 AM »
From a cursory and furtive look at Twitter, apparently there's a Pointless quiz book.

Not really a quiz book, more of a comedy book with questions taken from Pointless in it to break it up.

Bob Zager

« Reply #1949 on: October 15, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »
Went to a local thrift store and found DVD games by Imagination of BTC and TTTT. The back of the boxes tout versions of Double Dare (90s version), WML?, Tattletales, and Play Your Hunch. Is anybody familiar with theses games?

I've only seen the BTC and TTTT DVD games, but only in a big multi-game package tin from Imagination Games.  Though the backside of the packaging of both BTC and TTTT mention all those other titles, I've never seen them in stores (nor at Imagination's website).

I'm assuming plans for those were scrapped, but who knows (anyone? anyone?)