Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 446448 times)

BrandonFG

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1905 on: May 11, 2012, 02:20:37 AM »
Sounds like a promotional item. I do remember that not too long after the show premiered, Comedy Central touted a few bells and whistles on its website, one of which was an online Ben Stein game, with the same title. I tried to play it online, and from what I remember it was insanely slow.

/Then again, I also had an insanely slow modem
//Even by 1998 standards
///For those of you wondering what a modem is, you can just get the hell off my lawn right damn now
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

CarbonCpy

« Reply #1906 on: May 11, 2012, 02:32:26 AM »
///For those of you wondering what a modem is, you can just get the hell off my lawn right damn now

Hell, I remember the days when a modem required putting a *handset* on top of it in order to dial out.

/Atari 400. Goldurn did I love that little computer.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1907 on: May 11, 2012, 12:42:37 PM »
I'm guessing it's a promotional item, given that it doesn't have any of the usual fine print.  Being afraid to take the shrink wrap off of it, has anyone ever tried this one out?  I'm still kind of shocked something like this would find its way down to this particular part of B-F-E.
Nifty find!  "Win Ben Stein's Cybermoney" was a game you could play on the Comedy Central website, but I never knew that there was hard-copy evidence of it.  I'd go along with the "promotional item" theory, and you'd be surprised how many local newspaper writers would get bombarded with this kind of stuff, so the fact that it ended up in your local thrift store may not be as crazy as you think.

I encourage you to open it and see what it's like.  I really can't imagine that it would have much of a collectible value, certainly not one that's appreciably affected by whether it's still sealed.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1908 on: May 11, 2012, 02:47:42 PM »
If it's the Flash (or Java?) game Comedy Central used to have on their website, it was definitely good for its time. It was a solo challenge in which you'd pick questions (from the show, with similar graphics) and try to have enough money to get through to the next round.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1909 on: May 11, 2012, 03:17:20 PM »
I'd be willing to bet it's the Flash game, packaged up as an executable.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CarbonCpy

« Reply #1910 on: May 11, 2012, 11:55:09 PM »
Having popped it open, I will confirm that it is.  The liner notes were shots of other Comedy Central shows (Jon Stewart with (mostly) black hair!  Strangers With Candy! Comedy Central's VS.!).  The whole disc (including a MOV and AVI of the first-season open) was 20mb.  

Anybody want a copy?

pacdude

« Reply #1911 on: May 12, 2012, 09:35:54 PM »
Having popped it open, I will confirm that it is.  The liner notes were shots of other Comedy Central shows (Jon Stewart with (mostly) black hair!  Strangers With Candy! Comedy Central's VS.!).  The whole disc (including a MOV and AVI of the first-season open) was 20mb.  

Anybody want a copy?

I would be way interested in that.

CarbonCpy

« Reply #1912 on: May 14, 2012, 03:54:16 PM »
I would be way interested in that.

Ask and ye shall receive.

(I couldn't get the scanner hooked up, otherwise I would have included the liner notes.)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1913 on: May 14, 2012, 04:03:02 PM »
Many many thanks! Time to do a Time Warp! Only thing I need now are those Sony Station games to be rebooted. :)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

narzo

« Reply #1914 on: May 15, 2012, 12:53:33 PM »
after a brief try-out in the Canadian iTunes store, "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader & Friends" is now available in the US store as well.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1915 on: May 19, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »
You Don't Know Jack is on the Roku Store now. I don't see a price, though. The iOS version is off the App Store, but a recent Jellyvision forum posts suggests it will be redone to mirror the Facebook game.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1916 on: May 19, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »
You Don't Know Jack is on the Roku Store now. I don't see a price, though.
$4.99, but there is a "lite" version for free.

FlashStash

« Reply #1917 on: May 22, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
YDKJ is also coming to Facebook...I'm beta-testing it now. Some old question types are back as well...

pacdude

« Reply #1918 on: May 22, 2012, 07:45:09 PM »
I'm testing it too, and it's a 5-question affair. Along with the question types available from the recent wii/Xbox release, gibberish questions are back.

No need to be vague. I've got an invite if anyone's interested.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1919 on: May 22, 2012, 11:46:56 PM »
I'm testing it too, and it's a 5-question affair. Along with the question types available from the recent wii/Xbox release, gibberish questions are back.

No need to be vague. I've got an invite if anyone's interested.
As much as I enjoy the new version, I really prefer the old way, where you buzz in to answer and stuff. It feels more like an actual game show. I understand why you don't do that for an XBox game, but there y'are.
Travis L. Eberle