Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 446486 times)

narzo

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1860 on: January 09, 2012, 06:15:02 PM »
You can order from the iTunes store from any country IF you have a credit card based in that country and an address to match, or using iTunes gift cards from the country your interested in and an address.  

I've purchased "Family Fortunes", "Countdown", "Deal or No Deal" (meh), "WWTBAM" UK, and "Bullseye" as well in the past.  

(plus the UK store has the entire run of "Whose Line..." UK for purchase, no clue why they can't make that available in the USA)

JepMasta

« Reply #1861 on: January 09, 2012, 10:38:56 PM »
You can order from the iTunes store from any country IF you have a credit card based in that country and an address to match, or using iTunes gift cards from the country your interested in and an address.  

I've purchased "Family Fortunes", "Countdown", "Deal or No Deal" (meh), "WWTBAM" UK, and "Bullseye" as well in the past.  

(plus the UK store has the entire run of "Whose Line..." UK for purchase, no clue why they can't make that available in the USA)

So, this begs the £1,000,000 question, how can a yank like me, order them in Tennessee?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #1862 on: January 09, 2012, 10:48:55 PM »

So, this begs the £1,000,000 question, how can a yank like me, order them in Tennessee?
It seems like the gift card route would be the easiest way for us...there are a lot of UK sites that sell iTunes cards by simply giving you the card code upon receipt of payment. A £15 gift card should cost about 26 American.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

catnap1972

« Reply #1863 on: January 16, 2012, 10:49:08 PM »
Apparently there are new HD versions of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy for android.  Reviews seem to be mixed.  Anyone try them out yet?

Hastin

« Reply #1864 on: January 17, 2012, 05:01:44 AM »
Apparently there are new HD versions of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy for android.  Reviews seem to be mixed.  Anyone try them out yet?

Yep. They are exactly the same as the HD versions (short of a couple of animations) on iOS. Runs fine on my Xoom tablet, but be advised that it feels like a sloppy port - so it might run slower on some cheaper Android tablets.
-Hastin :)

pacdude

« Reply #1865 on: January 17, 2012, 09:45:05 AM »

It seems like the gift card route would be the easiest way for us...there are a lot of UK sites that sell iTunes cards by simply giving you the card code upon receipt of payment. A £15 gift card should cost about 26 American.

I've done just this, and have acquired the Countdown app, the Catch Phrase app, the Bullseye app and the QI app (which is more of a book than a game, so won't be reviewed here, but is a solid buy for £2.99.)

Countdown: The experience is shorter than I'd like it to be. Letters, Numbers, Letters, Numbers, Conundrum, Play again. Double that and I feel like I would have got my £0.69 worth. I can just play twice, so it's no big deal. The graphics aren't optimized for Retina displays, so everything's a bit fuzzy on my 4S, but it's not a deal-breaker. The set is also the early-2000s Richard Whitely-style Pepto Bismol pink, which means that 1) the graphic designers are getting lazy, 2) there's nostalgia I'm missing or 3) this hasn't been updated in quite a while. For about a buck US, it's not bad.

Catch Phrase: Two things hinder this experience: my lack of knowledge of UK idioms and my fat fingers not finding the buzzer. Other than that, it's picture-perfect. The music is there, the gameplay is there. I hear Roy Walker in my head (and I think I heard it in the game somewhere, but I could be imagining it.)

Bullseye: The best in the bunch. The darts mechanic is solid and uses the iPhone's built-in accelerometer to aim, and a neat little target to simulate aim. There's different difficulties based on the skill of the dart thrower (for instance, the brainy one will be a little harder to accurately throw) and there's even a "relax" button to help out a little bit. Every round is represented and there's even achievements via OpenFeint. Even if some of the trivia is British-centric, not all of it is, which makes it very accessible.

As for the other game show apps I could find, I didn't get Family Fortunes because was made by Ludia, which meant I knew what I was getting into (a pile of shite). Deal or No Deal I didn't get as well (mostly because Noel looked extra creepy), and I passed on WWTBAM because frankly, the American one looks better graphically. I still have about £6 left on my gift card after buying those and a Stephen Fry audio book, so what should I get now?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 09:46:00 AM by pacdude »

narzo

« Reply #1866 on: January 17, 2012, 10:59:44 AM »

I've done just this, and have acquired the Countdown app, the Catch Phrase app, the Bullseye app and the QI app (which is more of a book than a game, so won't be reviewed here, but is a solid buy for £2.99.)

Countdown: The experience is shorter than I'd like it to be. Letters, Numbers, Letters, Numbers, Conundrum, Play again. Double that and I feel like I would have got my £0.69 worth. I can just play twice, so it's no big deal. The graphics aren't optimized for Retina displays, so everything's a bit fuzzy on my 4S, but it's not a deal-breaker. The set is also the early-2000s Richard Whitely-style Pepto Bismol pink, which means that 1) the graphic designers are getting lazy, 2) there's nostalgia I'm missing or 3) this hasn't been updated in quite a while. For about a buck US, it's not bad.

Catch Phrase: Two things hinder this experience: my lack of knowledge of UK idioms and my fat fingers not finding the buzzer. Other than that, it's picture-perfect. The music is there, the gameplay is there. I hear Roy Walker in my head (and I think I heard it in the game somewhere, but I could be imagining it.)

Bullseye: The best in the bunch. The darts mechanic is solid and uses the iPhone's built-in accelerometer to aim, and a neat little target to simulate aim. There's different difficulties based on the skill of the dart thrower (for instance, the brainy one will be a little harder to accurately throw) and there's even a "relax" button to help out a little bit. Every round is represented and there's even achievements via OpenFeint. Even if some of the trivia is British-centric, not all of it is, which makes it very accessible.

As for the other game show apps I could find, I didn't get Family Fortunes because was made by Ludia, which meant I knew what I was getting into (a pile of shite). Deal or No Deal I didn't get as well (mostly because Noel looked extra creepy), and I passed on WWTBAM because frankly, the American one looks better graphically. I still have about £6 left on my gift card after buying those and a Stephen Fry audio book, so what should I get now?

Fairly spot-on reviews.

FF is worth getting, I like it graphicly better and the format is played like the British version with the "spot-prize" and bonus payout based on if you get all the #1 answers.

I prefer the WWTBAM version in the UK store actually (I find interesting, you can select the money to be displayed in pounds or dollars)  since it's more "classic millionaire".  They have the original three lifelines until later in the game when you're given "switch".  You can play with or without the clock (LOVE the option) and with or without "fastest finger"

Interesting game to find called "Word Chains".  which plays similar to "Chain Reaction" in you're given a chain of words (seven, middle five unrevealed) and all the letters that will be seen in those words highlighted on the right (think MDCOAL).  You select a word to play and pick a letter, if it is the first available open letter of that word, working left to right, it shows up.  Otherwise you select a different one.  You are working against the clock and scored accordingly with, obviously, a chain created by the words.

DOND is terrible.  Since the latest OS upgrade the background music doesn't play at all and I doubt they will be updating it anytime soon.

Also, worth noting for those of us yanks who love the Brit shows, the Nintendo DS versions, from the UK, of DOND (also terrible) "Countdown" (plays exactly like the current show, worth getting) and "Golden Balls" (meh) all play on the US version of the hand-held device.

pacdude

« Reply #1867 on: January 17, 2012, 12:03:07 PM »
I prefer the WWTBAM version in the UK store actually (I find interesting, you can select the money to be displayed in pounds or dollars)  since it's more "classic millionaire".  They have the original three lifelines until later in the game when you're given "switch".  You can play with or without the clock (LOVE the option) and with or without "fastest finger"

Got it on your recommendation. You were right, it's pretty sweet. And I miss Fastest Finger First.

Also, Family Fortunes seems to not be available for the iPhone/iPod touch anymore. It's just for iPad.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:07:20 AM by pacdude »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1868 on: February 11, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »
There is a new Who Wants to be a Millionaire? movie edition game for iOS devices--$2.99 for the iPhone/iPod Touch version, $4.99 for the HD iPad version.  This new game is from 2waytraffic, unlike the previous Capcom games.  A bowling buddy friend says you can play in either dollars or pounds and the game uses "classic" Millionaire rules.  It comes with 500 questions.

Bob Zager

« Reply #1869 on: February 17, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »
The 2012 Toy Fair in New York just ended a couple of days ago, and unless somebody knows something I don't, it looks like nothing in the "Board/Box Game" category, relating to game shows is slated to be coming out this year.

There was one "hint," in a message at Endless Games' twitter page, asking the question of "Ready for 7th edition Password?"  I think it's too soon for that, since they just released the 50th Anniversary edition last fall.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1870 on: February 17, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
There was one "hint," in a message at Endless Games' twitter page, asking the question of "Ready for 7th edition Password?"  I think it's too soon for that, since they just released the 50th Anniversary edition last fall.
You'd think they would be running out of ways to cheap out on the production. I suppose they could ship the cards as one huge sheet and make you cut them up yourself.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #1871 on: February 17, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »
Thinking the same thing, Chris. Talk about a license to print money. A Password home game has got to be such a high-profit item for the price unless the licensing fee is outrageous. And I doubt that. Have been putting off the idea of buying a 50th Anniversary version for several reasons. In the end, it sounds like I'm spending 20 harder-to-spare dollars for a very pretty commemorative box when I have 14 editions of various forms of Password (standard, Plus, Educational, Fine, Junior, UK, Mil $$, and an original), none of which I've played all the way through. As a collector of sorts, part of me thinks it should be included in a "serious" collection because it's somewhat special. Recently bought a Reel To Reel Picture Show game, which is one of those oddball exceptions to the rule. But anyway, I have learned that patience pays off. Today's thrilling gift to someone becomes tomorrow's Goodwill donation or yard sale item. If all I'm getting is a pretty box, I'll wait and spend $1.99.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:18:47 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Bob Zager

« Reply #1872 on: February 29, 2012, 01:50:52 PM »
Here is a link to EG's 2012 catalog, with the Password 7th editon (w/new logo) on page 11:

http://kroegerinc.com/PDF%20Catalogs%202012/2012%20ENDLESS%20GAMES%20CATALOG.pdf

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #1873 on: February 29, 2012, 10:47:13 PM »
I see the all-new 4th edition Classic Family Feud game is "Chock full of survey questions from the TV game show"--obviously not the current version, since the game is still for ages 8 and up.

(Although, I bet they might be able to sell a few copies of Adult Family Feud...)

BrandonFG

« Reply #1874 on: February 29, 2012, 11:24:46 PM »
I see the all-new 4th edition Classic Family Feud game is "Chock full of survey questions from the TV game show"--obviously not the current version, since the game is still for ages 8 and up.

(Although, I bet they might be able to sell a few copies of Adult Family Feud...)
If it's Adult FF, then I guarantee you it's based on the current version. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!