Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 445945 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1785 on: October 27, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »
That said, I was pretty let down by how they handled the reboot of NBA Jam,
I'm neutral on it, partly because I'm just not that good. What disappointed you?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1786 on: October 27, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »
I'm neutral on it, partly because I'm just not that good. What disappointed you?
So, speaking mainly to the Xbox version, at one point it was supposed to be a pack-in bonus extra on NBA Elite 11, and then ostensibly would be released on XBLA at some later date. Then NBA Elite 11 didn't happen, and they said "Hey, it's ok, this gives us time to flesh NBA Jam out to be a full-blown retail product!", because EA knew they needed to get a basketball game of *some* sort out in the fall.

Then it shipped and it became evident within minutes that they rushed the hell out of it to make the ship date, and that EA's idea of "fleshing out" was "let's make sure it boots from a disc"...really thrown together, bare-bones presentation...no interstitials *at all* between quarters (Really?)...a completely pedestrian "season mode," etc. And the gameplay itself didn't feel tuned at all. The flow I got from playing the original Jam wasn't there.

Basically it felt like they took the code from the Wii version and then outsourced it to someone and said "make this run on an Xbox, stat!" and then didn't bother tuning it to the hardware once they had it running. And then they had the audacity to charge a retail $50 for it when it CLEARLY should have been a no-more-than-$15 XBLA download, a point they conceded when they released the "On Fire Edition" as exactly that earlier this month.

So, yeah, little wary of EA's "arcade sports" titles. Too much goodwill burned.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:55:28 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1787 on: October 27, 2011, 04:55:59 PM »
I forgot about the thumb-twiddling between quarters, which is irksome. All very valid points, there.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #1788 on: October 27, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
I forgot about the thumb-twiddling between quarters, which is irksome. All very valid points, there.
It also did not help them that the bar they were being measured against was not the original NBA Jam, it was NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC, which nailed the presentation so thoroughly it should be recognized by the National Carpentry Foundation. To this day, if I'm gonna pull my Dreamcast out of the mothballs and fire it up, there are two games I'm gonna pull out first: Crazy Taxi, and that one.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 05:06:30 PM by clemon79 »

weaklink75

« Reply #1789 on: October 27, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »
I read an ESPN.com article on it...one disappointing thing is the NFL made them take out the late hits in the game...but I was OK with the NBA Jam reboot, so this should be OK (when it gets to the Wii- it's the reverse from NBA Jam in that they announced the Wii version first then decided to go with the XBOX 360 and PS3 versions...)

getting back on-topic, I was disappointed with the Password 50th Anniversary- they used the cardboard password readers and not the leatherette ones again...

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1790 on: October 28, 2011, 01:47:04 AM »
So, speaking mainly to the Xbox version, at one point it was supposed to be a pack-in bonus extra on NBA Elite 11, and then ostensibly would be released on XBLA at some later date. Then NBA Elite 11 didn't happen, and they said "Hey, it's ok, this gives us time to flesh NBA Jam out to be a full-blown retail product!", because EA knew they needed to get a basketball game of *some* sort out in the fall.

Then it shipped and it became evident within minutes that they rushed the hell out of it to make the ship date, and that EA's idea of "fleshing out" was "let's make sure it boots from a disc"...really thrown together, bare-bones presentation...no interstitials *at all* between quarters (Really?)...a completely pedestrian "season mode," etc. And the gameplay itself didn't feel tuned at all. The flow I got from playing the original Jam wasn't there.

Basically it felt like they took the code from the Wii version and then outsourced it to someone and said "make this run on an Xbox, stat!" and then didn't bother tuning it to the hardware once they had it running. And then they had the audacity to charge a retail $50 for it when it CLEARLY should have been a no-more-than-$15 XBLA download, a point they conceded when they released the "On Fire Edition" as exactly that earlier this month.

So, yeah, little wary of EA's "arcade sports" titles. Too much goodwill burned.
I really didn't care for some of the game modes (although I appreciate the effort), but then again, Jam has never been about the remix modes and all...I did like their inclusion of classic teams, but I didn't like that the rosters were locked- considering that four separate versions are out there right now and there's no updates to keep them all on the same page roster-wise is a questionable decision.

To counter your $15 point, keep in mind that the original console versions sold for the $50 price point as well, and all you got then was 2 on 2 basketball and initial save accounts. Considering the drivel that has been released between the new age Jam and Jam Tournament Edition 17 years ago, the $50 price point wasn't a big complaint for me. Could the game have been better? Maybe. But you could do a lot worse when it comes to buying ported $50 games, IMHO. Just because we live in a time of 99 cent apps and 800 point arcade games doesn't mean that everybody has to abide to that pricing strategy.

The only things I felt were missing were a create a player mode and roster updates. Other than that I thought it was a good reboot. Considering your opinion, I guess mileages greatly vary on this one.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

« Reply #1791 on: October 28, 2011, 02:46:03 AM »
To counter your $15 point, keep in mind that the original console versions sold for the $50 price point as well, and all you got then was 2 on 2 basketball and initial save accounts.
Utterly apples and oranges. I mean, not even close. Game pricing, development costs, and distribution was all so different those almost-20-years-ago that you simply can't draw a comparison. You could get away with charging $80 for a triple-A PC game in 1993. You can't now.

Just because we live in a time of 99 cent apps and 800 point arcade games doesn't mean that everybody has to abide to that pricing strategy.
Well, you're certainly EA's target customer.

Do they have to abide by it? No, of course not, free market. But they will certainly be JUDGED based on it. Maybe not the 99-cent apps because trying to pull mobile gaming into this discussion is another heaping helping of fail, but you can ABSOLUTELY compare it to a $10 or $15 download, or even products in its price range. I paid what amounted to $50 for NHL 12. (Full price from Amazon, but they gave me $10 in Amazon store credit, which was money I was going to spend anyhow; it went to my preorder for my Kindle Fire.) If you put the two games side by side and ask someone which game looks more polished, which one presents itself better, it's not even remotely close. If you put it next to NHL Arcade or Madden NFL Arcade (both 1200-point ($15) games on release), the comparison becomes a whole lot closer.

If it were a $30 retail title, I could almost see your argument. Do you really think it's THREE TIMES a better value than an XBLA game? (Hint: EA doesn't even think so anymore.)

The only things I felt were missing were a create a player mode and roster updates.
I like a little sizzle with my steak, what can I say? Did you really think an almost entirely black screen with a little text reading "End of 1st Quarter", no extra music, sounds, nothing, just the same background music loop, was full-retail presentation?

Considering your opinion, I guess mileages greatly vary on this one.
I acknowledge your right to an opinion, but man, do I not see it. At all.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 02:53:26 AM by clemon79 »

dazztardly

« Reply #1792 on: October 29, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »

If you want to attempt to get the licensing rights, it will cost a pretty penny. You could try to contact a producer at Sony Online Entertainment, and offer a treatment for the game.

Does Sony even still own the rights? I only ask because the TTD game for iPhone last year appeared to be licensed through NBCUniversal. How does one find out who holds format rights?

Unrelated to the above, I'm surprised there's been no mention of Family Game Night 4: The Game Show coming soon to the big three consoles with Kinect and PSMove support. http://www.ea.com/family-game-night-4

Yes Sony still has the rights to Joker. Tic Tac Dough is one of a few formats that are not part of their ownership package, and is managed by NBCUniversal.

Bob Zager

« Reply #1793 on: October 29, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »
getting back on-topic, I was disappointed with the Password 50th Anniversary- they used the cardboard password readers and not the leatherette ones again...
BTW, the readers you describe are just like the ones in the 6th edition, and DO NOT mention "50th," on them, as the picture on bottom of box shows.

GSNFAN3000

« Reply #1794 on: October 30, 2011, 10:48:46 PM »
Iwin (Creators of FAMILY FEUD games before Ludia as well as the Facebook versions of Feud, Deal or No Deal, $100,000 Pyramid, and 1 vs. 100) have released a PC Download of "Deal or No Deal" and will release a PC version of "1 vs. 100"

Deal or No Deal
http://www.iwin.com/games/deal-or-no-deal

1 vs. 100
http://www.iwin.com/games/_1-vs-100_a_icn_iwin_comingsoon

tpirfan28

« Reply #1795 on: November 01, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »
From G-R.net...Race Game doesn't add winnings at all.  Full, partial...nothing.

I was considering picking up TPIR Decades when it went bargain bin, but c'mon.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Hastin

« Reply #1796 on: November 01, 2011, 08:22:41 PM »
Played it today, and avoid Millionaire 2012 for the Xbox like the plague.

In addition to using the online-game Money Tree ($100 through $10,000), it doesn't allow you to Ask the Audience in Round 1, only Jump twice (ATA doesn't come until round 2). EDIT: Seems to be the exact same code as the online game, Money Tree appears at the same time, references in the objects and flash objects of the online game are the same.

Kinect to answer the questions works really well for me, and the graphics are spiffy, but that's about it.

This also wasn't QAed, because theirs times when 3-4 music cues will overlap, creating a loud mess of a game. Not to mention that all kinds of music cues are not in the right part of the game.

Did anyone at Ludia making this even watch the TV show?

Pass on this one, glad I got to play it - but didn't buy it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:13:13 PM by Hastin »
-Hastin :)

clemon79

« Reply #1797 on: November 01, 2011, 09:44:35 PM »
Kinect to answer the questions works really well for me, and the graphics are spiffy, but that's about it.
How'd they do this? Voice, hover, both?

This also wasn't QAed, because theirs times when 3-4 music cues will overlap, creating a loud mess of a game.
Are the credits viewable from the demo? Now I kinda want to look at it and see if I know any names on the MS side.

Did anyone at Ludia making this even watch the TV show?
I'm gonna guess that the percentage of the production team (outsourcers included) that actually has seen the show is a whole lot lower than you'd think.

Hastin

« Reply #1798 on: November 01, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »
How'd they do this? Voice, hover, both?

Both. Even questions with answers that sound the same, the Kinect had no problem picking them up. You can play the whole game with your voice, and it works well.

I'll get you a credit list.
-Hastin :)

WhammyPower

« Reply #1799 on: November 01, 2011, 11:00:08 PM »
I got the $16K win my first time playing It's In The Bag... and the game added $30,000 to my total.