Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 446389 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1560 on: February 03, 2011, 03:26:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'256284\' date=\'Feb 3 2011, 12:13 PM\']They've been touting that game on TV for a couple months now. Glad to see it's finally out. Now if only Capcom could discount Cash Cab....[/quote]
They have, because I have it, and I know I wouldn't have paid more than a buck for it. If anything at all.

AppShopper is a good way to keep track of sales.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:26:57 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #1561 on: February 03, 2011, 06:55:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'256288\' date=\'Feb 3 2011, 03:26 PM\'][quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'256284\' date=\'Feb 3 2011, 12:13 PM\']They've been touting that game on TV for a couple months now. Glad to see it's finally out. Now if only Capcom could discount Cash Cab....[/quote]
They have, because I have it, and I know I wouldn't have paid more than a buck for it. If anything at all.
[/quote]
Pretty sure it was free because I have it, and haven't purchased [money changing hands] anything off the App Store in months.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 06:55:29 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1562 on: February 03, 2011, 06:58:40 PM »
Yeah, the iPhone version is only 99c. Good call.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1563 on: February 03, 2011, 07:42:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'256288\' date=\'Feb 3 2011, 03:26 PM\'][quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'256284\' date=\'Feb 3 2011, 12:13 PM\']They've been touting that game on TV for a couple months now. Glad to see it's finally out. Now if only Capcom could discount Cash Cab....[/quote]
They have, because I have it, and I know I wouldn't have paid more than a buck for it. If anything at all.[/quote]
It was free at http://freeappaday.com/ several months ago.  ISTR paying 99 cents for Cash Cab: Vegas.

Bob Zager

« Reply #1564 on: February 04, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
The annual Toy Fair in New York is a little more than a week away, and already announced by Endless Games is a children's version of Password, called "Picture Password," where kids try to come up with the "Password," through pictures seen on the card.

That's all at this time, and I'll post any new stuff as it becomes known.

Hastin

« Reply #1565 on: February 04, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »
Bob,

I can't imagine there will be much this year from Toy Fair. No big new GSes. I assume we'll see the Pressman refresh we see every year, and maybe some more stuff from Endless.

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop!

-Hastin
-Hastin :)

catnap1972

« Reply #1566 on: February 13, 2011, 09:02:51 AM »
Don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but Amazon's preorder page for $1,000,000 Pyramid (Wii) is up now.  Still showing only the stills we've already seen I think.

$1,000,000 Pyramid @ Amazon for Wii

tvwxman

« Reply #1567 on: February 17, 2011, 07:22:36 AM »
Back from the annual trip into the city for the Toy Fair (and likely the last, since I'm not in TV anymore....and, well, it's just not as exciting as it used to be...)...

Bob was right - it's dry in there. Not much new game show content.

Did see that Cardinal Games got the rights to "Million Dollar Money Drop", but it's....flimsy, nothing at all like the contraption the UK version has. Place $20000 cards on one of four choices, and reveal the correct answer. Yippee.

There is an Invisible Ink (remember those books?) version of "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?"....I can't imagine kids going nuts for that though.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Bob Zager

« Reply #1568 on: February 17, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »

Did see that Cardinal Games got the rights to "Million Dollar Money Drop", but it's....flimsy, nothing at all like the contraption the UK version has. Place $20000 cards on one of four choices, and reveal the correct answer. Yippee.

There is an Invisible Ink (remember those books?) version of "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?"....I can't imagine kids going nuts for that though.

Those books have been out for a little while.  I'd seen them at a TRU Express store over the Xmas shopping season!

I'm glad to hear about MDMD, and I'm not surprised how you describe it.  Cardinal has tended to make their game show games games rather small, and less expensive in the last few years.  Was it in a case similar to the DOND/1vs100/AYSTA5G or just a simple cardboard box?

ATTENTION:  TRAVIS (aka "UnclePlinko") Any progress on securing your proposed "40th Anniversary TPIR" box game?

And now...a follow-up:

A recent post on Endless Games' Facebook mentioned "no new game shows," this year, however a highly reliable source mentioned in a Toy Fair summary report, that a 50th Anniversary Edition of "Password" is coming out this year.  Supposedly, it will be packaged in a golden colored box, and feature photos of Allen Ludden and Betty White on it!  We'll have to wait and see!

On the subject of "anniversary editions" I was a little surprised that neither EG, nor any other game company, released a 50th Annivesary "Concentration."
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:07:36 AM by Bob Zager »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1569 on: February 18, 2011, 12:04:24 PM »
You Don't Know Jack is out for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3, and it's pretty awesome. If you've played the online game from the past two or three years, you know what to expect in gameplay: They've ditched the whole "Pick one of three categories" format from the olden days, and each game's categories are already set out for you in a specific order. Each question starts out at $2K in round one, and $4K in round 2- the cash prize for each question goes down (by hundreths of seconds) the longer it takes to answer- this means you'll end up scoring odd amounts of money all throughout the game. Dis or Dat pays off at $300 an answer plus a time bonus, and Jack Attack answers are $4K. There's 10 questions plus a Jack Attack in each game.

PROS
-Because the game comes prepackaged with 73 episodes, it means each game seems a little more polished. Only 5 episodes will be open at a time, so you kinda have to go in order, and it makes you play more to see what new gems Cookie has in each episode.
-Xbox Live play. Nice
-The bulk of ads you hear in the background noise during the opening were commercials from YDKJ: The Ride.
-I miss buzzing in, but having all 4 players play on every question means my friends don't have to sit and watch me dominate. (For local multiplayer, does everyone play on the Dis or Dat?)
-Cookie.
-11 questions is a good balance for those who miss picking a 7/21 question game.
-3 planned add-on packs (10 episodes each) at $5 a pop.
-Apparently, Big Button controller support.

MEH
-In each game, there's a predetermined "Wrong Answer of the Day" sponsored by some ridiculous company (the wrong answer always fits with the product). If you find it, you get double the full amount for the question (so $4K in round 1, $8K in round 2).
-Dis or Dat is the only surviving bonus round/game of the 7 or 8 they've had during the series (impossible question, 3 way, Bingo, etc).
-The Screw just pushes a player to answer within 5 seconds- there's no screen distortion like in the old days. I guess it gives the screwee a shot in hell, but that's why you use the screw in the first place- to take away that shot.

CONS
-Three of the pros above combine to make the only real con: because each game is canned and there's no more "question bank", players can easily memorize questions in the game. It makes it easier to get the Achievements, but it's still pretty cheap. I played an episode the other day, then went to play online and ended up with the same exact episode. There are only 73 episodes, yet there's already a player with a 143-0 win record. Because most episodes are locked upon startup, it's not even like the computer can try and figure out which open episodes each players has, and then match players up by unplayed episodes.
-The PC version is restricted to 2 players, no online play, and no expansion packs. If you can help it, get the console version.

Overall, though, it's a better party game than before, and it's something my friends have gladly played. They've done so many things right with this version that I already can't wait for the new Volume 2...unless they just keep adding new packs to this version, which I'll gladly accept, too. Mission accomplished, Jellyvision.

My Xbox Gamertag is Quizmaster87 if you want to experience a first hand beatdown. :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:10:53 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

WhammyPower

« Reply #1570 on: February 18, 2011, 12:32:19 PM »
-The PC version is restricted to 2 players, no online play, and no expansion packs. If you can help it, get the console version.
For the record, the Wii version does not support online multiplayer, but does support 4 players.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1571 on: February 18, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
They've ditched the whole "Pick one of three categories" format from the olden days

MEH
-The Screw just pushes a player to answer within 5 seconds- there's no screen distortion like in the old days. I guess it gives the screwee a shot in hell, but that's why you use the screw in the first place- to take away that shot.

Just a side comment...you're sort of mixing eras as far as what constitutes "the old days." In the first generation of games, the screw simply meant that player HAD to answer the question. They had the full 10 seconds from whatever choices were out there. The screw in Jack 4 "The Ride" was the one where you couldn't see anymore. "The Ride" was also the point where they got rid of choosing categories - so it's been out of the game for at least three titles now. Not choosing the topic doesn't bother me at all.

Personally, I think you're just asking for it to play a quiz game online. There's always going to be somebody who apparently get their jollies from winning time-and-again through rote memorization.

I did a whole review at my blog. In short, I found the Jack Attack way out of balance with the rest of the game. But the jokes & writing are as good as before, if not better. Hopefully a volume two irons some of this out.

-Jason
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 02:22:12 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1572 on: February 18, 2011, 02:47:14 PM »
There's always going to be somebody who apparently get their jollies from winning time-and-again through rote memorization.
That said, if there is an Achievement for winning online games (and I see there is at least one, though I commend them for understanding that couch play is the focus and keeping them to a minimum), they totally brought it on themselves.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1573 on: February 18, 2011, 02:55:50 PM »
There's always going to be somebody who apparently get their jollies from winning time-and-again through rote memorization.
That said, if there is an Achievement for winning online games (and I see there is at least one, though I commend them for understanding that couch play is the focus and keeping them to a minimum), they totally brought it on themselves.
But there is an achievement...or at least a prize.

pacdude

« Reply #1574 on: February 18, 2011, 06:48:10 PM »
(For local multiplayer, does everyone play on the Dis or Dat?)

It's an cool mechanic. One player is the designated Dis Or Dat'r. Everyone guesses, but if the player in the hot seat gets the question right, it defers to the player who buzzed in first. I assume if that player got it wrong, then it keeps going, like Merv Griffin's Crosswords.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:49:42 PM by pacdude »