Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Steines, Hamilton, Newton  (Read 7128 times)

tpirfan28

Steines, Hamilton, Newton
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:18:10 PM »
Link

Apparently the "Price" tryouts had expiring options last Friday.  The three in the topic (Steines, Hamilton, and Newton) had their options picked back up...so (apparently) those three are the final three to succeed Barker.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Go Todd.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

itiparanoid13

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »
If by "Go Todd" you mean "Go Todd, go as far away from the Price studios as you can", then yes, "Go Todd".  None are exactly making me overjoyed, but I suppose Steines could do well.  He doesn't make me want to claw my eyes out at least.  I really don't know about Hamilton, positively or negatively, so I'm staying clear of him for a bit.

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 12:45:15 PM »
YES! Todd's still in the running.

I've seen the live show several times, and knowing his personality, hosting style and just listening to contestants, Todd is the best bar none. He represents the first in the new generation of hosts, and I would be so excited to see him get the job. (Now if only the new generation would be allowed to grow with more shows... but that's another story.)

The others, I'm not so sure about. Hamilton, I could see it working well, cuz he knows how to have fun, especially after Dancing. But the age thing bothers me. And Steines... I'm not sure. I'm just so scared of his being another Billy Bush debacle. Granted, Billy was saddled with the worst incarnation of Deal known to man, but even then, I didn't feel completely inspired.

The one thing I'm surprised in throughout this whole process is that Marc Summers wasn't considered for an audition. He was excellent in the live show, even a better conversationalist than Todd. He was easily my #2 choice. Ah well.

So bottom line, my vote remains with Todd.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

J.R.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 03:18:24 PM »
I'm supporting Steines myself, since he's from my state of Iowa! :-)
-Joe Raygor

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'150280\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 11:18 AM\']
Thoughts?  Opinions?  Go Todd.
[/quote]
YES! Todd's still in the running.
Any particular reason you guys are rooting so hard for Todd?  My opinion is he would be the worst of the three mentioned, and I don't even know who this Steines guy is.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Mike Tennant

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 04:08:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'150288\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 03:52 PM\']
Any particular reason you guys are rooting so hard for Todd?
[/quote]
I think Brian explained his rooting pretty well:  He's seen Todd do the live show and was impressed.  That seems a reasonable enough explanation to me.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 04:18:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'150288\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 02:52 PM\']
I don't even know who this Steines guy is.
[/quote]
He's from ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tpirfan28

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 04:20:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'150288\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 03:52 PM\']
Any particular reason you guys are rooting so hard for Todd?  My opinion is he would be the worst of the three mentioned, and I don't even know who this Steines guy is.
[/quote]
Experience.  He has it...the other's don't.  And I think Hamilton is too old (quick turnover).

Kinda disappointed my personal choice of David Ruprecht wasn't picked to audition.

For some reason, I would have LOVED to see Dave Price's reaction to this news.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 04:21:34 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 04:45:07 PM »
I think they should go for George and Todd to co-host; George doing the one-bid and Todd the pricing games, then Todd can ease into both jobs after George has his fill of it.  This probably shouldn't be a consideration but, how tall is Todd?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 04:52:17 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'150287\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 02:18 PM\']
[/quote]
I didn't know Steines is a fellow Iowa native.  I'll have to check him out more closely on "ET"--a show he might do well to leave if he gets the TPIR hosting job, since about half the content now is Anna Nicole/Dannilynn-based and most Hollywood veteran deaths are pretty much ignored, plus there's that occasional nonsense with the 'toon M&Ms, etc.  If Don Ho doesn't warrant a mention by these folks tonight, I hope they hear from a lot of PO'd Hawaii residents.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

J.R.

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 05:08:22 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'150297\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 03:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'150287\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 02:18 PM\']
[/quote]
I didn't know Steines is a fellow Iowa native.
[/quote]

Here's the proof, he's from Dubuque!:

http://www.etonline.com/about/bio/47532/index.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:09:37 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

DrBear

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 05:12:04 PM »
Oh, he's from DUBUQUE! That changes everything...

(remembering the first time I went through Dubuque on U.S. 20 and driving under a pedestrian bridge with the city's slogan at the time: "DUBUQUE: A PLACE TO LIVE.")

Talk about low expectations.

(wouldn't mind Newton if he's the Hollywood Showdown Newton, not the W!: TANPYL newton.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 05:12:33 PM by DrBear »
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

mcsittel

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 05:37:08 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'150300\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 04:12 PM\']
Oh, he's from DUBUQUE! That changes everything...

(remembering the first time I went through Dubuque on U.S. 20 and driving under a pedestrian bridge with the city's slogan at the time: "DUBUQUE: A PLACE TO LIVE.")
[/quote]

My former boss used to say IOWA stood for Idiots Out Wandering Around.  And he lived there.  Hmmm...

I'd definitely like to see Todd Newton get the job.  He always seemed to have excellent rapport with the contestants on Powerball Instant Millionaire, rooting them on and what not.  If you look at George Hamilton long enough he looks more than a little like Bob Barker.  As for Mr. Steines, I recognize him but rarely watch ET.

Matt
Nebraska: the Good Life!

Jumpondees

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 07:15:40 PM »
If I had my pick of these three, I would have to say Todd would be my favorite.  Only because he's been around the genre for the last 5 or so years, and from first hand accounts from people here who've seen him in action as audience memebers, to colleagues such as Randy West who've on numerous occasions in this forum gave Todd a glowing review...it shows me that Todd has the respect for the past and the drive for the future that could make him a revered emcee many years from now.  All George Hamilton has going for him is his endless tan and a lifetime supply of Ritz Chips, and for Mark Steines...who the hell is he again?

As far as the Barker Replacement Sweepstakes goes:

You know...I really don't mean to be sour, but I really could give a s*** who succeeds Bob anymore.

I've been watching this whole thing unfold for how many years now between here and "the board that shall not be named" , and I've come to this simple conclusion....

For those of us fans who are "Old School" emcee lovers, no matter who CBS/Fremantle picks, we're still going to whine, bitch, and complain about who would have been better suited for the job and how TPIR is going to be a funeral waiting to happen.

For those of us fans who are "New School" emcee groupees, who have only limited knowledge about the "golden era" of game shows, and outside of Bob have no idea of who Kennedy, Narz, Lange, Martindale, and a host of others are, but may have grew up on the likes of Marc Summers and J.D. Roth.  We'll always remember Bob, and hope that the newer, younger host can in time grow into his position and succeed as well as Bob has for the past 35 years on the show.

Bottom line here is that we are ALL still going to watch because TPIR is not really about the host anymore, it's about the games that are played, and the people that play them.  I've watched the show over the last 20+ years go from a pretty much Geritol and Centrum Stresstabs geared audience to an audience comprised of people of all ages, races, religions, etc.  These people today all come together in hopes of a thrill, a dream, a memory, and so on.  No matter who walks out of those big doors come September, we will all still be watching.

I am now done with the 20 Mule Team Borax soap box now....I'll leave it here on the side in case someone wants to launder their Grrranimals.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 07:19:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'150309\' date=\'Apr 16 2007, 06:15 PM\']
Bottom line here is that we are ALL still going to watch because TPIR is not really about the host anymore, it's about the games that are played, and the people that play them.
[/quote]
And you would be wrong.  I don't watch TPiR much anymore, and don't plan to in the future...maybe when they pick some decent contestants will it be worth watching again.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 07:36:13 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13