Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jack Narz on Shokus Internet Radio this Wednesday  (Read 6002 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jack Narz on Shokus Internet Radio this Wednesday
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 08:53:28 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'149481\' date=\'Apr 4 2007, 05:48 PM\']
I think it's safe to say that not many people outside of this board will appreciate the following statement:

What a cool thing it was to talk to Jack Narz!
[/quote]
Praise Gawd, someone offset Jamey Greek.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 09:01:20 PM »
Definitely a great interview.

I made the same mistake Stu did, though -- I mistook Connecti-Matt for Michi-Matt.  But what's the difference, anyway? ;-)

Don Howard

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 09:09:52 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'149484\' date=\'Apr 4 2007, 09:01 PM\']
I made the same mistake Stu did, though -- I mistook Connecti-Matt for Michi-Matt.[/quote]
You're not alone. I lost the wager I had with my wife. I bet her that Matt O. would be among the first three calls (C-Matt was 2nd) and Bev estimated he'd be on closer to the end. I think it was 8:37 Eastern time when M-Matt made it through.
By the way, Jack wasn't the only one with tears in his eyes during that show. Bev offered me a Kleenex twice.
That show flew by! Shokus Radio is an around-the-clock treasure trove.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:12:32 PM by Don Howard »

TimK2003

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 09:13:22 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'149481\' date=\'Apr 4 2007, 08:48 PM\']
I think it's safe to say that not many people outside of this board will appreciate the following statement:

What a cool thing it was to talk to Jack Narz!

(and for me, Concentration will ALWAYS be Jack Narz, not Hugh, not Alex. Jack.)
[/quote]

IIRC, the Cleveland market only aired Concentration maybe only once or twice a week, and even then it was not much more than one season.  

Gotta remember that in the mid 70's, there was a plethora of great syndicated game shows, and (if you were lucky) only 4 or 5 channels to cram them all into.  I think most TV markets at the time denied their viewing audience at least one strong show.  In Cleveland, it was Concentration.

Listening to Jack Narz tonight was fun, and I think (by Stu's color commentary) he was touched by all of us game show fans who were listening and calling in.  I had wanted to call in and ask a few questions but wasn't able to .However, way back in 1999 at GSC9, we spent close to an hour talking with him on the phone in what could have been the first homage-paying event to him, so I can say I have had the pleasure to have spoken to him as well.

Now I need to pony up the money for a weekend in Beautiful Downtown Burbank in 3 months!! ;-)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 10:02:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'149485\' date=\'Apr 4 2007, 09:09 PM\']I lost the wager I had with my wife. I bet her that Matt O. would be among the first three calls (C-Matt was 2nd) and Bev estimated he'd be on closer to the end. I think it was 8:37 Eastern time when M-Matt made it through.[/quote]
There was over/under action on my phone call?  Excellent!

Here's a couple sentences I never though I'd write together:
We made Jack Narz cry.  We should be proud.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 10:11:56 PM »
Could someone maybe offer up a quick recap for those of us who weren't able to listen live and might not have time to listen to a rebroadcast or podcast or whatever?

tomobrien

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 11:37:49 PM »
I just got off the phone with Stu, who's just come back from taking Jack home after the show.  Jack is on Cloud Nine right now!  He truly thought no one would remember him, so he was absolutely blown away by the calls that came in.  He had a blast doing the show and, as you may have heard, even got a little choked up at times.  (For those who sent e-mail comments, Stu's going to pass them on to Jack.)  

Thanks to all of you who called in and listened...you really made Jack feel good, and made him feel that he's not forgotten.

(If you didn't catch the show today, it'll be rerun daily through next Tuesday at 7 p.m. Eastern/4 p.m. Pacific, with the exception of Sunday, when it's on at 1 p.m. Eastern/10 a.m. Pacific.)

clemon79

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 12:07:57 AM »
Apropos of nothing, really, but:

Can anyone here get to the front page of shokus.com via Firefox and NOT have their browser crash on them? It crashes on me as soon as I try to scroll the page, but it works in IE, so I'm wondering if it's the page code that's funky or if it has something to do with Windows Vista.

J.R.

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 12:18:50 AM »
I've got this huge grin on my face now. It's such a nice feeling when you can make someone happy, especially a legend that is Jack Narz.

Even I got a little emotional listening to all the support everyone gave to Mr. Narz! Really blew my expectations away!

Great show!

EDIT: With you permission, Matt. I'd love to use your "We made Jack Narz cry. We should be proud." line as my signature!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 12:21:38 AM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

J.R.

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 12:38:53 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'149495\' date=\'Apr 4 2007, 11:07 PM\']
Apropos of nothing, really, but:

Can anyone here get to the front page of shokus.com via Firefox and NOT have their browser crash on them?
[/quote]

I went to Shokus via Firefox and it worked fine for me, but I'm still using Windows XP.

Regarding your previous question: It was pretty much Stu attempting to tell us all about Jack Narz's biography, from his days as a boy being fascinated by the radio to Now You See It. I say "attempting" because the show was frequently interrupted by listener phone calls giving praise and questions to Narz!

It was really great and I hope you get a chance to listen to it very soon. :-)
-Joe Raygor

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 02:07:34 AM »
It's times like this when I wish I was older than 22, dammit.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 02:26:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'149500\' date=\'Apr 5 2007, 01:07 AM\']
It's times like this when I wish I was older than 22, dammit.
[/quote]

You and me both, sir.
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 02:44:04 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'149498\' date=\'Apr 4 2007, 09:38 PM\']
I went to Shokus via Firefox and it worked fine for me, but I'm still using Windows XP.
[/quote]
'Kay. I suspect it may be Vista-related. I may try clearing cache in the morning and see if that helps at all.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 02:44:14 AM by clemon79 »

tvwxman

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 07:21:48 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'149484\' date=\'Apr 4 2007, 09:01 PM\']
I made the same mistake Stu did, though -- I mistook Connecti-Matt for Michi-Matt.  But what's the difference, anyway? ;-)
[/quote]
Let's start at the top and work down.

1. Full head of hair. Wonderful, lustrious, smooth as silk hair.

:)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Ian Wallis

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 09:06:45 AM »
I've always known that there is a generation among our membership that only knows Trebek's version, but it surprises me that there's a window where people think of Narz first.

Add me to the list of people who think of Concentration as Narz's first.  Although I was born in the '60s, I don't believe I ever saw the NBC version growing up...looking back, I can't figure out why.  Anyway, I remember watching Narz's version almost from the beginning and thought it was a great version (too bad there's only one full episode floating around; I'd like to see more!)  To me, Trebek's version just wasn't the same.

Although I was unable to listen to the show, I had the pleasure of meeting Jack at the GSC last year.  He seemed like a very nice man, and even told me he has a grandson named Ian!  Certainly one of the good memories I took away from last year's trip.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!