Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN acquires rights to Karn Family Feud  (Read 7136 times)

cmjb13

GSN acquires rights to Karn Family Feud
« on: January 28, 2007, 07:55:44 AM »
Per tvgameshows.net:

GSN will preview the shows in its two-hour classic block March 3 from 8-10 p.m. (ET/PT). Back-to-back episodes move into their regular time slot of 11 p.m. to 12 midnight Tuesdays through Fridays beginning March 6, replacing Match Game.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 07:58:20 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tyshaun1

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 09:12:05 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'144754\' date=\'Jan 28 2007, 07:55 AM\']
Per tvgameshows.net:

GSN will preview the shows in its two-hour classic block March 3 from 8-10 p.m. (ET/PT). Back-to-back episodes move into their regular time slot of 11 p.m. to 12 midnight Tuesdays through Fridays beginning March 6, replacing Match Game.

Thoughts?
[/quote]

Personal feelings aside (AKA Bleccch...), I think is a good move by GSN, considering I often hear commenting about replacing the better "Al" on Home Improvement (yes I've heard several people say that Richard Karn was better) with "J. Peterman" on Seinfeld. Plus they're putting it on at a time slot I generally don't watch anyway, no skin off my hide.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 09:13:10 AM by tyshaun1 »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:26:37 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'144754\' date=\'Jan 28 2007, 07:55 AM\']
Thoughts?
[/quote]

No, it doesn't sound to me like there were many of those involved here.

tvwxman

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 09:42:46 AM »
Just when I think GSN is 'getting it', they pull as dumbass move like this.

There is absolutely nothing to gain from this, unless they're going to be getting in bed with Freemantle on a more regular basis, in which case they should be picking up Ohurley's TTTT as well. Does this lay the groundwork for a "Temptation" second run in the future? Didn't they do that with Squares a few years ago?

And to the poster above who suggests there are people who believe Karn is better than OHurley as a quiz host, you have GOT to be kidding me. Karn goes down as one of the worst game show hosts ever. I'd rank him below Benirschke, Wayne, and Swann.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 09:43:21 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tyshaun1

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 09:50:49 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'144757\' date=\'Jan 28 2007, 09:42 AM\']
And to the poster above who suggests there are people who believe Karn is better than OHurley as a quiz host, you have GOT to be kidding me. Karn goes down as one of the worst game show hosts ever. I'd rank him below Benirschke, Wayne, and Swann.
[/quote]

Seriously Matt, I've had the show on in my store a time or two since O'Hurley took over, and the first things I hear people say are "Where's Al? He was better that that guy is......." Don't get me wrong, I was as dumbfounded as you are, and a couple "you'll take first blood!" and "20-thousand-DOLLARS!" sets 'em straight, but that's what people have said (to me, anyway).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 09:51:07 AM by tyshaun1 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 09:57:02 AM »
Isn't it interesting that they say "Where's Al?"  He couldn't get past that role, I guess.  Of course, if they said "Where's Richard?" you'd probably mistakenly assume they meant Dawson.  I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it, as GSN's prime time shows don't appeal to me, but if it gets younger numbers for GSN, bully for them.

Younger numbers=more advertisers=more money to buy library product.  Wait, maybe that equation doesn't hold water, but oh well.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 10:01:43 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Pyramids

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »
The same source says its also going on weekend afternoons. I wonder if this means its replacing the Dawson / Combs hour on the two days I get to watch it. I feel bad for all of you 'Match Game' fans who will see it leave the nightly schedule.

O'Hurley 'Truth' or 'Feud 94' would have been a much better acquisition than this in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 10:14:50 AM by PaulD »

tpirfan28

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 10:56:44 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'144757\' date=\'Jan 28 2007, 09:42 AM\']
Just when I think GSN is 'getting it', they pull as dumbass move like this.

There is absolutely nothing to gain from this, unless they're going to be getting in bed with Freemantle on a more regular basis, in which case they should be picking up Ohurley's TTTT as well. Does this lay the groundwork for a "Temptation" second run in the future? Didn't they do that with Squares a few years ago?
[/quote]
As much as I want to believe this is a dumbass move on the part of GSN...I'm compelled to think not.  There are a lot of moves they could have done that would be a lot worse. (Survivor anyone?  Fear Factor?  Heck...any reality stuff?)  At least they pulled a game show.

/could have pulled "Rich List" and "Show Me the Money" and I wouldn't complain too loudly
//get "Chair" or "Chamber" and I'm done
///and I don't even have GSN
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 11:00:06 AM »
I don't get it.

I think more people watch the 11p-12a Match Game(s) than, say, the 9a showing.

Personally, it's appointment viewing for me.

Why would there be reason to replace it with a version of Family Feud that's rather infamous for being inferior to the other versions?

Is there a demand to end the night with 2 episodes of Karn's Feud?

Why wouldn't they air this during the day?
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

gsfan85

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 11:15:33 AM »
Wait a second...the night it says GSN is previewing the episodes from 8-10PM...wasn't that supposed to be the night they aired 4 Trebek Double Dare episodes?

Adam

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 11:16:03 AM »
I would venture a guess that GSN (and maybe cable operators) would like a prime time sked that is somewhat contemporary (produced within the last decade or so.)  If it doesn't work, they can just put it on where "Amazing Race" is now.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PasswordPluster

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 11:17:51 AM »
What's even worse is the classic block that this version of Feud is occupying originally had Alex Trebek's Double Dare scheduled for 2 hours. I guess once again the viewers get cheated from a better game show to a recent show that easily could've been scheduled the week after the Trebek block.

In the case of that and in this viewers eyes, even though I've spoken positively about this version of FF, for GSN this is not a good change

The Pyramids

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 11:33:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'144764\' date=\'Jan 28 2007, 12:16 PM\']
I would venture a guess that GSN (and maybe cable operators) would like a prime time sked that is somewhat contemporary (produced within the last decade or so.)  If it doesn't work, they can just put it on where "Amazing Race" is now.
[/quote]

Thats what I noticed too. In fact w/ this the line-up will be made up of shows from the last seven years from 6PM through midnight.

While I'm here I will say one nice thing abut Richard was how he was capable of creating a suspenseful final triple round from year two on. Unfortunately if they start w/ the '02 season we just revisit the awful 'one-strike-whoever has the most points at the end of the round wins' fourth round again.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:56:27 AM by PaulD »

mbc793

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 01:26:32 PM »
I'm scratching my head in total confusion, I still don't get it. By the looks of things however, I will never get GSN's move.  I don't know if it's confirmed by GSN or not if it is, I do not know what to say. I don't know everything; I read the sources and try and understand it. I'm going to shut up and take the ridicule.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 01:51:53 PM by mbc793 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 01:35:51 PM »
[quote name=\'mbc793\' post=\'144771\' date=\'Jan 28 2007, 10:26 AM\']
Well that may be the case, they probably did acquire all four seasons of Karn's Family Feud.
[/quote]
How do you know this?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe