Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wed. "Identity" Gets Better Numbers  (Read 3322 times)

uncamark

Wed. "Identity" Gets Better Numbers
« on: December 21, 2006, 05:27:04 PM »
Night 3 of "Identity" won its time slot--but with a *single digit* share.  It was also beat in its first half by a first run "King of Queens."  It still got a reluctant "winner" kudo from the vacationing-but-posting Marc Berman (on his board):

http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/33110842

The only other first-run competition in the time slot was the first half of a condensed version of the British version of "America's Next Top Model" on The CW.

Barring any surprises, at this point the only way I could see "Identity" returning is with a "DOND" lead-in--but that's not going to happen on Monday, "DOND"'s strongest night, because of "Heroes."  It looks grim--but I'm not that broken-hearted about it.

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »
But again, like Tues, it was a vast improvement over what NBC has been airing on Wed at 8.  It is roughly the same as what 1 vs 100 got the last two weeks.  It is also roughly the same as what Las Vegas or Medium have doen this year.

So I am the other way I bet NBC picks up more and I can see  it being put in place of Dateline on wither Tues or Sunday.

Tony

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 10:18:39 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'141195\' date=\'Dec 21 2006, 06:27 PM\']
Night 3 of "Identity" won its time slot--but with a *single digit* share.  It was also beat in its first half by a first run "King of Queens."  It still got a reluctant "winner" kudo from the vacationing-but-posting Marc Berman (on his board):

http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310451/m/33110842
[/quote]
I'm only miffed that it rated higher than Friday Night Lights on Tuesday.  (I suppose what I watch doesn't matter to NBC all that much;))

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 10:21:50 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'141195\' date=\'Dec 21 2006, 05:27 PM\']
Barring any surprises, at this point the only way I could see "Identity" returning is with a "DOND" lead-in--but that's not going to happen on Monday, "DOND"'s strongest night, because of "Heroes."  It looks grim--but I'm not that broken-hearted about it.
[/quote]

Previous reports had said that "Heroes" would be running straight through, without repeats, when it returns in January. If that were the case, it would wrap in mid-April.

I can't see the logic in handing May's 18-49s over to FOX's "24", but if NBC was indeed planning that strategy, then there's a Monday slot after all.
@lambertman

colonial

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 12:28:39 PM »
Night 4 of *Identity* saw it finished in a tie with everyone's favorite red-nosed reindeer from 8-9p, although overall ratings showed another uptick from Tuesday and Wednesday...

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap-ratin...tings-headlines

With all the talk of whether *Identity* will returning this spring...what about NBC holding off the show until the summer?  As I mentioned in another forum, the program works better in a weekly form, and waiting until summer could give NBC the time to work out the tweaks and present a better product.

James

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 02:09:36 PM »
It actually beat last Thursdays 1 hour Office by more than a million viewers, although trailed in 18-49.

So over 4 nights 3 of them it drew more viewers than NBC's regular shows.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 02:19:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'141282\' date=\'Dec 22 2006, 02:09 PM\']
It actually beat last Thursdays 1 hour Office by more than a million viewers, although trailed in 18-49.

[/quote]

Considering that this week's Office was a repeat of last week's Office, that might not be saying much.

Did anyone notice last night that during the BenGay spot in the first commercial break they revealed the correct choice for the text message game? They did the same thing for Rogaine back on Tuesday and I'd assume for Listerine Agent Cool Blue on Monday.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 03:39:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'141284\' date=\'Dec 22 2006, 02:19 PM\']Did anyone notice last night that during the BenGay spot in the first commercial break they revealed the correct choice for the text message game? They did the same thing for Rogaine back on Tuesday and I'd assume for Listerine Agent Cool Blue on Monday.[/quote]
The goal of the text message game is to get as many people to call as they possibly can.  If they're doing something that makes a sharp-eyed viewer think he saw the winner, and it gets that person to place a call he might not otherwise have placed, then they get more calls and more money in their pockets.  They're giving away $10,000 regardless of how many people have the right answer.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

weaklink75

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 05:20:17 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'141272\' date=\'Dec 22 2006, 12:28 PM\']
Night 4 of *Identity* saw it finished in a tie with everyone's favorite red-nosed reindeer from 8-9p, although overall ratings showed another uptick from Tuesday and Wednesday...

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap-ratin...tings-headlines

With all the talk of whether *Identity* will returning this spring...what about NBC holding off the show until the summer?  As I mentioned in another forum, the program works better in a weekly form, and waiting until summer could give NBC the time to work out the tweaks and present a better product.

James
[/quote]

That might actually be a good idea...and Endemol is probably going to tell NBC again to not schedule DoND during the summer, so why not?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 05:35:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'141284\' date=\'Dec 22 2006, 11:19 AM\']
Did anyone notice last night that during the BenGay spot in the first commercial break they revealed the correct choice for the text message game? They did the same thing for Rogaine back on Tuesday and I'd assume for Listerine Agent Cool Blue on Monday.
[/quote]
That's the entire point of the promotion, and I think they even say as much when they do the first blurb for it. The idea is to get you to watch the ads looking for the one that tells you who the right one is.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chuck Sutton

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'141284\' date=\'Dec 22 2006, 02:19 PM\']
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'141282\' date=\'Dec 22 2006, 02:09 PM\']

[/quote]

Considering that this week's Office was a repeat of last week's Office, that might not be saying much.

[/quote]

I guess I was not clear.  Last Thursday(12/14) at 8 The Office had 8.4 million viewers.  This Thursday at 8 (12/21)  Identity got 9.6 million viewers,

That Don Guy

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 12:41:56 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'141304\' date=\'Dec 22 2006, 05:35 PM\'][quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'141284\' date=\'Dec 22 2006, 11:19 AM\']Did anyone notice last night that during the BenGay spot in the first commercial break they revealed the correct choice for the text message game? They did the same thing for Rogaine back on Tuesday and I'd assume for Listerine Agent Cool Blue on Monday.
[/quote]That's the entire point of the promotion, and I think they even say as much when they do the first blurb for it. The idea is to get you to watch the ads looking for the one that tells you who the right one is.
[/quote]I don't know about that, but on Friday, in the small print they show during the commercial, it said that the correct answer would be revealed sometime within the first 20 minutes of the show.

(Side note: I didn't recognize Bruce Jenner at first either, and might not have at all had Penn not given the clue that he was reasonably famous with his "I'll eat my hat" (I think that's what he said) comment after the ventriloquist guess.  On the other hand, I did recognize Stan Lee (be honest - who didn't) and Jerry Mathers.  I can only guess what would have happened had the current Miss USA been stripped of her title before the episode aired...)

-- Don

tpirfan28

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 09:44:43 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'141304\' date=\'Dec 22 2006, 05:35 PM\']
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'141284\' date=\'Dec 22 2006, 11:19 AM\']
[/quote]
That's the entire point of the promotion, and I think they even say as much when they do the first blurb for it. The idea is to get you to watch the ads looking for the one that tells you who the right one is.
[/quote]
Ok...I know I don't know much about the rules of advertising on television, much less about selling spots themselves, but wouldn't this make a win-win situation for both NBC and the advertisers?

Say NBC keeps up with putting the "real Identity" in the commerical with the sponsor's product, which, IMHO, is a really good idea.  Now, couldn't NBC, if they scheduled THAT commerical at the last possible moment of the final commercial break (before the end of the game, of course).  Then, couldn't NBC use that as a selling point for ad space?  They could say "Hey, we're running a game in conjunction with a certain advertiser.  The right answer is in one of the commericals...so the people most likely will watch all commercials up to that, INCLUDING yours looking for that answer."

Could that work, or am I reading way too much into this?

And to steer this back-on-topic-title-topic...I have a feeling this show will reappear in the Febuary sweeps, May sweeps (both as weeklong stunts), then be the summer replacement for DoND.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 10:00:50 AM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

The Pyramids

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 10:13:47 AM »
I saw Monday and last night's show with Eve Plumb and Jerry Mathers respectively. What other celebrities were on during the week?

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 10:32:51 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'141326\' date=\'Dec 23 2006, 10:13 AM\']
I saw Monday and last night's show with Eve Plumb and Jerry Mathers respectively. What other celebrities were on during the week?
[/quote]

Wikigeeks make list.
@lambertman