Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wanna Bet?  (Read 1425 times)

Brig Bother

Wanna Bet?
« on: December 17, 2006, 11:25:57 AM »
Hello there.

As you know, The Phil Gurin company have bought the rights to Wetten Dass...? and hope to make a domestic version, hopefully a bit better than the last time you tried it.

But if you don't know what happens in an average episode of Wetten Dass...? then here's a look at a random episode.

http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/weekendspecials/wettendass.htm

The bets are, in the most part, faintly astonishing.

uncamark

Wanna Bet?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 02:39:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'140820\' date=\'Dec 17 2006, 10:25 AM\']
Hello there.

As you know, The Phil Gurin company have bought the rights to Wetten Dass...? and hope to make a domestic version, hopefully a bit better than the last time you tried it.

But if you don't know what happens in an average episode of Wetten Dass...? then here's a look at a random episode.

http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/weekendspecials/wettendass.htm

The bets are, in the most part, faintly astonishing.
[/quote]

And something tells me that the U.S. will screw this show up.  The variety element, which we don't have any idea how to do anymore, will get dumped, it won't be live, it won't travel around, the host will be incompetent--and most importantly, doing it as a weekly series will rob what seems to be the show's strongest point--the fact that it's on every so often and is therefore an event.  It just seems like a show that plays better as an event than as a weekly series (of course, the UK version was weekly, but like most of your shows, I assume that it was only on for a limited part of the year).

If we do it--and I thought I saw ABC's name attached to it--there's only one host to be considered--Tom Bergeron.  It's live television, it's a loose format with comedy elements for him to goof around in, it involves all kinds of people, he would be extremely good at it.  But as I said, I'm afraid this show will get screwed up here anyway.

TimK2003

Wanna Bet?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 02:51:01 PM »
Judging by the pictures, it looks like a cross between "Sabado Gigante" and "Banzai".

And though I still prefer Gurin games over Endamnol games, I can easily see Gurin make the metric-to-US conversion of the show look like "Big Deal" meets "The Pop n Rocker Game"
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 02:52:18 PM by TimK2003 »

Jimmy Owen

Wanna Bet?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:56:34 PM »
Check Variety.com this week for a story on primetime  gameshows.  Endemol is looking to get out of gameshows and is looking for The Next Big Thing.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wanna Bet?
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 06:07:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'140897\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 11:56 AM\']
Endemol is looking to get out of gameshows
[/quote]
Thank God for small miracles.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brig Bother

Wanna Bet?
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 07:35:50 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'140893\' date=\'Dec 18 2006, 07:39 PM\']
(of course, the UK version was weekly, but like most of your shows, I assume that it was only on for a limited part of the year).
[/quote]

Mmm, You Bet was weekly and wasn't live, and normally ran for 13 episodes over the autumn for about ten years. It basically used the original German format of having all the celebs predict on each game, but the studio audience voted to determine the points value rather then the people at home, and the winning celeb gave their money to charity rather than the challenger they were backing.

It was still very popular, easily drawing over 10m in its heyday and is easily the most unusual show Bruce Forsyth hosted I think before leaving after two series and Matthew Kelly successfully taking over.

Brig Bother

Wanna Bet?
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 07:38:12 PM »
And again it's worth pointing out if you've not seen it already: you've had a go before.

http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/weekendspecials/wannabet.htm