Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Todd Newton's Radio Career Stymied?  (Read 2729 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Todd Newton's Radio Career Stymied?
« on: September 10, 2003, 01:41:21 PM »
There are rumblings that Blink 102.7 (a.k.a WNEW-FM) in New York will be undergoing a major format change (lot of speculation it will go to a \"lite\" format) and most if not all of the airstaff will be let go.  WHAMMY! host Todd Newton has been doing afternoons (albeit not on site--I believe he was remoting it from L.A.).  Nothing's official yet but I'm sure our NY friends can shed some more light (or \"lite\") on the matter.

Doug--soon to celebrate 100 posts
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

cmjb13

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 03:36:01 PM »
I can't confirm, but if it's true good riddance to Blink.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jim

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 10:27:35 PM »
The Blink concept is silly and the hosts are way too sugary sweet.  IF you like people who admire J-Lo for her business skill (not that of her managers and attorneys, but her own little brain) and the positive role model she represents for all sisterhood, Blink is your station.  Otherwise, you realize it is puke.  The only thing worse would be a lite music format like WALK 99.  Give me Starr & Buckwild, Goombah Johnnie, Bob Grant or Mark LeVine any day.

Robair

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 12:56:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Jim\' date=\'Sep 10 2003, 09:27 PM\'] The Blink concept is silly and the hosts are way too sugary sweet.  IF you like people who admire J-Lo for her business skill (not that of her managers and attorneys, but her own little brain) and the positive role model she represents for all sisterhood, Blink is your station.  Otherwise, you realize it is puke.  The only thing worse would be a lite music format like WALK 99.  Give me Starr & Buckwild, Goombah Johnnie, Bob Grant or Mark LeVine any day. [/quote]
 Yesterday, Blink 102.7 program director Steve Kingston (who used to work at K-Rock) resigned, so I would expect them to go to a new format of some type, maybe not as homogenized as the old one was...too Hollywood for my tastes, and it sounded too \"produced\". The best radio happens live on the spot, and that's what they should go for.

Plus, there's a guy who's not working in radio right now named Dan Ingram who might be interested...

The funniest aspect of all is their new liner...\"Blink or you'll miss it.\"
--Robair

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 02:16:54 PM »
In checking the New York Radio Guide web site (the station's own web site doesn't seem to have a schedule), the evening slot where Newton supposedly moved to is shown as \"TBA.\"  Listed in Newton's old afternoon drive slot was Tim Virgin, who used to work in Chicago at a couple of stations, and Alison Stewart, the former MTV VJ.  I wonder if Todd dropped the radio gig due to a too-full TV plate.

Radiofreewill

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2003, 07:54:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 11:56 AM\'] Plus, there's a guy who's not working in radio right now named Dan Ingram who might be interested... [/quote]
 Kinda off topic, but do you really think Dan Ingram would want to go back to Infinity after the way WCBS-FM treated him (especially if the story Ingram told the NAB convention is true)?

Kind of a shame for Todd, though. I thought the Blink format was shaky at best, but I figured it would last at least one more ratings period before it was tied to a tree and taken care of \"Ol' Yeller\" style.

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 01:45:06 PM »
Kinda off topic, but do you really think Dan Ingram would want to go back to Infinity after the way WCBS-FM treated him (especially if the story Ingram told the NAB convention is true)?

That's news to me...what did they do to Ingram?

As for Blink, I kinda liked it, but it suffered from split personality...it couldn't decide whether it wanted to be Z-100 (top 40), Hot 97 (hip-hop/R&B), KTU (disco/techno/dance), or just a run-of-the-mill \"variety\" station.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

Radiofreewill

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 02:21:06 PM »
Several months back, he was asked by management to cut back to one show a week in order to make room for the returning Dan Daniel. Ingram didn't want to lose a show, and so he was let go.

UPDATE: AllAccess.com is reporting that 26 members of Blink's staff got pink slipped, including Todd Newton. The station will increase its music content, targeting 35-44 year old women; the entertainment reports will remain.

The new format launches today at 4pm EDT.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2003, 03:59:16 PM by Radiofreewill »

ChuckNet

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003, 05:29:16 PM »
Several months back, he was asked by management to cut back to one show a week in order to make room for the returning Dan Daniel. Ingram didn't want to lose a show, and so he was let go.

Figures...we get back one Dan, but lose another. :-(

The new format launches today at 4pm EDT.

I heard it today...they billed it as \"the station that plays more of the music women want\", or something to that effect.

ObGameShow: \"Dandy\" Dan Daniel was announcer for The Big Showdown, in addition to his 40+ yrs in NY radio.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")