Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More revival: "Child's Play"  (Read 4796 times)

thgames65

More revival: "Child's Play"
« on: October 11, 2006, 06:57:34 PM »
Freemantle reviving "Child's Play" according to this craigslist casting call for little tykes.

Tim H.

tpirfan28

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 07:23:07 PM »
What the.....

First, a possible revivial of Sale of the Century, now Child's Play?   This is getting too good to believe.  What's next, Match Game and The (correctly done) $100,000 Pyramid?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 07:38:35 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'134189\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 06:23 PM\']
What the.....

First, a possible revivial of Sale of the Century, now Child's Play?   This is getting too good to believe.  What's next, Match Game and The (correctly done) $100,000 Pyramid?
[/quote]

$otC might be comming back?! Where did you read that?

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Allstar87

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 07:55:07 PM »
[quote name=\'thgames65\' post=\'134188\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 06:57 PM\']
Freemantle reviving "Child's Play" according to this craigslist casting call for little tykes.
[/quote]

Neat! Can't wait to see it.

I wonder if GSN knew about this when they decided to put the old version on their schedule...

Johnissoevil

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 08:53:54 PM »
[quote name=\'thgames65\' post=\'134188\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 06:57 PM\']

Tim H.
[/quote]

It surprises me.  I would've thought Trivia Trap would be revived before this.  I'm not knocking Child's Play.  CBS wasn't impressed with how the show did in the early 80s, but Fremantle obviously was.  At least this time, they'll know to beware of the Whammy. ;-)
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 10:28:44 PM »
I'LL knock Child's Play. Loved Bill, and the kids were cute and funny, but it was missing . . . what do you call it? . . . oh, yeah, a game.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

tpirfan28

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 10:30:38 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'134191\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 07:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'134189\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 06:23 PM\']
What the.....

[/quote]

$otC might be comming back?! Where did you read that?

-Joe R.
[/quote]
It was on Craigslist a while ago, and I think Buzzer reported a possible revival attempt.  I can't find any mention of it.  Maybe if Alex is around he can confirm that it actually existed....
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

itiparanoid13

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 10:33:51 PM »
It existed, and when more information is able to be revealed, I will be glad to spill it.  But I do confirm that there was a posting on Craigslist that was similar to Temptation.  Is it?  Isn't it?  You be the judge.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 10:35:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'134204\' date=\'Oct 11 2006, 07:28 PM\']
I'LL knock Child's Play. Loved Bill, and the kids were cute and funny, but it was missing . . . what do you call it? . . . oh, yeah, a game.
[/quote]
I'll gently remind you that Deal Or No Deal is one of the most popular prime-time programs airing on NBC.

(Damning with faint praise, I know.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

itiparanoid13

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 11:08:04 PM »
So, does anyone want to put a wager on this being a GSN show?  I just find it a bit odd that this was announced and Child's Play is joining the GSN lineup for no reason at all just suddenly.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 04:01:37 AM »
From what I've heard, this was not a cheap show to produce as it was so production-intensive. Plus, it only ran for about a year on CBS daytime. The concept is OK but not inspired. Of all of the formats Fremantle owns, I can't imagine why they would choose this one for a revival. It would make much more sense to bring Blockbusters back -- it is cheaper and simpler to produce (= higher profit margin).

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 12:41:59 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'134230\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 03:01 AM\']
From what I've heard, this was not a cheap show to produce as it was so production-intensive. Plus, it only ran for about a year on CBS daytime. The concept is OK but not inspired. Of all of the formats Fremantle owns, I can't imagine why they would choose this one for a revival. It would make much more sense to bring Blockbusters back -- it is cheaper and simpler to produce (= higher profit margin).
[/quote]

It seems to me that the format has been licensed elsewhere around the world.  Whether to any great success, I don't know, but perhaps there is enough that Fremantle thinks that it could be tried again.  (And perhaps the comedic element is on its side.)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 01:00:12 PM »
Well, really, you're turning "Kids Say The Darndest Things" into a game show, right? That's the premise. And it's pretty much evergreen; there's always been a market for that sort of oh-that's-adorable entertainment, so I can totally see them trying to revive it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvmitch

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 01:13:47 PM »
As long as it's not anything like Small Talk, or whatever that Family Channel show was called that aired after Shopping Spree or Wait Till You Have Kids...
You should follow me on Twitter

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 01:28:22 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'134267\' date=\'Oct 12 2006, 01:13 PM\']
As long as it's not anything like Small Talk, or whatever that Family Channel show was called that aired after Shopping Spree or Wait Till You Have Kids...
[/quote]
It was Small Talk...made watching paint dry look compelling by comparison.

I also think it was the first game show to use its logo as a bug in the lower corner.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!