Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Reminder: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind on DVD  (Read 5708 times)

Timsterino

Reminder: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind on DVD
« on: September 09, 2003, 03:13:05 PM »
I am going to Best Buy later to pick it up. Just a reminder that it is being released today. Believe it or not,  I never saw the movie.

Tim :-)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 04:27:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Sep 9 2003, 12:13 PM\'] I am going to Best Buy later to pick it up. Just a reminder that it is being released today. Believe it or not,  I never saw the movie.
 [/quote]
 Today's a good release day. The second volume of the Family Guy boxed set is also out, as well as The Core (which may have come out last week, and was actually an enjoyable movie, even if it WAS Armageddon in the other direction.) Gotta hit BB after work myself.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 11:48:50 AM »
Today's a good release day. The second volume of the Family Guy boxed set is also out

...which will include the never-aired When You Wish Upon a Weinstein ep.

ObGameShow: Last night's FG ep (on CN's Adult Swim), Screwed the Pooch, featured references to Survivor and TPiR, which included a guest shot by Bob Barker.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

GS Warehouse

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 01:47:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 9 2003, 03:27 PM\'] ... The second volume of the Family Guy boxed set is also out ... [/quote]
 With tomorrow being the second anniversary of the terrorist attacks, I can't help but think of this: FG creator Seth McFarlane was to have been a passenger on one of those doomed flights, but he didn't get to the airport in time.  Lucky break.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 01:57:49 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 10 2003, 12:47 PM\'] With tomorrow being the second anniversary of the terrorist attacks, I can't help but think of this: FG creator Seth McFarlane was to have been a passenger on one of those doomed flights, but he didn't get to the airport in time.  Lucky break. [/quote]
 Does that have to do with some of the reasoning he stopped doing the show, or was it canceled?

Brandon Brooks

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 03:49:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Sep 10 2003, 12:57 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 10 2003, 12:47 PM\'] With tomorrow being the second anniversary of the terrorist attacks, I can't help but think of this: FG creator Seth McFarlane was to have been a passenger on one of those doomed flights, but he didn't get to the airport in time.  Lucky break. [/quote]
Does that have to do with some of the reasoning he stopped doing the show, or was it canceled?

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 It was cancelled by FOX (ratings). However, the fact that McFarlane was supposed to be on that 9/11 plane caused him to delete a bin Laden joke from one of the episodes (I THINK it's on the DVD).

ObGameShow: Family Guy does game show spoofs in every other episode. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2003, 12:41:48 AM »

Indeed...they've also done:

DG
FF
J!
MG
NG
Password
WoF

...and an earlier ep, Brian in Love, also did another TPiR spoof, albeit less authentic and w/someone else supplying Bob's voice.

daveromanjr

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2003, 09:07:39 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 10 2003, 11:41 PM\']

Indeed...they've also done:

DG
FF
J!
MG
NG
Password
WoF

...and an earlier ep, Brian in Love, also did another TPiR spoof, albeit less authentic and w/someone else supplying Bob's voice.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Also, in the new box set which I've had for almost  a week now (always check Wal-Mart for stuff early... they've had it out for a little while) they do a GREAT spoof of Survivor and TPiR.  Peter is on Survivor, trips on a rock and knocks down pieces of the set.  Behind it is a great spoof of the PiR set and the wheel.  And the best part is Bob Barker did his voice!  He says \"Now Donny, make you sure you get all the way around or...\" and then they both stare at Peter.

Also, there is a great Match Game parody.   The question is: \"Forgetful Freddy was SOOOOOOO forgetful!!  (HOW FORGETFUL WASS HE?!)  He was so forgetful, whenever he tried to remember somebody's name, he drew a BLANK!\"  The panel didn't know it was a question.  They all gave blank stares.  Richard Dawson, CNR, Betty White, Bret Summers along with a couple others look fantastic.  The set is done in green and has a logo based off the syndicated version.  I may post pics for those that don't have the box set.

ChuckNet

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2003, 11:33:50 AM »
Also, in the new box set which I've had for almost a week now (always check Wal-Mart for stuff early... they've had it out for a little while) they do a GREAT spoof of Survivor and TPiR. Peter is on Survivor, trips on a rock and knocks down pieces of the set. Behind it is a great spoof of the PiR set and the wheel. And the best part is Bob Barker did his voice! He says \"Now Donny, make you sure you get all the way around or...\" and then they both stare at Peter.

He then feigns fear and says \"Oh no...headhunters\" in a monotone voice, then asks quietly, \"Am I fired?\" :-)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 02:05:39 PM »
Also, in the new box set which I've had for almost a week now (always check Wal-Mart for stuff early... they've had it out for a little while)
Somebody who actually works in retail might have more information, but my understanding is that nearly everybody gets the product early, but they're required to wait until the release date to actually put stuff on the shelves.  Otherwise, stores that get their deliveries in the afternoons would always have a disadvantage competing against stores that get their deliveries in the mornings.

There are supposed to be serious penalties for breaking the \"embargo\" and selling things early, but enforcement is spotty.  Still, I doubt it's a corporate Wal-Mart policy to do it, seems like the chain as a whole would have gotten in trouble for that by now.  Your store must have an overeager (or clueless) clerk who just sees stuff in the back and puts it out.  If I was the Best Buy manager in your area, I'd be making some phone calls.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 02:33:10 PM »
Killing many birds with one stone...

...which will include the never-aired When You Wish Upon a Weinstein ep.

OBGS:  Ben Stein and Ed McMahon lend their voices to this episode, Stein as a rabbi and McMahon as himself hosting Star Search.

It was cancelled by FOX (ratings). However, the fact that McFarlane was supposed to be on that 9/11 plane caused him to delete a bin Laden joke from one of the episodes (I THINK it's on the DVD).

No, it's not on the first volume DVD set.

There are supposed to be serious penalties for breaking the \"embargo\" and selling things early, but enforcement is spotty. Still, I doubt it's a corporate Wal-Mart policy to do it, seems like the chain as a whole would have gotten in trouble for that by now. Your store must have an overeager (or clueless) clerk who just sees stuff in the back and puts it out. If I was the Best Buy manager in your area, I'd be making some phone calls.

There are ways to prevent this happening besides obviously waiting for the right sale date.  The store I worked at kept that item's number and UPC info out of the system until the night before or morning of the item's release...but I may have said too much. :-P

daveromanjr

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2003, 03:17:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 01:05 PM\']
Also, in the new box set which I've had for almost a week now (always check Wal-Mart for stuff early... they've had it out for a little while)
Somebody who actually works in retail might have more information, but my understanding is that nearly everybody gets the product early, but they're required to wait until the release date to actually put stuff on the shelves.  Otherwise, stores that get their deliveries in the afternoons would always have a disadvantage competing against stores that get their deliveries in the mornings.

There are supposed to be serious penalties for breaking the "embargo" and selling things early, but enforcement is spotty.  Still, I doubt it's a corporate Wal-Mart policy to do it, seems like the chain as a whole would have gotten in trouble for that by now.  Your store must have an overeager (or clueless) clerk who just sees stuff in the back and puts it out.  If I was the Best Buy manager in your area, I'd be making some phone calls. [/quote]
 I used to work at a Media Play (owned by Best Buy).  We would get stuff in early and take reservations for upcoming titles.  A lot of times, I would have customers come up to me (I was a cashier) and ask for a refund for their reservation back simply because they already got that movie at Wal-Mart.  

$250,000.  That's what I heard Wal-Mart was going to be fined for releasing Game Boy SP early.  They sold it a couple days before anybody else could.  My manager nearly had a heart attack when he heard that... he put all the boxes of them we had out on the floor immediately.

And, no, it wasn't an overeager clerk... my friend went with me the next day and (surprise) they were all out.  He asked if another store would have them and the lady said \"Could be, but let me tell you I heard that they sold pretty quickly since not many other stores have it yet.\"  I seriously think Wal-Mart may want to release stuff a couple days early... Why?  Because I bought my copy there early.  I would've bought it there anyway since its cheaper (Media Play, Best Buy... both rip offs when you see Wal-Mart's prices most of the time).  Whenever you want something, keep your eyes out.  We've had movies, cds, etc in the back of Media Play as far as three weeks before we can put it on the shelves... and we're just a small location.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2003, 04:10:19 PM »
I seriously think Wal-Mart may want to release stuff a couple days early... Why? Because I bought my copy there early.
I have no doubt that Wal-Mart (and just about anybody else) would WANT to release stuff a couple days early.  What I'm saying is that they're not supposed to do it, they could get fined pretty seriously for doing it, and if I was a competitor in your area seeing it happen (and seeing myself losing that all-important New Release business from it), I wouldn't be having a heart attack, I'd be reporting them.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

daveromanjr

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2003, 04:21:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 03:10 PM\']
I wouldn't be having a heart attack, I'd be reporting them.
Well all I know is from the Gamy Boy SP, they already were reported.  But we also got into a discussion where I brought up the fact that if I were Nintendo  (in that case) I would make sure they were fined, but I sure as heck wouldn't pull my stuff from their shelves as they do a great business.  

I was just trying to give people a heads up.  Sorry.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2003, 04:44:52 PM »
[quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'Sep 11 2003, 12:17 PM\'] $250,000.  That's what I heard Wal-Mart was going to be fined for releasing Game Boy SP early. [/quote]
 Good. I know we had to bust some heads when some idiots at some Southeastern Best Buy stores put Enter The Matrix on shelves before the official release date (despite TWO SEPERATE WARNINGS both on and inside of the shipment warning them against that very deed).

Invariably some jackass will do it, every time. We're steeled and ready for a flood of phone calls on Day X, and somebody will call us on Day X-1, complaining that it doesn't work, and upon further examination it's found that they do indeed, somehow, have a release copy of the game. Usually it's not a big chain like BB, tho.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe