Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Stupid GSN newbie  (Read 5731 times)

Kimriffic

Stupid GSN newbie
« on: September 28, 2006, 01:59:40 PM »
Hello people...please don't flame me for being stupid, but I have a question.  I just got GSN (never had it before), but I've been collecting gameshows for quite awhile.  As a result of trading with others, I have many shows where, for example, I have 4 of 5 episodes for a certain week.  I would love to try to fill in the gaps in my collection, but I work odd hours and am rarely home for the shows I want to see.  Is there any way to find out which episodes are going to be shown on a given day?  And do they go in order?  What about shows like Match Game, where they show it multiple times per day?  Is it the same episode every time?  Or is it in order?  Or just random?  I'm sorry to be so dumb, but I'm just getting everything set up to be able to tape, but I don't want to have to tape a bunch of episodes I already have.  Any help would be appreciated, and please be nice to me!  I'm a newbie!  Thank you in adance to anyone who can help!

BrandonFG

Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 02:35:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Kimriffic\' post=\'132891\' date=\'Sep 28 2006, 01:59 PM\']
Hello people...please don't flame me for being stupid, but I have a question.  I just got GSN (never had it before), but I've been collecting gameshows for quite awhile.  As a result of trading with others, I have many shows where, for example, I have 4 of 5 episodes for a certain week.  I would love to try to fill in the gaps in my collection, but I work odd hours and am rarely home for the shows I want to see.  Is there any way to find out which episodes are going to be shown on a given day?  And do they go in order?  What about shows like Match Game, where they show it multiple times per day?  Is it the same episode every time?  Or is it in order?  Or just random?  I'm sorry to be so dumb, but I'm just getting everything set up to be able to tape, but I don't want to have to tape a bunch of episodes I already have.  Any help would be appreciated, and please be nice to me!  I'm a newbie!  Thank you in adance to anyone who can help!
[/quote]
First, welcome, and there's nothing dumb about what you did. Those are actually good questions.

Generally, the shows air in order, but some episodes might get skipped because a celebrity didn't clear an appearance. GSN itself doesn't mention when the eps. aired, but there are several game show episode guides out there that can help you. Each daytime run of MG is different; I believe the 11 pm run is in winter or spring of 1975, as Charles Nelson Reilly didn't return until June or so of that year.

I'd start with Google, and just type in "(name of show) Episode Guide". Hope this helps and good luck!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 02:37:08 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 03:29:46 PM »
I notice that there's a lot of people who come in here and post while fearing flames from the members.

I'm gonna say this: Contrary to "popular" belief, we don't flame everyone who walks in the door here. As long as you post intelligently and don't make yourself out to be a complete and utter moron, you'll do fine. Also, if people tell you you're doing something wrong, your best bet is to listen so unlike certain others, you won't make the same mistakes twice.

If your posts don't have anything to add to the discussion, and you prove to the posters that you can't carry on an intelligent conversation, then you won't last long here without being flamed.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 03:39:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Kimriffic\' post=\'132891\' date=\'Sep 28 2006, 12:59 PM\']
Is it the same episode every time?  [/quote]
Although, last I knew, they were rerunning episodes on the weekends.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  
Any help would be appreciated, and please be nice to me!  I'm a newbie!  Thank you in adance to anyone who can help!
Being a newbie doesn't automatically earn you an immunity idol. :)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 05:16:57 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'132893\' date=\'Sep 28 2006, 01:35 PM\']
I believe the 11 pm run is in winter or spring of 1975, as Charles Nelson Reilly didn't return until June or so of that year.
[/quote]
Correctamundo.  Tonight's rerun starts a new five-day cycle (should be the 3/24/75 episode).

Other rough dates of some of the show runs:

The weekday P+ run is in early September 1979 (the weekend run is in late February 1979)
The weekday 4:30PM FF run is in early July 1980
The 2PM Perry CS run is in late April/early May 1979
The weekday SP run is in late September/early October 1986 (the two weekend runs are in November 1984 [5PM] and late December 1985/early January 1986 [5:30])

I will have other connecting gate information as soon as we land.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2300 continues
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 05:21:59 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 05:25:10 PM »
Brian Connoy's old matchgame.org site was insanely useful for this very thing.  It seems to be offline now (or at least he's lost the domain name) but thanks to the wayback machine, you can still check it out.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 06:54:27 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'132903\' date=\'Sep 28 2006, 05:16 PM\']
Other rough dates of some of the show runs:

The weekday P+ run is in early September 1979 (the weekend run is in late February 1979)
The weekday 4:30PM FF run is in early July 1980
The 2PM Perry CS run is in late April/early May 1979
The weekday SP run is in late September/early October 1986 (the two weekend runs are in November 1984 [5PM] and late December 1985/early January 1986 [5:30])
[/quote]
And Body Language should be summer 1984 (August maybe?)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Esoteric Eric

Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 12:49:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'132906\' date=\'Sep 28 2006, 02:25 PM\']Brian Connoy's old matchgame.org site... seems to be offline now (or at least he's lost the domain name) but thanks to the wayback machine, you can still check it out.[/quote]Matt, I'd be falling over myself thanking you for posting that link, except that Doug (aka SRIV94) posted a similar one about two weeks ago.  Durn, I gotta learn to speak up when something on the 'Net Vanishes Mysteriously <Dan Patrick> Firesign Theater term </dp>.  Up until matchgame.org VM'd, I had been compiling a spreadsheet for how many times which MG '7x celeb appeared, and it what position they sat (a fun way to make two hours of a weekend elapse in what seems like twelve seconds.)  Thanks to Doug, I resumed the effort with MG '78 last weekend.

Esoteric Eric, who realizes that an exact count of who sat where may not be possible; I didn't know about Johnny O filling in for Gary Burghoff until that thread two weeks ago.  Also, during the last week of the '80-'81 syndicated season (ObWhereAreTheyInTheRun: said week wraps up on GSn Friday morning @ 9 AM EDT), at least two panelists switched each day (a running gag brought on by Brett Somers' absence)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 10:08:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' post=\'132919\' date=\'Sep 28 2006, 11:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'132906\' date=\'Sep 28 2006, 02:25 PM\']Brian Connoy's old matchgame.org site... seems to be offline now (or at least he's lost the domain name) but thanks to the wayback machine, you can still check it out.[/quote]Matt, I'd be falling over myself thanking you for posting that link, except that Doug (aka SRIV94) posted a similar one about two weeks ago.  [/quote]

Thanks for the plaudits, Eric, but I do need to give credit where credit is due.  One of our members, SimpsonGeek, hosted the matchgame.org web pages on his site--and that's what I hyperlinked to.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2300 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Kimriffic

Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 11:09:30 AM »
Thank you all!  That helps me out a lot!   I had thought of the episode guide thing, but I wasn't sure if GSN was going on order or how, say, the weekday SPs compared with the weekend ones.  And for the record, this website has no reputation that I'm aware of, I'm just always cautious when I post on a new site.  Thanks again!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 12:54:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Kimriffic\' post=\'132938\' date=\'Sep 29 2006, 08:09 AM\']
And for the record, this website has no reputation that I'm aware of,
[/quote]
Hmm. Clearly I need to redouble my efforts, then. ;)
I'm just always cautious when I post on a new site.  Thanks again!
Oh, would that everyone followed that policy.

Welcome aboard. Based on your start, I hope your stay is long and pleasurable. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

aaron sica

Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 04:06:43 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'132948\' date=\'Sep 29 2006, 12:54 PM\']
Welcome aboard. Based on your start, I hope your stay is long and pleasurable. :)
[/quote]

I'm just glad that Kimriffic wasn't called "dear". :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 04:14:10 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'132964\' date=\'Sep 29 2006, 01:06 PM\']
I'm just glad that Kimriffic wasn't called "dear". :)
[/quote]
I'd want to wait until I knew the FNG was in fact female, first. Kim can be a guy's name, too (see Thunderbirds, Fabulous).
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kimriffic

Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »
Dear?  I'm too new to understand that one, lol.  And, rest assured, I am indeed female.  But I did live next door to a guy named Kim once.  :-)

Fedya

Stupid GSN newbie
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 09:29:17 PM »
For the record, since it hasn't been mentioned yet, the weekday $100K Pyramid is at the end of October 1986, with two episodes to go before the fifth $100K Tournament (with Levar Burton -- watch for his 80s hairdo! -- and Shelley Smith).  This is assuming they don't skip any more episodes.

GSN are currently only airing the 1986-7 season of $100K Pyramid over and over.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post