Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A question (or two) about Rod Roddy.....  (Read 4628 times)

Steve_Bier

A question (or two) about Rod Roddy.....
« on: September 07, 2003, 10:50:41 AM »
Was PiR the first Goodson-Todman show that Rod ever announced for (including pilot shows)?

Also, was Whew! his first-ever game show announcing gig, or were there any game show pilots that he had done prior?

cmjb13

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 12:03:15 PM »
I have a question not to throw this thread to far off topic.

Randy West mentioned that he has been friends with Rod since the 70's.

Wouldn't his friendship with Rod disqualify him from being a contestant on PYL? (Unless this show didn't have the policy of not allowing people to apply as contestants if they know somebody on the show)

Just wondering...
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 12:52:38 PM »
i think you have to be related in order to be disqualified.

MCArroyo1

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 01:38:36 PM »
i think you have to be related in order to be disqualified.
Not sure about that.  I recall hearing both Peter Marshall and Dick Clark mention that they can't \"know\" (be acquainted with) any of the contestants unless they're playing for charity.

But that may only apply to the host...

LA the DJ

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 01:48:20 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 11:03 AM\'] I have a question not to throw this thread to far off topic.

Randy West mentioned that he has been friends with Rod since the 70's.

Wouldn't his friendship with Rod disqualify him from being a contestant on PYL? (Unless this show didn't have the policy of not allowing people to apply as contestants if they know somebody on the show)

Just wondering... [/quote]
 I believe standard contest disclaimers generally say \"friends and employees\" of anyone who works for the network, production company, and often, even the sponsors.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 02:49:21 PM »
Yup. I remember DC mentioning that a $100k Pyramid contestant had to be held over a week because her husband worked with one of the celebs [I think it was Henry Polic II, IIRC]

I believe standard contest disclaimers generally say \"friends and employees\" of anyone who works for the network, production company, and often, even the sponsors.

True. This can also be found in Gene Rayburn's outrageous mile-a-minute disclaimer for the MG/HS phone match game.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 03:13:59 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 01:49 PM\'] Yup. I remember DC mentioning that a $100k Pyramid contestant had to be held over a week because her husband worked with one of the celebs [I think it was Henry Polic II, IIRC] [/quote]
 That's Keif Ferrendini.

Something else to consider: she and HP2 would've been partners. Maybe that could have something to do with it. Rod Roddy couldn't help Randy West win.

tvrandywest

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 03:53:36 PM »
I am NOT giving back the L'eggs Pantyhose no matter WHAT! I just got them \"broken in\"!!       ;-)

Rod and I were phone friends in the 70s through mutual radio buddies who had worked with him in Buffalo, New York. I was a teenager on the air in Poughkeepsie, and I don't recall if Rod was even in LA yet. I think he was still in radio in Texas; he certainly hadn't worked anywhere near national TV at the time. But he had done an hysterical on-camera gig as \"the world's largest jockey\" in a TV commercial for Texas-based Meineke Mufflers! He was soooo engaging and memorable in that spot - a natural for TV! Anyway, Rod and I lost touch with each other, which is the norm in the vagabond lives of radio nomads.

(fade to black. up on swaying palm tree with 6430 Sunset Blvd in background.)

In the early 80s I was on the radio in LA, coincidentally on a station with studios and offices in the same building as Goodson-Todman's headquarters! I had reconnected with Johnny O., and was starting to sniff around the game shows. I knew to only do run-throughs and pilots for Goodson because of my relationship with Johnny, so I was happy when a new Bill Carruthers show recruited me. I went through the whole audition process for PYL before its on-air debut. Ultimately I was scheduled for one of the show's very first tape dates (episodes #9, 10, and 11). You know how contestants are kept in quarantine from staff, cast and crew; well, I didn't know Rod and I were in the same zip code until after the show!

I later told Bill Carruthers about having been a phone friend with Rod in years past. His evaluation of the whole situation was that there was no problem. Bill was such a straight-shooter that when I sent him a bottle of champagne the day that my final PYL episode aired, he returned it with a note saying that it might appear inappropriate for him to accept a gift from me! Earlier in 2003 I told that story at Carruthers' memorial service in studio 33, and how it wasn't even particularly expensive champagne! His son Byl found it amusing.

Well, after that PYL experience, learning that Rod was in the game show world but that our previous aquaintanceship apparently didn't violate eligibility rules, he and I purposely kept our distance so that I wouldn't limit my contestant potential.  I already felt so severly limited by my relationship with Johnny - I didn't appear on a second Goodson show until 1990, 5 years after John's death and only as a TTTT imposter during the revival's very first week of taping. I was called by the TTTT contestant crew, presumedly from their files of folks who had worked their run-throughs and pilots.

Amazing so many years later to now find myself working in Rod's footsteps while he's out sick! Strange world. Hey, and speaking of strange coincidences and \"Rod\", was that Rod Serling I just heard?

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 04:07:03 PM by tvrandywest »

Steve_Bier

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2003, 07:19:16 PM »
Didn't Rod also host a game show at one point? It may have been a local show, but I'm not 100% sure....

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 08:42:07 AM »
Didn't Rod also host a game show at one point? It may have been a local show, but I'm not 100% sure....

There was a clip on that mid-80s game show clips special Carl Reiner hosted that showed Rod Serling hosting Liars' Club. That special was the only show I can think of that had four different announcers taking turns behing the mike throughout the hour. As I recall, they were John Harlan, Jay Stewart, Don Pardo and (here's the name again) Rod Roddy. Monty Hall and Betty White made guest appearances and a clip was shown from the final telecast of Stumpers.

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2003, 01:00:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 9 2003, 07:42 AM\']

There was a clip on that mid-80s game show clips special Carl Reiner hosted that showed Rod Serling hosting Liars' Club. That special was the only show I can think of that had four different announcers taking turns behing the mike throughout the hour. As I recall, they were John Harlan, Jay Stewart, Don Pardo and (here's the name again) Rod Roddy. Monty Hall and Betty White made guest appearances and a clip was shown from the final telecast of Stumpers.[/quote]
With the clip from \"Stumpers!\" having different music put under it to avoid having to pay Alan Thicke (I don't think any original music tracks made it on that show--and I do point out that the first \"Outrageous Moments\" special did the same thing with that \"NTT\" clip to avoid clearing the song and paying musicians' union residuals to Tommy Oliver and the boys).