Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: You Don't Say reruns in New York?  (Read 3420 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
You Don't Say reruns in New York?
« on: July 08, 2006, 03:10:42 AM »
A friend of mine vividly remembers that after the conclusion of You Don't Say's 1969 NBC run,
Metromedia station WNEW-TV in New York, now WNYW Channel 5 FOX, aired entire weeks of shows of You Don't Say from early, middle, and later seasons.
I have no reason to believe that it's a false memory of his, but I'm curious: does anyone else remember You Don't Say repeats on WNEW-TV or even their local stations?

Finally, although it's a longshot, could there be a small chance that those tapes are still in the station's warehouse?

--Jamie
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 03:11:35 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 03:17:23 AM »
Oh, from what little I've seen of the show....

One can only hope.
Anyone out there have access to old TV listings?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 05:45:37 AM »
Yes, according to my back issues of TV Guide, Channel 5 did run them, at least through December of 1971.  The earliest listing I can find is September of 1970, when it ran at 12:30pm (following reruns of "Pay Cards"). It moved to 9am by the summer of 1971 and was moved to an overnight slot in the fall of 71 (1 am or 1:30, depending on the length of the movie that preceded it)

As far as tapes, wouldn't they be the property of Paramount? (Now Paramount/Viacom/CBS, etc, etc...)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 05:49:46 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 11:24:30 AM »
I, too, used to watch reruns of YDS! when they aired once, then twice daily on then-Metromedia-owned KMBC-9 in Kansas City back in 1971.  They were all from 1969 which was just as well; that last year of shows was partially bumped by WDAF-4 when NBC aired them, so they were new to me.

One week of shows I was excited about seeing (but never got to see in their entirety, just the Monday and Friday shows) had Amanda Blake and Vin Scully as the celebs, and I knew Vin was there to plug his upcoming It Takes Two series.  It wasn't until I saw the Monday show that I found out when his show's debut date was, and I audiotaped some segments of the two shows I saw that week.

During another week of shows in which one of the stars was Jo Anne Worley, one of the names they had to guess was "Judy Garland", and before and after that round was played, the regular audio faded out and was replaced by an voice-over by John Harlan saying "This show was taped prior to the death of Judy Garland".
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 07:26:51 PM »
I remember YOU DON'T SAY on WNEW 5 as well... very late at night.

(Silly me... I thought they were new...I was 9 or 10 - then the stars were promoting years old movies I knew these were old shows!!)

Well, a new version did come on in '75...unfortunately ...for me ... it replaced one of my 1975 favorites, The MoneyMaze.

calliaume

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 11:47:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'123610\' date=\'Jul 8 2006, 04:45 AM\']
Yes, according to my back issues of TV Guide, Channel 5 did run them, at least through December of 1971.  The earliest listing I can find is September of 1970, when it ran at 12:30pm (following reruns of "Pay Cards"). It moved to 9am by the summer of 1971 and was moved to an overnight slot in the fall of 71 (1 am or 1:30, depending on the length of the movie that preceded it)
[/quote]
Damn.  How did I miss this?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 01:23:29 AM »
Curt, you were probably dutifully attending school or sleeping when these aired.  Myself, I was in the sixth grade in 71 so I missed watching a lot of game shows if they came on before 3 o'clock.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 05:35:13 PM »
I always wondered about that.  I've got some NY TVGuides from around that time frame and saw that listing.  I figured they must be repeats from the network run.

Curt's site also questions whether Gambit reruns were seen in NY in the late '70s.  They were...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 05:51:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'123710\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 05:35 PM\']
Curt's site also questions whether Gambit reruns were seen in NY in the late '70s.  They were...
[/quote]

IIRC, Channel 7 in DC aired reruns of Gambit (when it was WMAL)...

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 06:23:40 PM »
Reruns of off-network shows demonstrate that the networks were not the bad guys with regard to lost shows.  Unless Rhodes gave the Gambit tapes back to CBS for storage, etc.  Ultimately the producers are responsible for the fate of their tapes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 06:24:47 PM by Jimmy Owen »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 08:46:25 AM »
Reruns of off-network shows demonstrate that the networks were not the bad guys with regard to lost shows. Unless Rhodes gave the Gambit tapes back to CBS for storage, etc. Ultimately the producers are responsible for the fate of their tapes.

That's a good point, but we don't know for sure that the entirety of Gambit is gone.  It's possible that the episodes they syndicated in the late '70s are still around.  When you look at some of the other shows that were syndicated, such as the last year of CBS Joker's Wild, last year of the original Password, even the original Dating Game, which was syndicated for a while (according to TVGuide).  All of those episodes have always been know to exist.  Maybe its because GSN had no desire to negotiate for whatever was left of Gambit that they haven't turned up anywhere.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!