Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ohio Lottery Cash Explosion ending in September  (Read 10525 times)

MikeK

• Martha!

beatlefreak84

Ohio Lottery Cash Explosion ending in September
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 05:01:15 PM »
I can't say that I'm sorry to see it go.  I watched a few of the episodes they posted online, and the show is really anticlimatic to me.  Nobody really looked excited to be there, including the hosts, and the final round to determine the "champion" for the show is pretty much a waste of time, especially with the contestants themselves picking the numbers, and having nothing really to play for, being able to win without doing a single thing*.

And I'll say the same thing I said when they started doing it on "Illinois Instant Riches:"  Why does a lottery game show have returning champions?  Nobody was able to win more than once in the episodes I've seen; did anybody win the three times to get $200,000?

I'm interested to check out the new show, just to see what differences they're going to throw in, or if it's just simply the same show under a new name...;)

Anthony

*=The final round consists of three players picking numbers off a 9-number board; the first one whose name is revealed three times wins.  It doesn't matter who picks your name or when, just that your name gets picked three times!
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »
I ran into an answer for this question last night while hunting for the address where Cash Explosion entry tickets must be sent...

[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'121192\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 05:01 PM\']Nobody was able to win more than once in the episodes I've seen; did anybody win the three times to get $200,000?[/quote]
Ohio Lottery's Cash Explosion page says there have been 67 winners of $200,000 since the late 80s (1987, I think).  Number 68 might happen this weekend, as some bluehair with 4 teeth won $100,000 on Saturday.  (That should go in Show Summaries, right?  How many bluehairs with 4 teeth live in Ohio?  Why was I watching Cash Explosion on Saturday, besides boredom?)

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 06:00:24 PM »
I for one am glad to see the show go as well, although watching some of them contestants from them thar hills in SE Ohio wearin their Sunday best are a hoot.  

If the Ohio Lottery people were smart, they should go after a fairly well-known person around the state or region as host and tape a months worth of shows in a weekend in order to accomodate said person's schedule.  

One would probably hope for the best for Leilani and Michelle as I really don't think they will be part of the new show.  Hopefully TGiFridays will hire them both back on their wait staff again!

BTW, here is a more detailed press release from the Ohio Lottery itself:  http://www.ohiolottery.com/press_releases/...Det.aspx?Id=592

[quote post=\'121192\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 05:01 PM\']How many bluehairs with 4 teeth live in Ohio?
[/quote]

Most Ohioans who live along the Ohio River would love to have that extra 4th tooth!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 06:05:15 PM by TimK2003 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 06:05:32 PM »
Maybe Paul Tapie can buy some lottery tickets and win his old job back.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

brianhenke

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 07:13:07 PM »
At least there will be another show taking place. The Lottery has had a game show presence since it started in 1974.

Brian

The Jehovah's Witnesses distribute Mad magazine?
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

LA the DJ

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 08:06:44 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'121215\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 07:13 PM\']
At least there will be another show taking place. The Lottery has had a game show presence since it started in 1974.
[/quote]

Really? What preceeded Cash Explosion? The first game show I remember here was the original Cash Explosion with the $50,000 'Money Mountain'.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 08:19:31 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' post=\'121224\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 07:06 PM\']
What preceeded Cash Explosion? The first game show I remember here was the original Cash Explosion with the $50,000 'Money Mountain'.
[/quote]

I cannot remember all of the versions, but the first version was 1974, simply called "The Ohio Lottery Show", and IIRC there was some sort of "Pot Of Gold" element to it, where contestants had to find a hidden Pot of Gold Square to win something.

Then I also remember another version which featured 3 air-powered wheels (where a rubber ball would bounce and roll into one of the 10 numbered ruts)  in an upside-down "Bullseye" arrangement -- one atop 2 other wheels.  Not sure how the gameplay was on that one, but I believe that was the second version of the lottery show.  Both of these versions were done in the 70's.

BTW, anybody in the Motor City remember the Michigan Lottery show that radio legend Tom Shannon hosted?  I believe it was in the late 70's/early 80s.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:07:22 PM by TimK2003 »

Allstar87

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 08:29:19 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' post=\'121224\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 08:06 PM\']
The first game show I remember here was the original Cash Explosion with the $50,000 'Money Mountain'.
[/quote]

If you don't mind me asking, how was Cash Explosion played back then? Was the whole format different, or just the payouts?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 09:01:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'121230\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 08:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' post=\'121224\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 08:06 PM\']
The first game show I remember here was the original Cash Explosion with the $50,000 'Money Mountain'.
[/quote]

If you don't mind me asking, how was Cash Explosion played back then? Was the whole format different, or just the payouts?
[/quote]
7 people played.  Each person had a row of tiles (think about the size of Scrabble's), with numbers on it, ranging from -2 to +3.  Whatever number you got is the number of spaces you moved up or down the board.  The first one to reach the top of the board with an exact number won $50,000.  Game over, no extra rounds, no returning champions.

I have a vidgrab of that version of the show somewhere on my HD...

EDIT:  I found seven vidgrabs on my HD from the 15th anniversary show in 2002.  They can be found here.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:20:56 PM by hmtriplecrown »

Allstar87

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 10:57:25 PM »
Thanks for the screengrabs, Mike. Much appreciated!

My goodness, it was an entirely different show back then...

jmangin

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 08:09:49 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'121200\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 05:52 PM\']
How many bluehairs with 4 teeth live in Ohio?
[/quote]

Being from Ohio originally...I can tell you that the answer to that is "A LOT."  Several thousands.

I moved away when I was 18--which probably accounts for the fact that I have all my original teeth and a normal hair color.

If you think Cash Explosion is bad now--you should have seen it when Paul Taupie and Sharon Bicknell hosted.  They are pretty much the "WB" version of Pat & Susan.

Don Howard

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 08:59:45 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'121215\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 07:13 PM\']
[/quote]
Not exactly. In fact, you're wrong. In 1974, The Ohio Lottery Show began with host Gib Shanley, co-host Barney Tremblay (a woman) and disembodied announcer Paul King. Don Webster took over as host a few months later and Jan Jones replaced Barney circa 1978. For its final months, dying completely in 1979, the show was squeezed into a five-minute weekly program.
Don was seen hosting the one-minute nightly drawing of The Number (now Pick 3) starting in 1979. Townsend Coleman replaced him briefly in 1984, Polka Varieties host Paul Wilcox replaced him briefly in 1984 (he read the wrong Lotto numbers one night during the drawing and that was the end of him), Bob Becker took over for a bit in 1985 and then Sam Varr and Karen Harris each drew the numbers three nights each per week. Sam died in 1988 and Bob Becker returned.
In 1987, Cash Explosion {later to become Cash Explosion Double Play} brought back the 30-minute Ohio lottery game show. Your first hosts were Bob Grossi and Sharon Bicknell. Bob left in 1988 to take the chief weathercaster job at WBNS 10-TV in Columbus and Paul Tapie took over. Mike Armstrong briefly hosted in 2000, got canned quickly and Paul returned. Both Paul and Sharon got sacked a couple of years ago and that's how we ended up with the winning pair of Michelle Duda and Leilani Barrett. Tom Bush was the first announcer on Cash Explosion with John E. Douglas replacing him a couple of years later. Bob Becker occasionally fills in. When Bob announced and Paul hosted, it was a reunion of sorts as Bob Becker and Paul Tapie co-hosted the afternoon drive shift toward the end of the glory days at 1220/WGAR in Cleveland with a show called>>>>>Becker & Tapie. Great days. Much missed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:04:40 AM by Don Howard »