Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Congress V  (Read 6843 times)

Matt Ottinger

Game Show Congress V
« on: May 25, 2006, 11:58:45 AM »
Gang:

Here's a press release (quoted in full with permission) about this summer's fifth annual Game Show Congress.  Wink Martindale, Peter Marshall and Betsy Palmer are among the guests this year.  This is a great opportunity for game show fans to gather and meet each other as well as the celebs.  I got to see many people on this board last year, and I hope to see even more this year.

----------------------
The Game Show Congress' Fifth Annual Convention will be held July 13-16 at the Hilton Burbank Airport, 2500 Hollywood Way, Burbank, CA 91505. On Sunday July 16, a celebrity luncheon will be held honoring game show legend Peter Marshall ("Hollywood Squares"), who will receive the Bill Cullen Career Achievement Award, and Mark Itkin, Executive VP and Worldwide Co-head of Television for the William Morris Agency, who will be given the Ralph Edwards Career Community Service Award in recognition
of his extensive efforts on behalf of various charites, including the AIDS Research Alliance.

Other convention highlights will include ---

* A stage production of "What's My Line, Live" hosted by J. Keith Van Straaten ("Beat the Geeks") and an all-star panel including original "I've Got a Secret" panelist Betsy Palmer, game show hosts Larry Anderson and Sarah Purcell, and TV audience warm-up comedian Stuart Shostak.

* A high-powered industry panel discussion entitled "From Games Shows to Reality Shows and Back Again", moderated by TV Host & Producer Roger Rose, and featuring participants Bob Boden (VP Programming, Fox Reality Channel), Stu Billet (Executive Producer, "The Peoples Court "), Michael Brockman (former VP
Programming CBS, ABC, and Goodson-Todman Productions), and Scott St. John (Executive Producer, "Deal or No Deal").

* An exclusive "Tic Tac Dough" reunion with game emcee Wink Martindale, producers Ronnie Greenberg and Allen Koss, and all time champion Thom McKee, who won over $300,000 on the program in 1980. Mr.
Martindale will also host a re-creation of the game in which members of the audience will be invited to play against Mr. McKee for prizes.

* Game competitions will run throughout the weekend, and are open to all convention delegates and guests. These will be used either as training for potential show appearances, to raise funds for charity, or just for recreational purposes. Players can test their skills against some of the best game show contestants of all time, who will also be in attendance.

The Game Show Congress is a not-for-profit cooperative association for the promotion of the game show and quiz event industry. The annual conference brings together past and potential contestants, writers,
announcers, hosts, producers, sponsors, and fans of the genre. For the detailed conference schedule, and to register to attend, please visit www.gameshowcongress.com or for general information call 213-984-4830.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
Game Show Congress V
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 12:31:14 PM »
If anybody needs encouragement to attend this year's Congress...

I went to last year's event.  I had the time of my life.  I didn't think Paul Bailey et al. could outdo themselves.  I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of me making it this year at this moment is 50:50.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game Show Congress V
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 01:14:19 PM »
Mike's encouragement seconded (I'm probably wide enough to third it as well :) ).

I was a rookie attendee a year ago.  Obviously, I went not knowing what to expect.  And I had a tremendous time.  As Matt said in his prelude, hobnobbing with members of this board who attended was just as much fun as meeting up with the celebs (I guess I shouldn't just limit it to members of this forum--meeting former contestants and other attendees was a blast as well).  And the veterans who had attended prior GSCs made me feel absolutely welcome.

I look forward to trekking to Burbank come July.  Hope to see y'all there.

Doug
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 01:31:23 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tvrandywest

Game Show Congress V
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 01:21:39 PM »
Each year gets bigger and better!

Again this year I've proudly served on the team that has been organizing the weekend for many months. There is growing participation each year among some the producers from the classic era, as well as fresh faces from new hit shows.  And there are other events not yet announced that promise to pleasantly surprise attendees. You can tell that what started as an experiment only 3 years ago when the event moved to L.A. has grown to critical mass by some of the behind-the-scenes politics about who appears where, with whom, and at what event. It's the kind of behind-the-scenes manuevering that exists throughout the business, and it's another sign that GSC has become an important event for those who play those games. But expect none of that to detract from the fun and excitement. GSC5 will be the event of the year for game show fans!

I will try to sneak away from TPiR-Live in Vegas for a quick visit, and look forward to seeing members of the Big Board family!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Don Howard

Game Show Congress V
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 01:57:05 PM »
Word to the wise: Sign up now to get the discount.
Also, get those airline and hotel reservations in as fast as possible.
Travis and I have much excitement as we "ice-break" again with
The Price Is Right plus I'm bringing the companion along for
this trip-----to make Pat O'Brien jealous, of course.
I know Gordon and company have a bunch of good stuff in
store for us, too, for that extended weekend of fun and games.
The lunch I promised Doug and Matt is still on, naturally.
And as in past years, I'll just sit back enjoying the moment as
everyone else is flashing cameras all over the place.
Joe Van Ginkel, is the $otC cash jackpot still going to be $250,000
as you told me at Bennigan's last August?

vtown7

Game Show Congress V
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 03:54:39 PM »
Sadly I will not be able to attend and defend my status as the $ale of the Century all star or repeat my Classic Concentration bonus round dominance :)

Have fun everyone... maybe next year.

And remember Don... and everyone else... beware the crazy CBS page... "Remember... YOU ARE WRONG!"

Cheers,

Ryan :)

Ian Wallis

Game Show Congress V
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 04:10:19 PM »
Because of vacation-time limitations between my wife's work and mine, I can only come to the GSC on the Sunday.  I've already booked everything, and if my Price is Right tickets arrive in time, will also be attending the taping on July 17th.  (If not, I'll have to go to CBS on the 17th and get tickets for the 19th!)

Even though I'll miss the first three days, I'm still looking forward to seeing what goes on at one of these events, and to meet some of the people from this Forum.

I'm looking forward to it!  :)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
Game Show Congress V
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 07:31:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'119451\' date=\'May 25 2006, 10:57 AM\']
Word to the wise: Sign up now to get the discount.
Also, get those airline and hotel reservations in as fast as possible.
Travis and I have much excitement as we "ice-break" again with
The Price Is Right plus I'm bringing the companion along for
this trip-----to make Pat O'Brien jealous, of course.
I know Gordon and company have a bunch of good stuff in
store for us, too, for that extended weekend of fun and games.
The lunch I promised Doug and Matt is still on, naturally.
And as in past years, I'll just sit back enjoying the moment as
everyone else is flashing cameras all over the place.
Joe Van Ginkel, is the $otC cash jackpot still going to be $250,000
as you told me at Bennigan's last August?
[/quote]

As a matter of fact it is...although we're incorporating the Australian Winner's Board (six prizes instead of ten) this year.

For those who've not been with us in years past, one of the highlights is the Game Show Tournament, headed by Game Show News Net reality editor Gordon Pepper and myself.  Since the event is several days longer than previously, the Tournament is considerably expanded from the eight preliminary games up to sixteen, of all types.  This year we have also added Ben Ziek and Travis Schario to our crew list, and with their help, this year's Tournament promises to be one of the most exciting ever.

We look forward to seeing you all in July.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Game Show Congress V
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 02:31:49 AM »
If only I wasn't in classes this summer, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I'm impressed with the lineup!  If anyone here can make it, I'd recommend not missing this one, if only for the TTD reunion.

Casey Buck

Game Show Congress V
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 02:54:30 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'119503\' date=\'May 25 2006, 11:31 PM\']
If only I wasn't in classes this summer, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I'm impressed with the lineup!  If anyone here can make it, I'd recommend not missing this one, if only for the TTD reunion.
[/quote]

Let's just hope Jim Caldwell doesn't stumble in trying to explain just how important the red boxes are, and repeatedly mentioning about how much Thom McKee won.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 03:05:06 AM by Casey Buck »

Don Howard

Game Show Congress V
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 11:33:40 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'119504\' date=\'May 26 2006, 02:54 AM\']
Let's just hope Jim Caldwell doesn't stumble in trying to explain just how important the red boxes are, and repeatedly mentioning about how much Thom McKee won.
[/quote]
Actually, I hope Jim is there. And Patrick Wayne, too. And as many of the surviving announcers as possible. Plus Kit Salisbury.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Game Show Congress V
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 03:33:10 PM »
If that Game Show Library / Museum is ever built, I think I've found the location of my dream job.
New Mexico is like my second home!

--Jamie
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 03:35:23 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

trainman

Game Show Congress V
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 12:25:39 AM »
I'll try to make it for some of the events -- the Thursday evening social most definitely, because you can't beat the price.  One problem is that I'll be at work during the day on both Friday and Saturday...but then, work will be in sight of the Hilton.  In fact, if any members of this forum want to walk over and have a meal with me at the fabulous Yahoo! Burbank commissary, that could probably be arranged.  (The office hasn't moved there yet, so I don't really know how fabulous it is.)
trainman is a man of trains

Matt Ottinger

Game Show Congress V
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 04:39:38 PM »
I've just learned of a late addition to the proceedings at GSC Five.  They're planning a roundtable of game show announcers, which has actually morphed into an announcers/hosts combination.  Jack Narz, Burton Richardson, Sarah Purcell and Larry Anderson are confirmed, and there may be one or two other big additions.

Still, as I've said before, star power or not, the reason to go to this thing is to rub elbows with each other.  This annual gathering is the best opportunity to surround yourself with fellow fans and get to put faces to some of the names you see here and on other boards.  It's guaranteed to be a fun time.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game Show Congress V
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 05:54:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'121187\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 03:39 PM\']
I've just learned of a late addition to the proceedings at GSC Five.  They're planning a roundtable of game show announcers, which has actually morphed into an announcers/hosts combination.  Jack Narz, Burton Richardson, Sarah Purcell and Larry Anderson are confirmed, and there may be one or two other big additions.
[/quote]
That's going to be sweet.  Paul Bailey (the organizer, for those unaware) had sent me an E-mail trumpeting the addition, but didn't provide any details.

And Don's advice is sage--especially if you're able to come in from out of town (that way, you can lock in lower airfares, not to mention take care of the hotel and conference registration at a lower rate).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)