Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sale of the Century question  (Read 2925 times)

applebranch

Sale of the Century question
« on: April 23, 2006, 05:00:06 PM »
Hi everyone-
I'm a journalism student working on a radio documentary about my mother. She was on Sale of the Century sometime in the fall of 1971. I haven't had any luck finding footage of the show, but I'm wondering if anyone might know where I could get a hold of the theme music at least?
Thanks!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 05:13:44 PM »
[quote name=\'applebranch\' post=\'116855\' date=\'Apr 23 2006, 05:00 PM\']
Hi everyone-
I'm a journalism student working on a radio documentary about my mother. She was on Sale of the Century sometime in the fall of 1971. I haven't had any luck finding footage of the show, but I'm wondering if anyone might know where I could get a hold of the theme music at least?
Thanks!
[/quote]

Al Howard and Eugene Jones are still alive, as far as I know, as is Ron Greenberg.  Whether they could help you out is another question.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 05:46:07 PM »
Shoot. I think the 70s SotC theme song was on Eric Hjelm's site before it went down.

I'm sure someone has a copy.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 07:18:07 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'116861\' date=\'Apr 23 2006, 04:46 PM\']
Shoot. I think the 70s SotC theme song was on Eric Hjelm's site before it went down.
[/quote]

IIRC, that was actually the theme from the UK version.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 07:18:30 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 07:36:07 PM »
Unfortunately, I think that's one of the very, VERY few shows of any decent run for which nothing at all is in the hands of the "circuit" of internet collectors.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

applebranch

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 10:38:21 PM »
Well, thanks anyway everyone!
I appreciate your help...

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 08:01:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'116873\' date=\'Apr 23 2006, 07:36 PM\']
Unfortunately, I think that's one of the very, VERY few shows of any decent run for which nothing at all is in the hands of the "circuit" of internet collectors.
[/quote]

The original $otC predated anyone having home VCRs, but I'm surprised a full episode of Jack Clark Cross-Wits hasn't yet made its way onto the trading circuit, given how it ran through 1980 first-run and till at least 1982 in reruns. Surely someone with a VCR who recorded other shows c. 1980 would have gotten an ep. or two of Cross-Wits. The first two rounds of a first-season episode is on the trading circuit, and has been for years. C-W has gotta be the only show since 1975 for which a full episode is not yet on the trading circuit, no?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 08:04:22 AM by zachhoran »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 08:49:09 AM »
The first two rounds of a first-season episode is on the trading circuit, and has been for years. C-W has gotta be the only show since 1975 for which a full episode is not yet on the trading circuit, no?

Depends if you count the syndicated and network runs of a show as being separate.  I'd love to see an episode of the syndicated verison of Tattletales, but nothing from that run is around either.  Or for that matter, the syndie Celebrity Sweepstakes would be nice too.  Or how about ... (OK, I'd better stop now!)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 04:28:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'116946\' date=\'Apr 25 2006, 08:49 AM\']Depends if you count the syndicated and network runs of a show as being separate.  I'd love to see an episode of the syndicated verison of Tattletales, but nothing from that run is around either.  Or for that matter, the syndie Celebrity Sweepstakes would be nice too.  Or how about ... (OK, I'd better stop now!)[/quote]
Well, what you're talking about here are the subtle differences between daytime and nighttime versions of shows that, fortunately, do survive in some small measure.  (Most everybody who wants it has a copy of the Celebrity Sweepstakes pilot, and I've heard a couple other episodes are around as well.)  Zach's right that we don't have a full episode of the original run of Cross-Wits, but at least that snippet is still around.  

With the original SotC, though, there's nothing. As far as I know, not even the museums have episodes. For a show that ran as long as it did, that's astonishing.  Almost every other show from its era, at least anything that lasted more than a couple months, has at least one surviving episode.  Joe Garagiola's Memory Game and The Wizard of Odds are just about the only other two I can think of that don't, and neither lasted nearly as long as Sale.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 06:12:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'116984\' date=\'Apr 25 2006, 04:28 PM\']Zach's right that we don't have a full episode of the original run of Cross-Wits, but at least that snippet is still around.[/quote]
The full episode is available at the MoTR in Beverly Hills.  Having seen the entire episode, I can vouch that the full episode is worth seeing.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 06:43:01 PM »
I think I saw some audio recordings of old $ale episodes in the Library of Congress catalog.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BobbyLankford_83

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 07:26:38 PM »
The Jack Kelly/Joe Garagiola $ale of The Century is gone and NBC erased or destroyed all episodes,just like many other Peacock game shows. I do remember hearing a 1970 open with Bill Wendell who would later anounce on the Garry Moore/Joe Garagiola TTTT and later work with Letterman on Eric Hjelm's site. I used to have it before my PC crapped out on me.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 09:59:26 PM »
and The Wizard of Odds
The episode from 5-8-74 exists both at UCLA on a Betacam SP tape AND in the hands of a private collector....but no one's been successful at getting the collector to let go of it..not even to those of us no longer currently actively trading on the circuit. That could change in the future.
Of all "rarest of the rare" shows, which include Baffle, Anniversary Game, and Chain Letter, I'd say Wizard of Odds stand the best chance of finding its way into more private libraries in the not too distant future.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 10:06:04 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »