Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker Re-Ups  (Read 12683 times)

BrandonFG

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 09:15:49 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 07:58 PM\']The show, and Bob, are continuing so that's okay by me. Its a dumb cliche but I did not expect it to be this long. I remember something about how he wanted to stay on the show at least 'to the year 2000' and that was several years ago now.
[snapback]110819[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm kinda the same way. I remember watching the 25th anniversary special, which was 10 years ago this year, and I remember thinking it was a big deal THEN that Bob had re-upped for 5 years (taking him into 2001), and thinking how surprised I would've been if he had made it till then.

In a way, I'll be surprised if he makes it to '11, but then again I won't...wasn't Bob Hope doing specials up through his 90s (age, not the decade)? Even though his health deteriorated in his later years (mid-1990s up until his death), but I think he was just as strong when he was Bob's age.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 09:42:33 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TV Favorites

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 09:38:10 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 08:04 PM\']Forget all this speculation. Have they started rehearsing Rich Fields (WASHES MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP) or somebody else to take over the TV show?
[/quote]

It seems they could be using the TPiR Live shows to be auditioning potential hosts to take over the show when Bob no longer does it.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 10:53:32 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 04:47 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 07:04 PM\']Forget all this speculation. Have they started rehearsing Rich Fields (WASHES MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP) or somebody else to take over the TV show?
[snapback]110810[/snapback]
[/quote]
To officially put this rumor to rest...

No chance.
[snapback]110818[/snapback]
[/quote]
No chance that Fremantle and CBS will simply let the show die without trying someone else as emcee.

How funny it would be if Fremantle sold a Barker-less TPIR to Fox. With Ryan Seacrest.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 10:54:53 PM by chris319 »

RichZ

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 10:54:51 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 06:01 PM\']Which is fine and good, except with each passing year it's becoming more and more apparent that "when he feels it's time" and "when it actually WAS time" are two different things.
[snapback]110801[/snapback]
[/quote]

Valid point.  But I think it has been discussed here in the past that the one of the only hosts to hang 'em up voluntarily in the past has been Gary Moore.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Barker go out with a bang, but chances are he won't slow down until he's forced to, which is unfortunate.  Hopefully that day doesn't come anytime soon.

-Rick Z

comicus

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 11:23:25 PM »
I've always believed that Bob Barker is destined to go out like Charles Schulz... when the time feels right, he'll step down, and will pass on the day his final episode airs.  I wish him all the luck in the world.

Don Howard

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 01:29:18 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 07:58 PM\']I remember something about how he wanted to stay on the show at least 'to the year 2000' and that was several years ago now.
[snapback]110819[/snapback]
[/quote]
At least six.

Craig Karlberg

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 03:40:18 AM »
It's nice to see Barker re-uped for another 5 years.  Methinks it'll only last about 2 years or maybe 3 if he pushes it, but that's where I draw the line.  Besides, that contract is basically a series of "option years" just like his last one.  He'll let us know when it's time to "fade away into the sunset".  Untill then, let's enjoy the ride while it lasts.  I wish him all the best.

cmjb13

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2006, 07:12:41 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 10:53 PM\']No chance that Fremantle and CBS will simply let the show die without trying someone else as emcee.[/quote]
No question, but it won't be Mr. Fields.

Even though it probably won't put that rumor to rest.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 09:42:16 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

wheelloon

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2006, 10:08:36 AM »
How much money would a 5 year contract be worth to Bob Barker? Obviously he isn't doing it for the money, but I would suspect him signing some sort of 5 year deal like this would be worth something decent. Does anybody have any clue to this? This is just out of idle curiosity, nothing more...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Matt Ottinger

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 12:08:23 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 08:12 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 21 2006, 10:53 PM\']No chance that Fremantle and CBS will simply let the show die without trying someone else as emcee.[/quote]
No question, but it won't be Mr. Fields.

Even though it probably won't put that rumor to rest.[/quote]
I'm sure you enjoy your insider status, and you certainly must have reasons for this blanket statement.  Still, this being the Great Question of the Age, I don't see how you can vehemently, absolutely, positively, without-a-doubt rule out anything or anybody when you're talking about something that might happen two, three, five or more years from now.  Clearly, there's something about his status right now that takes him out of the running, but things change.  Seems like it wasn't all that long ago that TPIR announcers would "never again" be seen on camera.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 12:41:18 PM »
The last Bob Hope specials had the stink of contractually-obligated all over them--it was obvious that Hope could not perform, so they just did "tributes" to him (he kept everything, so there were lots of clips available) and just showed him waving in the audience seated next to Dolores.

Even before then, he wasn't doing 195 hours a year of television--just three or four, taped over leisurely periods.

And I'm of two minds about Barker's announcement--I'm glad he's hanging in there, but I'm not sure he's going to realize it's time to hang it up.  There is something to be said about going out on top--and maybe it's time to have all of these live show hosts do Friday shows as an on-the-air audition for the big job.

cmjb13

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 01:19:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 12:08 PM\']I don't see how you can vehemently, absolutely, positively, without-a-doubt rule out anything or anybody when you're talking about something that might happen two, three, five or more years from now.[/quote]
I specifically asked this question because it seemed to be the rumor that just won't die, ever since the announcer tryouts 2 years ago.

Sure, anything's possible, but if he does become host (and I'm talking full-time, not a sub) and I'm serious here, I'm flying out to Mid-Michigan and buying you dinner at the best spot in town.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 01:20:01 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 01:36:41 PM »
I'm not sure he's going to realize it's time to hang it up.
What is needed is for Fremantle and CBS to get together at the appropriate time and tell him "It's time." If he balks, let him go. They've got people who can take his place, and it's time to confront the myth that the show won't work without him. In the mean time, they should definitely be accomodating guest emcees, if not every Friday, an occasional segment here and there.

dzinkin

Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 01:42:37 PM »
"And now, here is the star of The Price is Right... CHRIS LEMON!"

You have to admit that watching idiots play Clock Game would become much more interesting. :-)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Barker Re-Ups
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 02:17:47 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Feb 22 2006, 10:42 AM\']"And now, here is the star of The Price is Right... CHRIS LEMON!"

You have to admit that watching idiots play Clock Game would become much more interesting. :-)
[snapback]110866[/snapback]
[/quote]
"$650."

"Higher."

"$700."

"Higher."

"$800."

"Lower."

"$900."

"Oh, fer f**k's sake. Stop the clock."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com