Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A question I'd like to ask...  (Read 4405 times)

aaron sica

A question I'd like to ask...
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 09:09:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 08:39 AM\']
One of the good things about having a C-band satellite dish is picking up "wild feeds".  Although they're not as plentiful as they once were, I've seen a few other football and hockey games on a wild feed with just the crowd noise and no announcers.  I've also seen feeds with announcers and heard what they actually said during commercial breaks!

ObGameShows:  "Wheel", "Jeopardy" and "Millionaire" still feed their shows in advance on C-band.
[snapback]80374[/snapback]
[/quote]

I always wanted a C-Band satellite dish.....I think the fever started kicking in when I spent a weekend with my dad at his work back in September '86, and on one of the monitors they were feeding the entire week of the syndicated CS. :)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 03:14:23 PM »
I always wanted a C-Band satellite dish.....I think the fever started kicking in when I spent a weekend with my dad at his work back in September '86, and on one of the monitors they were feeding the entire week of the syndicated CS. :)

They can be a lot of fun...but one problem with them is that many networks are no longer transmitting their C-band signal.  GSN's one of them - they went digital about a year ago.  There used to be satellite after satellite of great signals - now the pickings are getting slimmer by the month.  My program supplier thinks that in the next three or four years there will be no C-band signals left - with the possible exception of wild feeds.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DYosua

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 06:41:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 03:14 PM\']My program supplier thinks that in the next three or four years there will be no C-band signals left - with the possible exception of wild feeds.
[snapback]80455[/snapback]
[/quote]
Unfortunately, I think that will probably happen.  I hear there are still quite a few wildfeeds (especially sports feeds) on Ku-Band, but I only have C-Band.  Even the wildfeeds are becoming less and less popular, as distributors are looking for better ways to send out stuff.  King World (the distributor of Jeopardy and Wheel, of course) started experimenting with the Pathfire system (http://www.pathfire.com) last year.  As of now, the analog feed is still being sent out, but if the digital method is easier, I can't see the analog lasting too much longer.  Nevertheless, it still is fun to search the satellites for feeds - occasionally, there's some good stuff, from an announcerless sports game to local news reporters covering stories out in the field.

DrBear

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 07:36:39 PM »
One brief note on the topic - probably the closest to not having a host might have been "Inquizition." You never saw the host, he was only a question reader.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

ChuckNet

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 08:55:02 PM »
During the first season of Davidson HS, John had to leave just before the bonus round due to some kinda commitment, so they actually let the celebs run the final segment, w/center square Betty White designated the unofficial host.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")