Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Week's TV Game Show Almanac  (Read 3899 times)

AH3RD

This Week's TV Game Show Almanac
« on: April 03, 2005, 03:00:31 PM »
APRIL 5, 1971

An updated version of the 1961-1967 CBS Daytime war of the words, hosted by The Professor Of Game Show Emcees, Allen Ludden, best known as Password, had its premiere at 4 P.M. (EDT) on ABC Television (replacing its six-year-old Gothic soap opera with a huge cult status, Dark Shadows). It was the latest in a spate of retreads of old Mark Goodson-Bill Todman games (e.g. What’s My Line?, To Tell The Truth, The New Beat The Clock, The New Price Is Right and Match Game 73). Here, new rules allowed a contestant to stay on the show as long as five days as long as he or she continued winning, and the winning team played the "Betting Word" after the "Lightning Round", wherein a contestant was offered a chance to risk any or all winnings on the ability to get his/her celeb partner to say the word in 15 seconds thereby doubling the bet. Another new twist added to ABC's Password was a Tournament of Champions, done to a small degree in the original '60s CBS version, in which the winner would return the next week to face the previous year's grand champion in a best-of-seven playoff for $10,000!

Elizabeth Montgomery (Bewitched) and Bill Bixby (The Courtship Of Eddie's Father) launched the premiere week. Native Californian Judy Spicer, decked out in lavender 1971 hot pants, drew whistles on every partner change and rolled up $2,400 before retiring at the end of the first week undefeated. ABC's Password was popular enough to inspire a December 1, 1971 episode of The Odd Couple (ABC, 1970-75), in which Mr. & Mrs. Password, Allen and Betty White Ludden appear as themselves, and Felix Unger (Tony Randall) and Oscar Madison (Jack Klugman) become contestants on Password, but they don't seem to make a very good team. (Note: The Password set in the episode was a mere mock-up which did not take after the actual Password set for it was taped in Los Angeles whilst The Odd Couple was situated in New York City.) Betty White and Let's Make A Deal host Monty Hall guest-emceed on separate occasions when Allen Ludden appeared as a panelist.

After a couple of years, the old format had begun to stagnate, and on November 18, 1974, Password All-Stars, with only celebrities playing for charity, commenced. The main game now had a new "double" rule (a player was given the choice of going for double points by trying to get his/her teammate to say the password on one clue) and before the main game was a new jump-in elimination round. Replacing The Lightning Round was a new 20/20 Password Round, which added points to a celebrity's total. But like the old saying "too many cooks spoil the broth," too many stars spoil the game, and contestants were reinstated in yet another revamped edition of Password on February 24, 1975. The elimination round played before the main game and the "double" rule remained, only now a 3-step lightning round was used in the bonus game. Nothing worked, however, and the show was dropped on June 27 to make way for the Bobby Van-hosted Showoffs, another Goodson-Todman game. An approximate total of 1,099 episodes were produced for Password. Happily, shortly thereafter, Allen Ludden was awarded an Emmy for Outstanding Game Show Host for Password (his only one!), just as Password itself won an Emmy for Best Game/Audience Participation Show.

Nowadays, Password has the biggest profile on Game Show Network, with continuous repeats of the original 1966-67 color CBS Daytime (and 1962-65 B&W CBS Primetime) edition, and the 1979-82 (Password Plus) and 1984-89 NBC Daytime editions (Super Password). Unfortunately, the 1,099 episodes of the 1971-75 ABC Daytime version (along with the B&W CBS daytime edition) aren't in this rotation, as ABC, in a sort of "recycling" endeavor, erased the videotapes containing them for reuse (undoubtedly for the purpose of recording later Goodson-Todman games for The Alphabet Network, namely Family Feud and The Better Sex). As a tragic consequence of this, a few surviving copies of ABC's Password ever exist anymore: 8 prints in the UCLA Film & TV Archives (including one on the Friday of the premiere week!), 3 copies in the trading circuit (one Password All-Stars and 2 episodes of the original run, including the finale), and I'm not sure, but The Museum Of Television & Radio may have a handful, too. (Why Goodson-Todman never bothered to make spare copies for the network [to air and dispose of as they saw fit] and keep originals for themselves is a mystery to me...)

(Info gleaned from my own ABC Password Page.)
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 03:07:31 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 02:00 PM\']{el snippo}
(Info gleaned from my own ABC Password Page.)
[snapback]80313[/snapback]
[/quote]
Let's have some gleaning for the return of Now You See It. The Chuck Henry prejudice is absolutely disgusting. Glean about Dream House as well. Is there bad feeling about couples with room temperature IQs answering 50:50 multiple choice questions?

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 03:13:55 PM »
Dark Shadows wasn't a 6-year-old show when it was cancelled; it was not even five yet. DS premiered on June 27, 1966.

ObGameShow: Joel Crothers was on DS and appeared on one of the Celebrity Family Feuds in the '80s.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 03:25:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 02:07 PM\']R.I.P. Richard Kelton ("Guzzler" on Dallas) {1943-1978}[/quote]

Your sig triggered a thought...isn't today the anniversary of the show's premiere? I've been getting into the show on SoapNet, and I could've sworn I saw 4/3/78 as the premiere...

ObGameShow: Ken Kercheval ("Cliff Barnes") was a Pyramid regular in the 80s.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 03:32:29 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 03:25 PM\']
Your sig triggered a thought...isn't today the anniversary of the show's premiere? I've been getting into the show on SoapNet, and I could've sworn I saw 4/3/78 as the premiere...

[snapback]80316[/snapback]
[/quote]

Close......4/2/78 was the premiere. I could get into any Dallas rerun so long as Charlene Tilton's on it. :)

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 05:21:35 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 02:32 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 03:25 PM\']
[snapback]80316[/snapback]
[/quote]
Close......4/2/78 was the premiere. I could get into any Dallas rerun so long as Charlene Tilton's on it. :)
[snapback]80319[/snapback]
[/quote]
HOWEVER! April 3rd 1978 brought us the opening day telecast of Pass The Buck, where four players made instant decisions under pressure--also ungleaned in the opening transcription way above.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 11:52:40 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 02:32 PM\']Close......4/2/78 was the premiere. I could get into any Dallas rerun so long as Charlene Tilton's on it. :)
[snapback]80319[/snapback]
[/quote]
ObGS: Wasn't Charlene Tilton slated to host the first pilot of one of then-Pearson's GT revivals?

The three other things I gleaned from this thread: The Odd Couple can't come to DVD soon enough (Paramount's shooting for season 1 in the fall); Chuck Henry is coming dangerously close to becoming the next Pat O'Brien; and the word "glean" had been seriously underused in this forum until just now, despite being a legal guess on Lingo.

aaron sica

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 11:55:18 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 11:52 PM\']
ObGS: Wasn't Charlene Tilton slated to host the first pilot of one of then-Pearson's GT revivals?

The three other things I gleaned from this thread: The Odd Couple can't come to DVD soon enough (Paramount's shooting for season 1 in the fall); Chuck Henry is coming dangerously close to becoming the next Pat O'Brien; and the word "glean" had been seriously underused in this forum until just now, despite being a legal guess on Lingo.
[snapback]80347[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, I do believe she hosted a MG pilot in 1996, which from what I remember reading, was beyond awful.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 12:13:33 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 10:55 PM\']Yes, I do believe [Charlene Tilton] hosted a MG pilot in 1996, which from what I remember reading, was beyond awful.
[snapback]80348[/snapback]
[/quote]
I knew it was either MG or Feud, but I forgot which.  But now we know you won't get into just any old show with Charlene in it. ;-D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 12:13:49 AM by GS Warehouse »

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 09:38:59 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 11:13 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 10:55 PM\']Yes, I do believe [Charlene Tilton] hosted a MG pilot in 1996, which from what I remember reading, was beyond awful.
[snapback]80348[/snapback]
[/quote]
I knew it was either MG or Feud, but I forgot which.  But now we know you won't get into just any old show with Charlene in it. ;-D
[snapback]80352[/snapback]
[/quote]
It was indeed Charlene who hosted the Match Game trainwreck. Remember that the next time you view your MG98/99 tapes. It could have been infinitely worse. Dolly Parton hosted the mid-90s pilot for Family Feud. That one actually sounds intriguing.

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 09:44:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Apr 4 2005, 09:38 AM\']
It was indeed Charlene who hosted the Match Game trainwreck. Remember that the next time you view your MG98/99 tapes. It could have been infinitely worse. Dolly Parton hosted the mid-90s pilot for Family Feud. That one actually sounds intriguing.
[snapback]80381[/snapback]
[/quote]

It's almost too bad that Dolly's "Feud" didn't take off.....I can just see a question like "Name a part of a woman's anatomy", and Dolly shouting "Show me breasts!!!" at the big board...

AH3RD

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 05:29:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Apr 3 2005, 02:07 PM\']Let's have some gleaning for the return of Now You See It. The Chuck Henry prejudice is absolutely disgusting.[/quote]

I fear poor Chuck himself may be the most prejudiced of all against this game!
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine