Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close calls....narrow escapes.....  (Read 124099 times)

Bryce L.

Re: Close calls....narrow escapes.....
« Reply #450 on: March 18, 2022, 04:51:49 PM »
I watched that week while in Florida recently, and I agree that it was likely taped before the three-week "trial" started.  It seems odd they'd schedule the episodes that way - especially since there was no continuity between who the contestants were between those weeks.  I guess they were lucky it ended on a gauntlet win.

My only guess is that CBS wanted to start both Beat the Clock and Whew! with celebrities on the same day.

I agree that they don't really add anything to the show, but if it saved them from being cancelled I guess they had to go along with it.
What I don't get, is when Beat the Clock, why didn't anyone push to move Whew! into the 10 AM slot? Or would that have made any difference?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #451 on: March 18, 2022, 05:13:57 PM »
I watched that week while in Florida recently, and I agree that it was likely taped before the three-week "trial" started.  It seems odd they'd schedule the episodes that way - especially since there was no continuity between who the contestants were between those weeks.  I guess they were lucky it ended on a gauntlet win.

My only guess is that CBS wanted to start both Beat the Clock and Whew! with celebrities on the same day.

I agree that they don't really add anything to the show, but if it saved them from being cancelled I guess they had to go along with it.
What I don't get, is when Beat the Clock, why didn't anyone push to move Whew! into the 10 AM slot? Or would that have made any difference?
10 AM was prone to preemption by Mike Douglas, Dinah or Merv Griffin or a 9ammovie.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JMFabiano

« Reply #452 on: March 18, 2022, 06:15:12 PM »
Not only that, but adding celebrities means MORE rules to explain.  That is something W! doesn't need.

As I said, it seems more awkward leaving half your fate in blocking at least.  One person means one coherent strategy.

And don't get me started on dividing the task in the GoV...
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #453 on: March 29, 2022, 05:30:48 PM »
Looking ahead to next Wednesday 4/6, episode 176 will be skipped.  It would have originally aired on January 9, 1980.

Just throwing it out there...

Bryce L.

« Reply #454 on: March 29, 2022, 05:44:03 PM »
Looking ahead to next Wednesday 4/6, episode 176 will be skipped.  It would have originally aired on January 9, 1980.

If 177 has a different champion to start, than whoever it was at the end of 175, that'll be a bit of a red flag.

That Don Guy

« Reply #455 on: March 30, 2022, 03:04:59 PM »

Where are you getting listings with original airdates on them? The Buzzrtv.com link I have doesn't have the dates.

Also, anybody with Xfinity that saved the early episodes might want to check their "scheduled recordings" to make sure you are getting them; for some reason, the listings say that they went back to episode 3 as of 3/28, and a scheduled recording won't record an episode it thinks is already there.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #456 on: March 30, 2022, 04:05:37 PM »

Where are you getting listings with original airdates on them? The Buzzrtv.com link I have doesn't have the dates.
Calendars are amazing.

Bryce L.

« Reply #457 on: March 30, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »

Calendars are amazing.
Problem is, calendars don't help when

1) you know there's an upcoming mistake in them, and
2) you have no way of knowing where the mistake is until you reach it.

catnap1972

« Reply #458 on: March 30, 2022, 04:50:43 PM »
Was this the first time a player/team has exhausted the sixth level?

Bryce L.

« Reply #459 on: March 30, 2022, 04:50:52 PM »
I know this is a first for the episodes in the BUZZR rotation, but can anyone here recall someone losing by exhausting all three spaces on the sixth level?

Bryce L.

« Reply #460 on: March 30, 2022, 04:51:09 PM »
Was this the first time a player/team has exhausted the sixth level?
At least in BUZZR's episodes, yes. And first time period unless someone did it before episode 78.

gridlockjoe

« Reply #461 on: March 31, 2022, 10:05:11 AM »

Calendars are amazing.

Contemporary TV Guides and newspaper TV listings. This is how we know when pre-emptions occur for "Magazine", and regional pre-emptions for live coverage of the Papal visit (#112 was pre-empted in PDT 10/2/79, and #113 was pre-empted in EDT and CDT 10/3/79).

Bryce L.

« Reply #462 on: March 31, 2022, 10:59:19 AM »

Calendars are amazing.

Contemporary TV Guides and newspaper TV listings. This is how we know when pre-emptions occur for "Magazine", and regional pre-emptions for live coverage of the Papal visit (#112 was pre-empted in PDT 10/2/79, and #113 was pre-empted in EDT and CDT 10/3/79).
Maybe you can explain this one, then. The guide I'm sure most of us have been using lists the Betty White and Richard Kline shows as episodes #229 to #231. Back in January, when BUZZR aired its tribute to Betty, the schedules listed two of the Betty/Richard shows as #224 and #225. I'm at a loss to figure out where the mistake in the fan-compiled listings are, since I heavily doubt the actual master tapes of the show (which I'm sure is where BUZZR is pulling their episode numbers from) would be mislabeled like that.

That Don Guy

« Reply #463 on: March 31, 2022, 01:57:57 PM »

Calendars are amazing.

Let me clarify my original question: where are the listings that show which particular episodes are airing on Buzzr on particular days? For example, where can I find something that says that the 1/9/1980 episode isn't being aired by Buzzr?

And I think the 1/1/1980 pre-emption is game show related; didn't Bob Barker host CBS's Tournament of Roses Parade coverage back then? I definitely remember a TPIR New Year's Eve episode from the early 1980s that had the Rose Queen appear in a showcase, as CBS was plugging Barker hosting the parade coverage the next day.

gridlockjoe

« Reply #464 on: March 31, 2022, 02:42:51 PM »
And I think the 1/1/1980 pre-emption is game show related; didn't Bob Barker host CBS's Tournament of Roses Parade coverage back then? I definitely remember a TPIR New Year's Eve episode from the early 1980s that had the Rose Queen appear in a showcase, as CBS was plugging Barker hosting the parade coverage the next day.

There was no 1/1/80 show due to the Cotton Bowl parade in the East, and the Rose Parade in the West.