Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close calls....narrow escapes.....  (Read 124073 times)

TimK2003

Re: Close calls....narrow escapes.....
« Reply #375 on: November 05, 2021, 07:54:43 PM »
The Gauntlet losing streak hits 33*.  Today's champ gets to 9 (the most anybody has gotten in that streak by two, among shows that aired), with time running out on a blooper about the Flintstones' neighbors last name.

*33 if there was a Gauntlet loss on the unaired show 117, otherwise 32 of 33.  The gaps can be filled in on all other shows that haven't aired.  Today's show was episode 124.  The last Gauntlet win was on show 94.  The streak ends next week; show 127 from Lost and Found has a win.

Do we know that no episode in between had a win? 

One way to know what happened on 117 is if 118 had a returning champion, no?

Yes, we know that 122 didn't have a win because the champ crowned at the end of 121 returned for 123.  Same with 101, also skipped.

The champ at the start of 118 was the guy who busted his knee.  He wasn't on at the end of 116.

So #117 was NOT aired?  I wonder if it was because Stephen (and/or Tom) mentioned what his Private Eye "nickname" was.  Let's just say nowadays, if whoever said it did it in a taping today, it definitely would have been edited out.

It makes sense, as they never uttered his nickname in eps #118 & 119.

With all that being said,, there IS a chance that we may never see his triumphant return to the show beginning with his belated Gauntlet run if his nickname was mentioned again in that yet to air episode. 

I only remember being at home seeing only 2 of his episodes first run 40- some years ago -- the days he messed up his knee and when Stephen returned for his 3rd run of the Gauntlet.  Hopefully they will air that episode(s), and MUTE any reference(s) to his nickname, if there were any.

JMFabiano

« Reply #376 on: November 05, 2021, 09:34:38 PM »
Do you by any chance remember how long it took for him to return?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TimK2003

« Reply #377 on: November 05, 2021, 10:54:54 PM »

Based on being in Jr. High at the time, either the long Thanksgiving weekend or Christmas Break, so whatever episodes that aired around those times.

JMFabiano

« Reply #378 on: November 05, 2021, 11:01:57 PM »

Based on being in Jr. High at the time, either the long Thanksgiving weekend or Christmas Break, so whatever episodes that aired around those times.

So the people who speculated that it happened amidst Celebrity Whew! were correct.  Sadly, until Buzzr gets more fresh episodes, we won't see for awhile

As for your theory...well, I am sure you don't want the word referenced publicly.  I guess we could talk about it in PMs if you'd like. 

EDIT: Never mind, I was just told by someone in another forum.

EDIT x 2: And yikes.

EDIT x 3: Buzzr has shown episodes that once had badly-aging words, only they bleep them out.  What determines if they just mute, or cut the episode altogether?  Or were they tired of complaints about muting out words and decided to throw out the baby with the bathwater?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 11:30:06 AM by JMFabiano »

Bryce L.

« Reply #379 on: November 05, 2021, 11:15:45 PM »
So the people who speculated that it happened amidst Celebrity Whew! were correct.
Not necessarily. The way I'd heard it, the Celebrity Whew format originally lasted three weeks, then there was a week of "normal" (no celeb) shows, then the stars became a permanent feature. For all we know, he could've come back during that final week of solo player shows.

TimK2003

« Reply #380 on: November 06, 2021, 10:37:02 AM »
When Stephen returned to pick up from.his 3rd Gauntlet run, he definitely did it solo -- no celeb tag team. 

I forgot Buzzr is going back to earlier episodes again, so it may be a while before we see a definitive answer.

I thought it was just me (playing at home, my best Gauntlet run was getting through 9 villans a couple of times), but I never remembered how hard it was to win the $25,000 at this point in the show.

Offshored2007

« Reply #381 on: November 06, 2021, 11:08:22 AM »
So the people who speculated that it happened amidst Celebrity Whew! were correct.
Not necessarily. The way I'd heard it, the Celebrity Whew format originally lasted three weeks, then there was a week of "normal" (no celeb) shows, then the stars became a permanent feature. For all we know, he could've come back during that final week of solo player shows.
The last two runs, I would have won the money. Whether my 18 year old version watching in college would have...

gridlockjoe

« Reply #382 on: November 06, 2021, 08:13:15 PM »
When Stephen returned to pick up from.his 3rd Gauntlet run, he definitely did it solo -- no celeb tag team. 

Is it possible he returned during a celebrity week, but they let him run the gauntlet solo, because those were the rules when he was playing?

gridlockjoe

« Reply #383 on: November 08, 2021, 09:36:49 PM »
Looks like Eddie Bruce is still in the orchestra business.

TimK2003

« Reply #384 on: November 08, 2021, 11:33:54 PM »
I also noticed that within the last few episodes, they've killed off the sfx of the Charger "running" and opening/closing the door.

Bryce L.

« Reply #385 on: November 09, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
THE DROUGHT IS OVER!

Ryanmo97

« Reply #386 on: November 09, 2021, 04:46:45 PM »
THE DROUGHT IS OVER!
And it was very close too!

JMFabiano

« Reply #387 on: November 10, 2021, 07:24:19 AM »
THE DROUGHT IS OVER!
And it was very close too!

So assuming this was one of the episodes around the Hugh one from Lost and Found, that means...two in a row?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #388 on: November 10, 2021, 11:26:07 AM »
So assuming this was one of the episodes around the Hugh one from Lost and Found, that means...two in a row?
Two straight shows, but 2 of 3 Gauntlets.  127 started with a Gauntlet loss.

gridlockjoe

« Reply #389 on: November 10, 2021, 09:42:18 PM »
I want to know if Tom Kennedy’s matchmaking worked with Kathy and Richard.