Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close calls....narrow escapes.....  (Read 124060 times)

gridlockjoe

Re: Close calls....narrow escapes.....
« Reply #270 on: October 07, 2021, 09:41:39 PM »
Tape quality or content.
[/quote]

After seeing 102, I’m inclined to believe tape quality. I’m surprised it made it to airwith the blooming and interference at the beginning of Terry’s Gauntlet. If they were stored together…

gamed121683

« Reply #271 on: October 08, 2021, 05:24:45 PM »
Is it just on my end or did today's episode of Whew! on Buzzr (10/8) have some audio problems?

WhammyPower

« Reply #272 on: October 08, 2021, 06:10:35 PM »
It seemed fine to me. What was displayed on the Telly Bellys prior to the Gauntlet, however...

Nick

« Reply #273 on: October 09, 2021, 03:07:52 PM »
A-100 D was an insane episode.  Robin Edison was one of the strongest players this game has seen since Randy Amasia and before Steve Leblang.  In her first round of charging, she plays unconventionally by taking middle path up the board and hits only one block on the way; but her charging in the tiebreaker is where she really shined.

Were the waiting contestants in the green room able to see the tapings in progress?  If they were, she had to have been watching all of John's other games to know he would most certainly employ the "dragnet" approach on the blocks that once she got around them, she knew she could simply take the easy path up the board.  She never said dollars in all her charges because she knows it saves her precious seconds, and it worked big time.  Despite hitting two blocks between the first two levels, she gets to Level 6 with 12 seconds on the clock and goes straight for the $500, but it's blocked.  Dashes to the $200 once she's free and wins on the "times up" call.

That, and you see how she tenses up the moment the blooper is revealed and is looking straight at the punchline, and she's monitoring the clock between calls to know how much time she has.  Absolutely stellar game.

And I didn't even mention how the charger won all three rounds played, no Longshots were called and the Gauntlet was done in 61 seconds that it left a whole two minutes to fill with banter in act 5 before the credit roll.
  That's living up to your name of Whew!, all right.

I really hope the tape issues on the next episode are resolved at some point because I really want to see what happened next after an episode that good!

It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

tvmitch

« Reply #274 on: October 10, 2021, 09:21:31 AM »
No spoilers here, but from what I can gather, the folks in "contestant's row" were almost certainly able to watch the show as it taped. Right? Did they sit in the audience?

If that is true, that proved to be a significant advantage for several challengers we've seen so far. Between the ability to watch the champion's game play, and the ability to pick the categories for the first two rounds, the Challenger definitely entered with an advantage.

Is it common on other game shows to have incoming contestants sit in the audience or watch the proceedings from a green room? I haven't been to a taping of J! before...is that how it works there?
You should follow me on Twitter

Nick

« Reply #275 on: October 10, 2021, 10:21:24 AM »
No spoilers here, but from what I can gather, the folks in "contestant's row" were almost certainly able to watch the show as it taped. Right? Did they sit in the audience?

I just went and reread from Randy's Big Adventure that he and the other waiting contestants could indeed see the tapings in progress from the green room (which apparently was Bob Barker's dressing room).

/Totally off topic, but does anybody still have the MIDI version of the Whew! theme that used to play on Randy's website?  It just seems so strange without it playing underneath the homepage.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Casey

« Reply #276 on: October 10, 2021, 02:08:40 PM »
Is it common on other game shows to have incoming contestants sit in the audience or watch the proceedings from a green room? I haven't been to a taping of J! before...is that how it works there?

I seem to recall Blockbusters taking an audience shot one time and showed potential contestants with name tags sitting in the audience.  I also remember Bert Convy making a reference to the contestants sitting in the audience a few times as well during Super Password. 

SuperMatch93

« Reply #277 on: October 10, 2021, 02:25:21 PM »
/Totally off topic, but does anybody still have the MIDI version of the Whew! theme that used to play on Randy's website?  It just seems so strange without it playing underneath the homepage.

The Wayback Machine has it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 02:39:35 PM by SuperMatch93 »
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TimK2003

« Reply #278 on: October 10, 2021, 02:58:12 PM »

I seem to recall Blockbusters taking an audience shot one time and showed potential contestants with name tags sitting in the audience.  I also remember Bert Convy making a reference to the contestants sitting in the audience a few times as well during Super Password.

Out of the several show tapings I have been to over the decades, I can only remember Super Password having their "contestant pool"  seated in the first one or two rows in the audience, and seeing somebody select the next contestant(s) right before they were called into the game.

I want to say that was the case for John Davidson's Hollywood Squares as well (which was shot just across the hall at the time at NBC), but I'm not 100% sure.

Nick

« Reply #279 on: October 10, 2021, 03:37:28 PM »
The Wayback Machine has it.

That sounds more like it!  Mucho gracias.

"Ain’t nothing like the real thing, baby."

BrandonFG

« Reply #280 on: October 10, 2021, 04:03:01 PM »
And of course it's not compatible with QuickTime. I can hear the MIDI theme playing in my head...that takes me back.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #281 on: October 10, 2021, 06:28:52 PM »
MGHS also placed its upcoming contestants in the audience.

From everything I've read, it seems like Jeopardy! sat its contestants in the audience pre-2020 -- did Wheel do the same?

Letting future contestants sit in the audience is not a common practice in this day and age -- I assume because it's easier to monitor everybody when they're in the same controlled space like a green room. I don't know whether there's usually a studio feed being pumped into the green room or whether the goal is to keep the contestants well and truly isolated from the game.

Social distancing regulations have done away with shared contestant waiting areas for the time being, but I'd be curious to hear anecdotes from people who were contestants on shows in the 2010s. Were you allowed to watch the taping while you waited? I'd also be interested in learning whether there's a difference in practices between shows that take two or three hours to tape an episode versus shows that try to progress closer to real time.

(Should this be its own thread on the main board?)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #282 on: October 10, 2021, 09:35:30 PM »
And of course it's not compatible with QuickTime. I can hear the MIDI theme playing in my head...that takes me back.

I threw it onto onlinesequencer.net and messed with it for about 3 minutes.   If you don't like my instrument choices, jump into edit mode and tweak it to your taste.

https://onlinesequencer.net/2306009
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #283 on: October 11, 2021, 01:09:08 AM »
I was a contestant on the short-lived Mall Masters at Mall of America GSN original, taped in the fall of 2000. While it may have had to do with the show being pretty low-budget and not shot in a traditional TV studio, the future contestants were the audience and sat just behind the cameras watching episodes being taped. Since there were only a dozen or so of us, the majority of the audience sounds heard on the show were added in post-production.

Since there were no returning champions, the only benefit we got out of seeing other episodes tape while we waited for our turn was to get a better idea of the structure of the show.

SuperSweeper

« Reply #284 on: October 11, 2021, 07:13:11 AM »
I am having a very hard time quoting on my phone, but yes, the other Wheel of Fortune contestants do sit in the audience (and still do - they’re currently the only people there during an episode).