Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Close calls....narrow escapes.....  (Read 125598 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Re: Close calls....narrow escapes.....
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2021, 04:50:27 PM »
The next two shows (Friday 9/17 and Monday 9/20) are shows we know all too well with our dear, departed friend Randy Amasia.

Anyone: Does Randy's old fanpage still exist somewhere other than Wayback? I spent a couple minutes looking without success, and then I got lazy and decided just to ask here. :)
I wanted to add onto Adam's response that Kris Lane and I are going to be updating it more often because of the reruns.  We're looking to add more pages and fresher images, while keeping Randy's handiwork intact.

BrandonFG

« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2021, 05:03:38 PM »
I gotta admit I got a kick out of this clue:

"ON THE COMIC STRIP 'PEANUTS', LUCY VAN PELT IS OBSESSED WITH SEX."

And for those keeping track, Rod did plug TPiR during the closing.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2021, 05:05:22 PM »
Good episode.

Somehow it never occurred to me the new contestant had a pretty good advantage being the blocker twice in a two-out-of-three match since they'd already seen the champion's charging tendencies.

BillCullen1

« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2021, 05:09:00 PM »
The next two shows (Friday 9/17 and Monday 9/20) are shows we know all too well with our dear, departed friend Randy Amasia.

Greg and myself went down into our archive and found that we had a great copy of his first show tucked away. It had a surprise that I was actually curious to see - the 5 minute CBS Mid-Morning News that aired after Whew!

I clipped it out and put it up for everyone to see if you'd like:

So that's why they always have that real long commercial for Car Shield at the end, to fill the gap. By the way, Douglas Edwards was the CBS anchor before Walter Cronkite took over in 1962.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:15:36 PM by BillCullen1 »

nowhammies10

« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2021, 05:12:43 PM »

I'm surprised they didn't make any edits to the clue about portable radios being powered by little transvestites.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2021, 05:16:22 PM »

Greg and myself went down into our archive and found that we had a great copy of his first show tucked away. It had a surprise that I was actually curious to see - the 5 minute CBS Mid-Morning News that aired after Whew!

I clipped it out and put it up for everyone to see if you'd like:

Just for completeness, here's the rest of that PIR (albeit from GSN):

BrandonFG

« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2021, 05:30:55 PM »

I'm surprised they didn't make any edits to the clue about portable radios being powered by little transvestites.
Forgot about that one. That caught me a little off-guard as well.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Chief-O

« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2021, 05:36:22 PM »

They have been leaving those plugs alone most of/all(?) week.
.....and it goes like this!!!

Allstar87

« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2021, 07:03:12 PM »

There've been quite a few bloopers that I'm surprised Buzzr let fly...maybe the censoring doesn't apply to Whew, for some reason? Or maybe they're just singling out midgets. -shrug-

TimK2003

« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2021, 07:14:19 PM »

Too bad they had to edit out today's contestant tryout plug.  Rod had such a hard time getting through it.

That contestant clip is around the 4:30 mark here:

BillCullen1

« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2021, 09:54:54 PM »

Forgot about that one. That caught me a little off-guard as well.

I got a chuckle out of The Wright Brothers making their first daring flight over Kitty CARLISLE.

gamed121683

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2021, 11:17:00 PM »

Too bad they had to edit out today's contestant tryout plug.  Rod had such a hard time getting through it.

That contestant clip is around the 4:30 mark here:

...and for those of you looking for a slightly better copy of not just the contestant plug in question (at the 4:44 mark), but the entire episode (ads & all), look no further than here.

thomas_meighan

« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2021, 03:01:49 PM »
Here's a note for the good of the order.

The NYT gave details as to network coverage of the pope's visit to NYC in the following article, which helps to clear up what was pre-empted at the network level:
https://www.nytimes.com/1979/10/03/archives/itinerary-today-in-new-york-and-philadelphia-tv-coverage.html

The NYC stations gave more extensive coverage than the networks did. NBC started at 10:15 eastern while ABC and CBS started closer to 10:45. Network coverage likely ended in the neighborhood of 11:30 to noon.

So for the CBS games on the Eastern/Central feed, "Beat the Clock" aired as normal, approximately half of "Whew!" was pre-empted, and (per the FAQ at golden-road.net) a half-hour rerun of TPIR from 1977 was used to fill that slot.

For the "Whew!" episode guide, the celebrity episodes indeed start at #134 on 11-5-1979. All airdates and non-airdates (due to "Magazine" or holiday programming) should now be resolved at least until March 1980, when we have the anomalous Betty White/Richard Kline week that TV Guide only listed for three episodes. Time will tell whether it was a shorter week or the listings were wrong...

Bryce L.

« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2021, 04:32:56 PM »
OK where the hell is Randy?!

catnap1972

« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2021, 04:40:23 PM »
At least 2 eps were skipped, and their commercial timing is off as well.