The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Concentration staff/audience info?

(1/5) > >>

Argo:
Hi Everyone,

As Classic Concentration has resurfaced and the few episodes of Narz Concentration on Wink's channel, I was wondering if anyone here has any first hand or any hand knowledge of tapings.

I assume Concentration was much like WOF, where the home audience was much bigger than the studio audience. NBC no doubt sweetened Classic Concentration with their standard canned applause, but how big were the real audiences? I understand not all game shows can be exciting hits as TPIR or Match Game, but small audiences must affect host performance do a point.

I found it much more evident on the later Narz Concentration episodes that were uploaded. It looked like everyone, including lighting and applause sweetening staff just gave up on the series. Early episodes were bright and vibrant, with the usual applause, but later episodes were very dark, with lots of shadows and little to no sweetening. Was there limited audience space in the studios, could they just not get many to come see the show in person or did they know they were cancelled by this point and were just going through the motions? ? Jack was very professional in all his shows, but in the shows that did surface he didn't seem to have much excitement compared to the episodes from just a few years prior. He did a great job no doubt, but the whole thing definitely felt more "intimate", almost cable access, or small, local market stuff, instead of 'from Hollywood".

JakeT:

--- Quote from: Argo on February 16, 2019, 10:06:43 PM ---I assume Concentration was much like WOF, where the home audience was much bigger than the studio audience. NBC no doubt sweetened Classic Concentration with their standard canned applause, but how big were the real audiences? I understand not all game shows can be exciting hits as TPIR or Match Game, but small audiences must affect host performance do a point.

--- End quote ---

Uhhhhhh, isn't it a rather safe bet that virtually every home audience for a TV show was exponentially bigger than any studio audience?

I mean..

JakeT

carlisle96:
I was at a Classic Concentration taping. It was a pretty unspectacular experience. The audience was sparse -- maybe about 150 people, the studio small and dark, and Trebek didn't interact with the audience during the commercials, he wandered off by himself, until he discovered a group of teenage Japanese schoolgirls in the audience...then he became more intrigued.

Kevin Prather:

--- Quote from: Argo on February 16, 2019, 10:06:43 PM ---I assume Concentration was much like WOF, where the home audience was much bigger than the studio audience.

--- End quote ---

Strikerz04:

--- Quote from: JakeT on February 16, 2019, 11:45:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Argo on February 16, 2019, 10:06:43 PM ---I assume Concentration was much like WOF, where the home audience was much bigger than the studio audience. NBC no doubt sweetened Classic Concentration with their standard canned applause, but how big were the real audiences? I understand not all game shows can be exciting hits as TPIR or Match Game, but small audiences must affect host performance do a point.

--- End quote ---

Uhhhhhh, isn't it a rather safe bet that virtually every home audience for a TV show was exponentially bigger than any studio audience?

I mean..

JakeT

--- End quote ---

You aren’t wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version