Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndicated game shows that were uncleared in major markets  (Read 31566 times)

johnnya2k3

Re: Syndicated game shows that were uncleared in major markets
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »
Though not necessarily a major market, I remember New Orleans (currently #51) clearing all the new game shows that came and went in 1990; all of them, except Quiz Kids Challenge!

johnnya2k3

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2015, 04:31:02 PM »
UPDATE: Just looked at one week's listings from 1984 and found out that Anything For Money did air here in Atlanta as well...on WATL weeknights at 11:00 before moving it to 6:00 pm halfway into the season (opposite the news on WSB, WAGA, and WXIA)!!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:28:22 PM by johnnya2k3 »

Jamey Greek

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2015, 09:31:26 PM »
What about the others from 1984?  Like NTT

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2015, 03:16:23 AM »
What about the others from 1984?  Like NTT

New York had it for certain and if the airing pattern is any indication they had no idea what to do with it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

johnnya2k3

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2015, 04:04:25 PM »
Like I said at the beginning of this thread, Every Second Counts wasn't cleared in Phoenix -- Los Angeles was the closest market with it -- but the other shows did including that god-awful Guilty Or Innocent.

IIRC, KTSP (KSAZ) had Anything For Money, Jeopardy, and All-New LMAD while Name That Tune (Jim Lange) was on KTVK (I moved back to Alaska around the time they got Sale of the Century).

In addition to AFM, Atlantans saw LMAD on WSB (same station as the '70s nighttime version; 1980-81 was on WGCL as previously mentioned), Name That Tune was only Saturdays on WXIA (they probably showed a winning episode from the week), and no need discussing Jeopardy's history here. Every Second Counts? They had to get somebody from Birmingham, Chattanooga, or Greenville to tape it for them; unsure about Macon, Savannah, or Augusta.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:05:57 AM by johnnya2k3 »

johnnya2k3

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2015, 03:46:26 PM »
Another syndie show that also didn't clear Atlanta: The Cheap Show.

The following year, Mindreaders would get uncleared on the network side, meaning Dick Martin fans here were better off with "Laugh-In" instead (half-hour reruns would be syndicated in 1983).

And "Yahtzee" (with Peter Marshall)? Unless I'm proven wrong, Atlanta also said "HELL NO!!" to it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:39:07 PM by johnnya2k3 »

johnnya2k3

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »
I don't know about the weekly syndie Jeopardy but if I'm not mistaken the Metromedia stations picked up everything the parent company distributed, so I would bet yes and that WNEW carried it
Actually, the nighttime Fleming Jeopardy was on the then-NBC O&Os WNBC (New York), KNBC (Los Angeles), WRC (Washington), and WKYC (Cleveland, now Tegna-owned) all at 7:30 pm to go along with the daytime show; WMAQ in Chicago  -- and as mentioned, the Chicago market itself -- turned it down.

aaron sica

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2016, 12:19:26 PM »
WMAQ in Chicago  -- and as mentioned, the Chicago market itself -- turned it down.

If it was mentioned, why did you mention it again?

johnnya2k3

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2016, 02:22:13 AM »
WMAQ in Chicago  -- and as mentioned, the Chicago market itself -- turned it down.

If it was mentioned, why did you mention it again?
As a refresher.

But either WMAQ could've slotted nighttime Jeopardy on the weekends or WFLD or maybe WCIU picked it up (WGN at the time wasn't game show-friendly); the closest market to Chicago that cleared it, I think, was Milwaukee.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »
Sorry for the bump; according to a Facebook post, the nighttime TPIR with Tom Kennedy never cleared Boston as well (Doug Davidson’s was on WBZ).