Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 376381 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #810 on: March 08, 2022, 11:03:05 PM »
Just bought the Millionaire home game made by Ginger Fox, who have become the go-to manufacturers of UK game show home games. UK rules apply to the US box version, with a 12 step money ladder and the “set your second safe haven” rule.

The game comes with what looks like an equal number of cards for each money ladder step. Rules say that everyone plays the same question at the money level of the leading player, so I could see most people burning through the top third of the in-box questions fairly quickly. Obviously you don’t have to play that way, but I’d imagine this game is more fun by playing with others than as a solo effort.

Every question card has a QR code if you want to use your smartphone for lifelines, but there are non-digital ways to handle them as well. The digital options are not necessary, but they’re nice to have. Would have been more impactful to have a Gamestar-like digital component with cues and the 30 second Phone A Friend clock.

It’s a pretty good effort overall- would love to see Ginger Fox port over their box version of The Chase.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Bob Zager

« Reply #811 on: March 10, 2022, 04:22:00 PM »
would love to see Ginger Fox port over their box version of The Chase.

Well, to the best of my knowledge, Ginger Fox has a CARD game version of the British version, now known as "Beat the Chasers."  The board game in the UK is from Ideal/John Adams Games.  I don't know about any US version in the works, but we've seen surprises pop up occasionally, so can't rule out anything right now.

BTW, a couple of sources have mentioned there is soon going to be another FF board game, subtitled "Funniest Ever Questions."  No pics or details, as of now.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #812 on: April 02, 2022, 02:28:43 PM »
Over on Etsy, there are a couple different users selling their game show software, covering a pretty decent range from Family Feud to Scrabble to Millionaire, with some deeper cuts thrown in here and there. That said, be prepared to pay a premium, as most are between $60 and $100.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GameShowStudio?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1170927761
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GreggosGameShows?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=712576206
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #813 on: April 04, 2022, 11:17:39 AM »
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GreggosGameShows?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=712576206

It's not that I'm not impressed.  I am, really.   But how much of a demand is there, honestly, for Three on a Match presentation software?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

nowhammies10

« Reply #814 on: April 04, 2022, 03:55:45 PM »

It's not that I'm not impressed.  I am, really.   But how much of a demand is there, honestly, for Three on a Match presentation software?

As someone who's been putting on game shows at conventions for over a decade now, I love bringing out classic, under-represented games as a counterpoint to the usual Jeopardy! and Family Feud affairs. Three on a Match would fit in well as a game that's rather simple to explain, yet has a different enough strategy than what your average con-goer is used to in game shows on the air today.

ETA: You get 10 people cosplaying as anime/video game villains standing in a line, you've got an impressive live endgame for Whew!.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 04:10:51 PM by nowhammies10 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #815 on: April 04, 2022, 04:48:43 PM »
As someone who's been putting on game shows at conventions for over a decade now, I love bringing out classic, under-represented games as a counterpoint to the usual Jeopardy! and Family Feud affairs.

But -- honest, non-snarky question -- do conventiongoers end up loving classic, under-represented games? I think, eventually, some convention hosts can get to be a "brand", and whatever they put under their banner can get some eyeballs. But I also recall several Greggo uploads on YouTube where he wasn't shy about saying how few people were in the audience.

There's also the rub that, with the right convention celebrities playing, people come to see them, regardless of what game they're playing. So you can get away with something like Body Language, where the title has less marquee value.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

nowhammies10

« Reply #816 on: April 04, 2022, 05:05:10 PM »
But -- honest, non-snarky question -- do conventiongoers end up loving classic, under-represented games? I think, eventually, some convention hosts can get to be a "brand", and whatever they put under their banner can get some eyeballs.

I'm lucky to be a part of one of those "brands" known for quality programming at our home con and cons throughout the greater Toronto area. To answer your question, some of them get more eyeballs than others, to be sure. A decade ago, Press Your Luck was a dormant franchise whose most recent revival on cable bore little resemblance to the original program on which it was based. Doing it over the course of a few years grew the audience, and people in the audience got used to the fun of chanting and offering advice to the players on stage.

I'm also lucky in that our team gets to use a smaller, one-night-only "baby sister" convention as something of a testing ground for gauging audience reactions to those under-the-radar game shows. In the last year pre-COVID, I had almost 100 people in the audience (a near-full room) for a game of Whew! in which the players couldn't read the bloopers on-screen, with the Gauntlet rendered as 10 numbered arches. We're still talking about bringing it back to the main convention.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #817 on: April 04, 2022, 05:40:15 PM »
Three on a Match would fit in well as a game that's rather simple to explain,

You lost me.

Now that it's possible to once again gather with small groups of vaccinated people, I've recently attended a couple of game show–themed game nights in which a not insignificant portion (roughly one-third?) of the attendees were a) new to the gathering and b) not as well versed in the genre. And what we've quickly discovered is that for the uninitiated, Family Feud and Match Game have been easily the most well received games. Some people are willing to try some of the other games -- sometimes after seeing the veterans play an "episode" -- but when we play those two, that's when you can tell everybody's having the most fun.

nowhammies10

« Reply #818 on: April 04, 2022, 07:29:57 PM »
[For] the uninitiated, Family Feud and Match Game have been easily the most well received games. Some people are willing to try some of the other games -- sometimes after seeing the veterans play an "episode" -- but when we play those two, that's when you can tell everybody's having the most fun.

And that's also why year after year we do both of those games at our home con. Hell, the plan for 2020 before, y'know, *gestures wildly at everything*, was to revamp Match Game into MGHSH, except actually do it right and write jokes and bluffs for the "celebs".

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #819 on: April 04, 2022, 08:06:31 PM »
But -- honest, non-snarky question -- do conventiongoers end up loving classic, under-represented games?
Conventiongoer, yes. Conventiongoers less likely. That being said, my motives for making a game for me to present are slightly different than making a game for public use.
This signature is currently under construction.

Bob Zager

« Reply #820 on: April 13, 2022, 01:30:32 PM »
When you go to https://buzzrtv.com/play, they now have Card Sharks, Family Feud, and Plinko Pegs for play on your computer.  CS plays like the main game of the ABC revival, but no Money Cards bonus round.  Family Feud is a lot the same, with some fun scoring twists, and when I played Plinko Pegs, it felt more like a pinball game simulator, with no flippers.  Of course, Plinko is based on Pachinko pinball, but check it out, and you'll see what I mean.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #821 on: April 13, 2022, 02:52:55 PM »
and when I played Plinko Pegs, it felt more like a pinball game simulator, with no flippers.  Of course, Plinko is based on Pachinko pinball, but check it out, and you'll see what I mean.

Lemme guess, Peggle.

<click>

surprisingly, not Peggle!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bwood

« Reply #822 on: April 13, 2022, 03:12:54 PM »
The CS game has the Money Cards but you have to select it separately. It is it's own entity. I prefer playing on www.arkadium.com which is where the Buzzr games are from. I love Plinko Pegs. They've been out quite some time.

Bob Zager

« Reply #823 on: April 14, 2022, 06:38:57 PM »
I found something new at amazon.com, with an October 4 release date:

https://www.amazon.com/Jeopardy-Game-Tin-Classic-Questions/dp/183852889X/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2JACG17UHZ09V&keywords=%22jeopardy%22&qid=1649974282&sprefix=jeopardy+%2Caps%2C73&sr=8-9

Edited:  The Jeopardy! game tin is the only one I found at amazon.com, however there have been similar ones in the UK, including WOF, TPIR, Blankety Blank (aka MG in USA) and Play Your Cards Right (CS in USA).  Wonder if any of them will be available here, (let alone WOF, for its 40th season).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 06:53:41 PM by Bob Zager »

Bob Zager

« Reply #824 on: April 14, 2022, 06:55:16 PM »
The CS game has the Money Cards but you have to select it separately. It is it's own entity. I prefer playing on www.arkadium.com which is where the Buzzr games are from. I love Plinko Pegs. They've been out quite some time.

Well, maybe just the main game if you go to buzzrtv's website.  That's all I've been able to do, so far.