Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 376108 times)

Bob Zager

Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #600 on: July 31, 2020, 07:29:59 PM »
Earlier today I was in my local Barnes & Noble Bookseller store.  I asked the clerk about the "Card Sharks," game, and they told me their computer showed they have it at the warehouse.  She was kind enough to place an order for the game to their location, and took my name and phone number.  The clerk said the game might arrive next week, and she'd give me call when it comes in.

In the meantime, you can go to the B&N website, and either check on the store's stock status, or even order it online yourself.

snowpeck

« Reply #601 on: July 31, 2020, 07:37:13 PM »
Earlier today I was in my local Barnes & Noble Bookseller store.  I asked the clerk about the "Card Sharks," game, and they told me their computer showed they have it at the warehouse.  She was kind enough to place an order for the game to their location, and took my name and phone number.  The clerk said the game might arrive next week, and she'd give me call when it comes in.

In the meantime, you can go to the B&N website, and either check on the store's stock status, or even order it online yourself.
B&N isn't showing it as available within 100 miles of my location, but it does show as available to buy online and have shipped.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Sodboy13

« Reply #602 on: July 31, 2020, 10:23:48 PM »
Maybe manufacturing quality took a dip when they mass produced it.

Demo video on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8_li1Xh3fv/?igshid=2ixd71cej2cm

Mine arrived today, and my suspicion is confirmed. That Instagram video is of a wooden board. The retail product is a heavy cardboard/pressboard with a glossy woodgrain print.

Cardboard warps and bends a whole lot more easily than a similar wood product. I could see the curve and resulting gap from the bottom half as soon as I assembled it. Tried Jason's strips of index card, and that brought my failure rate down from about 90% to about 50%. Then I moved the board and had to make the adjustments all over again.

Another failing of the cheaper board: when the edge of the metal chip hits the bowing edge of the bottom board, it dents right into the softer, unfinished edge, and good luck getting that back to perfectly smooth.

As Adam said, if you get a good batch of pieces and the assembly just right, boy, you've got a nifty-looking Plinko board, now please don't touch it. I have two boys, just shy of ages 7 and 5. Target is getting a return.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Sodboy13

« Reply #603 on: July 31, 2020, 10:25:25 PM »
(double post, deleted)
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Bob Zager

« Reply #604 on: August 01, 2020, 03:58:46 PM »
WWTBAM is going to get new video games for varying consoles in Europe and the U.S., in October and November, respectively:

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/the-new-who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-game-has-a-100-player-mode-599036.phtml

I would also like to see new home box game versions, or even mini travel versions of the show!

One thing I do not understand is why several European nations (including France, Germany, Italy, and U.K.) have released home versions of "The Wall," and the U.S. still hasn't.  Considering the popularity of the show, as well as being originally created in the U.S., I wonder what gives?

While on the subject--I wonder if some/all local stations who carried "America Says," starting last fall, may have gotten sample prototype copies of the rumored "home board game," and it was never mass-marketed.

Neumms

« Reply #605 on: August 02, 2020, 04:04:05 PM »
One thing I do not understand is why several European nations (including France, Germany, Italy, and U.K.) have released home versions of "The Wall," and the U.S. still hasn't.

You could always buy the crummy Plinko board.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #606 on: August 02, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »
Target is doing their annual game section reset, which means many of the new games from last year, like one of the Bob Ross games and the Kenny G game, are now on clearance.  Using Target's site for DPCI numbers/UPCs, then searching inventories through Brickseek will point you in the right direction.

Match-O-Rama looks to be the home game version of It's Anybody's Guess that nobody thought they needed.
This was a game I got for $6 yesterday.  The questions are straight-forward like from the original The Match Game.  The game play is "predict how many people to your right it will take to match your answer," with points dependent on how many people you think you will need.  As I mentioned on the socials, would I pay $20 for it?  No.  $6 though?  Sure.  Burger King can survive without my business for one day.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #607 on: August 02, 2020, 06:56:27 PM »
One thing I do not understand is why several European nations (including France, Germany, Italy, and U.K.) have released home versions of "The Wall," and the U.S. still hasn't.

You might want to count your blessings. Based on video I've seen of other home versions, the home version is basically a Plinko board with no suspense.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

JepMasta

« Reply #608 on: August 04, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »
I ordered my Card Sharks game a few days ago, should be here my thursday.  Does anyone already have it? If so, what is it like?

Bob Zager

« Reply #609 on: August 05, 2020, 07:33:45 PM »
I ordered my Card Sharks game a few days ago, should be here my thursday.  Does anyone already have it? If so, what is it like?

A few hours ago, my local Barnes & Noble called and told me they got the copy they ordered me.  I thought of waiting 'til tomorrow to pick it up, but went ahead and drove there to buy it today!

Everything is like what's shown on EG's webpage!  There are cardboard chips you punch out to use in the Money Cards, and the backsides of the cards are designed just like the ones on the show!

As I'd mentioned in a previous post (just a few pages earlier), the question cards ARE just like what my hunch told me.  First look at them, you'd think they were the size of those used on the show!

All-in-all, I think everyone who buys it will be pleased!  If you want to play like the show, just deal out three extra cards, and your ready!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 06:09:13 PM by Bob Zager »

Bob Zager

« Reply #610 on: August 06, 2020, 07:13:00 PM »
While in my local Walmart store, I noticed they had forms attached to the game counter shelves with new layouts.  Although they had completed the transition, I noticed they're adding a new "Deal or No Deal" card game from Spin Master Games.  Priced at $3.97!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Deal-or-No-Deal-Game-Show-Jumbo-Card-Game-For-Families-and-Kids-Ages-8-and-up/483435567

Spin Master owns Cardinal Industries, which originally made the card game back in 2005.  Looks like some improvement was made with a special card to help with bank offers.  The original game just had bank offer cards you'd draw at random, and theoretically you could have drawn an offer exceeding the maximum amount left in play.

Bob Zager

« Reply #611 on: August 10, 2020, 07:12:35 PM »

tvwxman

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

vtown7

« Reply #613 on: August 10, 2020, 10:50:13 PM »
I just saw by accident that Walmart in Canada will be carrying exclusively a "Family Feud Canada" board game.  It will be available in both English and French language versions:

English

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/family-feud-canada-edition-party-quiz-board-game-for-families-and-kids-ages-8-and-up-walmart-exclusive/6000201672340

French

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/family-feud-canada-edition-party-quiz-board-game-for-families-and-kids-ages-8-and-up-walmart-exclusive/6000201685766

Pre-ordered them yesterday!  If memory serves this is the first time I've seen a simultaneous French/English release.  Interesting to see how the French one sells, given that French Canadian Family Feud ("La Guerre des Clans") put out a box game for both the 90s and 10s runs.

Ryan.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #614 on: August 12, 2020, 12:59:19 PM »
Check your local Walgreens for the Endless Games Jeopardy card games- at my mine, they were discounted to just over $3.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.