Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread  (Read 376430 times)

JakeT

Re: Game Show Home Games/Video Games Thread
« Reply #480 on: September 06, 2019, 10:19:24 PM »
The whole wonky cutoff sides of the backdrop is just wrong on many levels...

BTW, is this the first game show board game that is for ages 14+?

JakeT

Sodboy13

« Reply #481 on: September 06, 2019, 10:27:39 PM »
Studs, one of the fifty greatest game shows of all time, had a home game listed for ages 18 and over.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

bwood

« Reply #482 on: September 06, 2019, 10:30:09 PM »
The whole wonky cutoff sides of the backdrop is just wrong on many levels...

BTW, is this the first game show board game that is for ages 14+?

JakeT

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20084/studs

JakeT

« Reply #483 on: September 06, 2019, 10:31:43 PM »
Studs, one of the fifty greatest game shows of all time, had a home game listed for ages 18 and over.

Well, that reasonably makes sense...could even see the Newlywed/Dating games suggesting a higher age...

JakeT

Bob Zager

« Reply #484 on: September 07, 2019, 12:20:20 PM »
My original post mentioned the Deluxe Password and just about everything that was repeated above.  I guess the mention of the Pyramid home game led some to lose track of the Dlx Password game being mentioned.

I'm not an expert on marketing, but I would NOT be surprised if the cost for the Pyramid game is due, at least in part, to the game cards being printed in full color.

After looking at the photos of the contents, I'd also downgrade the game for needing to provide your own paper/pen/pencil to keep score, no "play money" like in most of the earlier editions, and vaguely worded instructions from what I could see.  Extra material, built in scoring devices, maybe a modern day adjustable countdown timer for both main game and end game (30 sec/60sec) would've been more reasonable.

I notice at the B&N site, that they say it includes DOZENS of puzzles--very, very misleading!

Another thing I noticed at amazon.com--Through a deal with Matty's Toy Stop (which makes special combination offers on EG games), you can get both the J! and WOF card games together for Reg. $24.95 on Sale for $19.99.  That doesn't make sense., since the EG website lists each individually for $6.99!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 09:20:28 PM by knagl »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #485 on: September 07, 2019, 12:25:27 PM »
The description posted here, unfortunately, is correct. 10 Main Games and 10 Winners Circles. Basically 5 true, tv-style games of Pyramid and you're done. That is the major flaw.

If that's a flaw, it's a flaw on the level of Endless only including a single pricer in their TPiR rehash.

One of the major defenses of the price of a board game is "hey, you pay $10 to go to a movie, right?"

At $2.50 a game, this is $10 for an hour of entertainment. At least a movie is two hours.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #486 on: September 07, 2019, 01:12:20 PM »

And it came with 312 Freaking (tm) Questions!
@lambertman

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #487 on: September 07, 2019, 06:26:50 PM »
While shopping for classroom supplies, I saw a set of 4 buzzers for sale.  Each makes a different sound; it is intended for elementary students.  $20 sounds like a reasonable price.  https://www.lakeshorelearning.com/products/teaching-resources/classroom-equipment/i-know-the-answer-game-buzzers/p/PP374

Also, on the page of the local affiliate carrying America Says, a home game is mentioned as in stores and online, though I have seen no evidence of a home game yet.  https://www.wbnx.com/shows/america-says

Sodboy13

« Reply #488 on: September 07, 2019, 06:50:29 PM »
I bought those buzzers for games with my boys, and they are quite nice for the price. You can get a set from Learning Resources for $12.79 on Amazon, or a light-up version for $16.60.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #489 on: September 07, 2019, 07:45:00 PM »
Are they connected and do they lockout or do you have to listen for which sound is first?
Travis L. Eberle

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #490 on: September 07, 2019, 07:58:20 PM »
Are they connected and do they lockout or do you have to listen for which sound is first?
From what I can tell, the latter.

Sodboy13

« Reply #491 on: September 07, 2019, 08:04:37 PM »
No connection or lockout, just simple sound or sound and light. So not necessarily good for the uses of most people on here, but nicely made, durable, and solid for kids.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #492 on: September 07, 2019, 09:20:44 PM »
Re: Bob Z: fair enough. Comments retracted.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

bwood

« Reply #493 on: September 07, 2019, 09:51:28 PM »

If that's a flaw, it's a flaw on the level of Endless only including a single pricer in their TPiR rehash.

One of the major defenses of the price of a board game is "hey, you pay $10 to go to a movie, right?"

At $2.50 a game, this is $10 for an hour of entertainment. At least a movie is two hours.

Funny you mention the Endless TPiR Pricer issue from about 20 years ago. I recently cleaned out a closet and found a manila envelope with some Pricers in it that they sent me after contacting them. They sent more than was needed (I think there were 6 or 8 ) but at least they made it right.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #494 on: September 08, 2019, 02:03:15 AM »
From what I can tell, the latter.
My parents bought a set to keep at their place for game nights when I visit during the holidays. It's strictly by ear, but the sounds are distinctive enough (car horn, door bell, etc.) that you can do that pretty easily.