Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barker to return to Price on December 12  (Read 42330 times)

cyclone45

Barker to return to Price on December 12
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »

Ernie!! I\'m shocked at you... We\'ve been friends for HOW long? And you treat me like THIS?? Anyway, the point I was TRYING to make was that Bob Barker ON STAGE...no one could touch him, just like my comparison. No one could host like him, and no one could wrestle like HBK either...but their backstage politics? Why invite trouble? You\'ve gotten the tyrant out of your lives, why invite him back in? Sure he\'s 90, but has he reformed or does he wanna take over politically again?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »

I love that your takeaway was \"Bill Cullen.\"

You must be new here.

This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »

No one could host like him,

I\'m possibly not alone in calling \"boolsh!\" on this particular fragment of sentence, unless you mean to take it literally.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 07:41:27 PM »

Ernie!! I\'m shocked at you... We\'ve been friends for HOW long? And you treat me like THIS?? Anyway, the point I was TRYING to make was that Bob Barker ON STAGE...no one could touch him, just like my comparison. No one could host like him, and no one could wrestle like HBK either...but their backstage politics? Why invite trouble? You\'ve gotten the tyrant out of your lives, why invite him back in? Sure he\'s 90, but has he reformed or does he wanna take over politically again?

1. Said \"tyrant\" retired.

2. Didn\'t most of the people that were there at the end of Barker\'s regime leave? At least the higher-ups...

3. You do realize, Barker came back to pimp his book a few years ago, and there were no problems right?

4. What difference does it really make? He\'s coming on the show, and all the ranting in the world isn\'t going to stop this.

Get out more, dude. You\'re reading way too much into it, and coming across as a Chicken Little right now. The average viewer does not hate him 1% as badly as you do...let it go.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cyclone45

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »

Because they\'re celebrating him like he\'s some kind of God! Why stroke his ego? Pimping a book is one thing, but to celebrate his 90th is just giving him an ego stroke he doesn\'t need.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2013, 07:53:52 PM »

Because they\'re celebrating him like he\'s some kind of God!

That\'s your opinion. I for one have not seen any references to idolatry.

Chill down there, guy.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »

(pinches bridge of nose)

I\'m going to break this down to you the best I can....hopefully I don\'t come across as too condescending. If I do, sorrynotsorry.

No...they don\'t have to do it. At all. And life would go on.

The man is turning 90...a milestone age that doesn\'t happen everyday. For a man who spent more than 1/3 of his life hosting this show, it\'s a nice gesture from the show. And after the mini-controversy that brewed from the 40th anniversary shows, perhaps they realize that 1) the potentially negative media spin is something they don\'t want*, and 2) the potentially positive media coverage they could get would be cool, esp. if someone wants to turn it into a \"water under the bridge\" thing stemming from last year. I think that\'s a longshot because no one but the geeks here care. Finally, it\'s one friggin episode...as much as I hate this argument, if it bothers you that much, skip over the episode that day...there\'s literally hundreds of other things you could watch at 11:00 am.

Just out of curiosity, did LMaD do a 90th celebration for Monty? I know he made a cameo appearance recently.

*Any press is good press blah blah blah

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:58:37 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2013, 08:05:22 PM »

Just out of curiosity, did LMaD do a 90th celebration for Monty? I know he made a cameo appearance recently.

Monty and Carol Merrill made an appearance back in March in honor of the show\'s 50th anniversary, and he was already 91 then.

Still, your point is more than valid.  Neither show has to do it, but for both shows, it\'s an easy publicity stunt that gains them attention and makes them look like they care about their past, whether they do or not.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2013, 08:25:40 PM »

Because they\'re celebrating him like he\'s some kind of God! Why stroke his ego? Pimping a book is one thing, but to celebrate his 90th is just giving him an ego stroke he doesn\'t need.

Of course, of course. They\'re doing way too much by saying \"Hey, thanks for driving the ship for so long.\"

There have been plenty of other people (with far bigger egos) who\'ve received far more recognition than a week long tribute on daytime television.

I\'m glad you\'re well educated on the things Barker has done in the past, but he\'s 90, and that \"stuff\" that\'s got you all riled up is almost 20 years behind us. Leave the past in the past, and let the old man celebrate a milestone. It\'s not like he\'s got a ton of spotlight anymore and it\'s not like he\'s got a ton left.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

cyclone45

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 09:11:13 PM »

I can\'t think of any bigger ego than Bob Barker, but go ahead. I\'ll bite.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »

I can\'t think of any bigger ego than Bob Barker

Then you are monumentally clueless about show business.

cyclone45

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 09:24:43 PM »

I was going to say, just because I don\'t know of one doesn\'t mean there isn\'t one.:)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 09:26:24 PM »

Perhaps it was better left unsaid.

There\'s a difference between being a hater and being hateful. Just sayin\'.

Do you (and by extension, Ernest) have a problem with the content, the message or both?

Both, as it was.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 09:29:07 PM »

I can\'t think of any bigger ego than Bob Barker, but go ahead. I\'ll bite.

Richard Dawson should spring immediately to mind.

Or for something more your speed, Vince McMahon.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022