Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century to GSN.  (Read 103569 times)

chad1m

$ale of the Century to GSN.
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »

As someone who was never active on the trading scene, watched it on USA at an age too young to remember and has only seen stuff from what little is on YouTube, I\'m just happy to be seeing any of it on television again, \"bad\" era or not.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
As someone who was never active on the trading scene, watched it on USA at an age too young to remember and has only seen stuff from what little is on YouTube, I\'m just happy to be seeing any of it on television again, \"bad\" era or not.

This. And I was watching this shiat when it was first-run.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2013, 08:06:24 PM »

I\'m not disagreeing, and this era of Sale was part of my morning routine for most of my preschool days. And like I said, it\'s a positive that GSN is going after a classic from the 80s that\'s new to them.

I just see both sides to the discussion. Great that they picked it up, but would like to see other eps is all. (and considering I haven\'t seen the reruns outside of YouTube since...what, \'94?, it\'s even better.)

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

CoreyArcher

• Pick a corner
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2013, 08:18:33 PM »

Right on ... Even if the \"winner\'s big money game\" was kind of an out-of-context end game, you still get your instant bargains, $25 money card, nail-biting speed round and the ultra-suave Jim Perry. Bring it on.

JMFabiano

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:30 PM »

Right on ... Even if the \"winner\'s big money game\" was kind of an out-of-context end game, you still get your instant bargains, $25 money card, nail-biting speed round and the ultra-suave Jim Perry. Bring it on.

Yes aside from the bonus game, was anything else drastically changed about the show in this era?  Though it does lose something that the main game winnings had no outcome on the bonus anymore.  And that, well, the WBMG was another out-of-left-field bonus (think: the double or nothing game in Bergeron Squares, and I\'m sure there\'s other examples I am not thinking of.  Hot Potato is one, but even their bonus was still based on some kind of statistical information) 

My worry is the reverse of \"first season syndrome,\" as seen in DVD releases.  In that certain shows didn\'t hit their stride immediately, so when the first season sales are disappointing, we don\'t get the better ones.  If the GSN turnout, shall we say, proves why this was a shark jump again, will we get the earlier, better seasons?  I also wonder how much still exists, as we never saw the rainbow buzzer seasons on USA, for example.  

So, how did they figure in the front game winnings by the time they had the WBMG?  Did winners or otherwise get the cash they earned?  Did they always/never?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:35:46 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TimK2003

« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2013, 08:46:04 PM »

Yes aside from the bonus game, was anything else drastically changed about the show in this era? 

The last Instant Bargain, where you gave up your lead to pick one of three boxes for a chance at a progressive jackpot, was not in place in the early era of $ale.  I don\'t remember when that was instituted, though, or if it was part of the syndie version (as I never saw the syndicated episodes). I think the change from the Final 3 Questions to the Speed Round happened well before the Instant Cash bargain was implemented

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:49:41 PM by TimK2003 »

snowpeck

« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2013, 08:47:32 PM »

It doesn\'t seem we\'re getting the final 65 episodes of Sale... since the PDF shows them starting with the 11/15/88 show, that would put us about three weeks short of the final episode by the time we get to 65. (Unless they\'re planning on skipping 14 shows along the way.)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:50:33 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Bryce L.

« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »

Agreed. I have vague memories of the reruns on USA as a kid, one of the things that got me hooked on game shows, will be good to see clear copies of the show on TV soon.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2013, 10:06:54 PM »

It doesn\'t seem we\'re getting the final 65 episodes of Sale... since the PDF shows them starting with the 11/15/88 show, that would put us about three weeks short of the final episode by the time we get to 65. (Unless they\'re planning on skipping 14 shows along the way.)

Well, the show did get pre-empted for at least two weeks (ten shows) by the test run of \"At Rona\'s\"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

snowpeck

« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2013, 10:36:12 PM »

I\'m also going by a few mentions online that 1,578 episodes were produced. We\'re starting with #1499... adding 65 to that only gets 1,564.

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

SwohS Emag

« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2013, 10:43:07 PM »
PDFs are out for the weeks of 4/1 and 4/8. First episodes to air/first eps of leases  are as follows (existing shows all skip ahead to this point)

Match Game: #517 (MG 75).

PYL: #051 (11/30/83).  

$ale: #1499 (11/15/88)

Super Password: #0490 (8/18/86)

P+ [weekends]: #730 (12/16/81)

PYL has one skip early on, show #056. (12/7/83)

It also appears they will be airing the Bullseye season of O\'Hurley\'s Feud weekdays in the 5pm hour.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2013, 03:19:12 AM »
Yes aside from the bonus game, was anything else drastically changed about the show in this era? 
That was the drastic change, yes. Gone were the big expensive prizes near the end of the path, replaced by the case full o\' bucks. The idea that you had to risk your winnings to play again and win more stuff? Gone, replaced by having to win the Winner\'s Big Car Game on day seven to play for $50,000. Main game money became chips as it didn\'t make a lick of difference if you won by $1 or $100; as long as you won the game you picked up some schlock worth a few thousand dollars and got to try for a few thousand dollars. The tension, nay, the very soul and idea of the show was gone.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2013, 03:26:41 AM »
Main game money became chips as it didn\'t make a lick of difference if you won by $1 or $100; as long as you won the game you picked up some schlock worth a few thousand dollars and got to try for a few thousand dollars.

To be fair, the Winner\'s Board did the same thing. (Which I never had a problem with.) And I question

The tension, nay, the very soul and idea of the show was gone.

...since the Instant Bargains were still in play and Jim was still there trying to sweet-talk people into \"buying\" prizes.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Loogaroo

« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2013, 03:43:45 AM »

And I question

The tension, nay, the very soul and idea of the show was gone.

...since the Instant Bargains were still in play and Jim was still there trying to sweet-talk people into \"buying\" prizes.

But see, \"buying\" prizes was the crux of the show: you were offered smaller prizes right away to take home, but doing so directly affected you short-term (reducing/erasing your lead over the other two players) and long-term (needing that much more money to reach the next prize plateau). Champions - especially champions on a multiple-win streak - are probably far more likely to buy stuff knowing that A) all they need to do is win and they\'re golden regardless of what their score ends up being, and B) they\'re already amassing practically risk-free cash and prizes each time they win, so if they do get nicked at the post, they\'ve probably got a good $20K worth of cash and stuff to console them.

You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

golden-road

« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2013, 05:16:45 AM »

Curious, where do I see the PDF\'s?